Spray Foam in loft..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcmr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been looking into buying a 3 bed with scope for extending into the loft to create a master bedroom etc.

I've last week had an offer accepted on this place..

However after checking the properties loft space today, i've discovered its been spray foamed - all over.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a can of worms, i'm assuming theres not felt between the foam and tiles..

Should i avoid? Or go back to the vendor and push for a reduction.

Basically am i looking at a replacement roof here, or can a conversion be done with it in place..

Hi Guys,

Been looking into buying a 3 bed with scope for extending into the loft to create a master bedroom etc.

I've last week had an offer accepted on this place..

However after checking the properties loft space today, i've discovered its been spray foamed - all over.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a can of worms, i'm assuming theres not felt between the foam and tiles..

Should i avoid? Or go back to the vendor and push for a reduction.
https://superfoamusa.com/washingtonBasically am i looking at a replacement roof here, or can a conversion be done with it in place..
Any answers much appreciated! Thanks

Dunno about your house, but, did you know Argentina was the first Latin American country to launch an object into space?
No? Neither did I until an Argentinian mate told me the other day. Haha..bullshit, I said. You lot are are a bunch of gauchos and football fanatics who live on giant steaks!
Well..shut my mouth..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comisión_Nacional_de_Actividades_Espaciales

I don't know why you ask here, im sure the regulations and building styles are completely different to Australia.
And they are by no means uniform across Australia. but I believe he's asking if removing the foam is technically feasible.

If he does it and he's anywhere in Argentina other that Patagonia, it may get damned hot up there.

Hi @starcmr

Not sure if that type of usage of spray foam (which I assume is something like this stuff - though they'd have likely not used individual cans :https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-850ml-sika-boom-expanding-foam_p1210302) is legal in Australia - I'd imagine not.

My initial concern with it would be it's incredibly flammable - in a roof space it'd be a disaster waiting to happen unless it has some special agents added to it to avoid this. Removing it would be near impossible, would have to be physically done and it's tough stuff to get off and actually very dangerous to work with as well.

Really comes down to your confort with having such materials there and also what the rest of the structure is like. It's not ideal but is it a deal breaker? Hard to say for us.

Sounds like the previous owners skimped on the loft insulation - thats a very dodgy way to do it, if it's been there for year maybe you can get a reduction on things if you can live with - if it's new, I'd likely walk away as there's no telling how it will hold up on hot days with electrical wiring etc.

Then again as others have said a good building inspector might be able to look into it and give you their professional feedback and work arounds to ensure its not an issue i.e surrounding with non-flammable materials, avoiding using high power draw devices from power points in that room etc. :)

Latest posts

Back