Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Spray ball washing the Keg.

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Reg Holt, 10/4/19.

1. Lorenzo99

Posted 23/6/19
    Sorry to burst your bubble but that pump is only good for up to 35deg.

2. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 24/6/19
    I presume you haven't read the post I put up (16) about the temperature, I use sodium perborate at low temperature for cleaning, ideal for the fermentasaurus which needs to be cleaned at low temperatures.
    And also safer than sodium percarbonate.

3. Cian Doyle

Posted 26/6/19
    Where do you source your s/perborate? I am in Canberra but get down to Melbourne usually on a monthly basis.

4. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 26/6/19
    Sodium Perborate I get locally, it too has pro's and cons it is about $1 /kg dearer that sodium percarbonate not as green as there is a fair amount of boron going down the drain, plus side it is stable and not likely to self ignite.
    Both have a shelf life of a year so best I could advise is get a small quantity (unless you have someone to split with) of sodium percarbonate 100% a lot of the stuff you see cheap has been cut back with sodium carbonate.
    This company does small quantities and ships.
    https://www.auroracleaning.com.au/cleaning-product/Raw-Materials/Sodium-Percarbonate/39/120/

Cian Doyle likes this.
  5. beer gut

Pro Pro

Posted 29/6/19

Sodium Percarbonate has a shelf life of a year? I just got a 25kg bag in a bulk buy...

Looks like I’ve got some (a lot of) cleaning to do.

6. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 29/6/19
    My last bag of sodium Perc went for over 2 years, use it in the dishwasher and washing machine it goes quick. Just have to store it right, heres what was posted a couple of years ago about reaction.

Mardoo said:
    The brew wash that BB made in this buy started reacting. He vacuum sealed the kilos and within a few weeks they were all blown up like balloons. It didn't seem to reduce the activity in his wash as much as it did when I premixed sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate. By activity, I mean the apparent amount of gas generated by the mixture when added to water. I have no means of measuring "activity" other than observation.

I lost 5 odd kilos of perc and met once. I was sitting there on a hot night and I could here a bubbling sound. Felt the side of my bucket it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Managed to get it outside and took the lid off and attacked it with the hose. It instantly boiled on contact. It took a long time to dissolve. It was fun tho but I don't mix it anymore.
    It was 40°+ day that set it off I reckon. Glad I was in the shed that day and heard it tho.

7. HaveFun

Cheese Maker
    Posted 29/6/19
    Do you have a link to the pump ?

cheers
    stefan

8. Meddo