Spray ball washing the Keg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's what I got and what I paid. I didn't know that was a promo, I just assumed the other pumps were better quality. I have kept a digital copy of my receipt tho in case it goes pop (and will be using a surge protector too) Still waiting for spray ball tho..

Yeah, that's what I got and what I paid. I didn't know that was a promo, I just assumed the other pumps were better quality. I have kept a digital copy of my receipt tho in case it goes pop (and will be using a surge protector too) Still waiting for spray ball tho..
which spray ball did you get?

which spray ball did you get?
I went with a ebay rotary spray ball with 1/2" thread. there's plenty of identical ones listed.
p.jpg

Was in Bunnings and they have a promotion on Ozito submersible pumps at the moment $59.90. https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-7...er-submersible-pump-flood-relief-kit_p0054909

This is 780W 15,700 L/hour not the 350W 7,000 L/hour $89 Ozito pump. https://www.bunnings.com.au/compare?products=4816179,0054909,
I was looking at these, but the flow rate is huge! You're talking 10x what the spray balls need, I thought this could burn out the pump. But then again ozito warranty is pretty good.

Instead I've gone with one of these hot water recirculation pumps. Rated to 110°c, stainless housing and plastic impeller and 3 speeds. Could almost use it for hot wort. Cost about $80 from nightingales superstore in Melbourne.

Will report back on how it works. View attachment 116585
20190925_180549.jpg

I went with a ebay rotary spray ball with 1/2" thread. there's plenty of identical ones listed.
p.jpg
Thanks, I've been looking at those as I have the same pump - was seeing if you may have gone with a larger bore e.g. 3/4 or 1in

Well yeah... 8m head height only equals 0.8 bar (only 0.4X the recommended pressure) but I have over 10x the flow rate so I'm hoping that jamming all that extra liquid thru will equate in more pressure? I unno im not a hydrological engineer. but the deciding factors were
A) price
B) The ease of plonking a sump pump from one bucket from another ie from wash to rinse
C) anecdotal evidence that it will in fact do the job based on other reports here and in other forums, youtube etc
The size was based on my need to be able to wash not only kegs and fermenters but cubes and possibly erlenmeyers too.

Sure, worth trying to reduce the diameter if you are worried about water pressure but I would be surprised if it is an issue with that pump. Interested to hear how you go.

As I'm mostly keen on the idea of a cheap keg washer that works like the SS brewtech product I'm thinking I will get a "Rinser Spray Assembly" from ebay and look at a spray ball that can adapt to the end fitting on that - guessing it will be either 1/2" or 3/8". This way I can just invert whatever I'm cleaning and press it down on the rinser tap.

I was looking at these, but the flow rate is huge! You're talking 10x what the spray balls need, I thought this could burn out the pump. But then again ozito warranty is pretty good.

Instead I've gone with one of these hot water recirculation pumps. Rated to 110°c, stainless housing and plastic impeller and 3 speeds. Could almost use it for hot wort. Cost about $80 from nightingales superstore in Melbourne.

Will report back on how it works. View attachment 116585View attachment 116586
Keg King will have “Marks Keg Washer” available next month at a very affordable price. These make the whole thing very simple.

Keg King will have “Marks Keg Washer” available next month at a very affordable price. These make the whole thing very simple.

Was planning to pull the trigger and do a diy build. Can you give an idea of what a ‘very affordable price’ might be?

Was planning to pull the trigger and do a diy build. Can you give an idea of what a ‘very affordable price’ might be?
Between $150-$160 but will have better idea after the shipment arrives in.

That might be of interest to people who aren't prepared to pay the ~AU$200 posted from the US with the current poor exchange rate.

When I looked at them I thought they seemed quite flimsy compared to the SS brewtech washer which is only going to be ~$100 more than what you're aiming to sell them for.

Aside from build quality and the need to be able to wash both posts at the same time, I have other uses for a submersible pump so for ~$90 of parts including pump and fittings I'll stick to my DIY build.

That might be of interest to people who aren't prepared to pay the ~AU$200 posted from the US with the current poor exchange rate.

When I looked at them I thought they seemed quite flimsy compared to the SS brewtech washer which is only going to be ~$100 more than what you're aiming to sell them for.

Aside from build quality and the need to be able to wash both posts at the same time, I have other uses for a submersible pump so for ~$90 of parts including pump and fittings I'll stick to my DIY build.
The pump on the Brewtech unit is quite small compared to this unit but each to their own. If you can do it cheaper yourself and you have the time then of course its always fun to build your own.

The pump on the Brewtech unit is quite small compared to this unit but each to their own. If you can do it cheaper yourself and you have the time then of course its always fun to build your own.
This is an interesting one.
The Brewtech unit looks a LOT more sturdy - the plastic on the Marks unit is reported to be quite flimsy vs metal parts on Brewtech
The Brewtech unit comes with fittings to clean both inlet and outlet ports. The Marks unit can only do one at a time and you have to purchase extra parts.
The bowl on the Marks unit is small and, (especially if using foaming cleaners such as Starsan) runs the risk of overflowing. The Brewtech unit doesn't have a reservoir at all, but it IS designed for a 5 gal bucket, minimising the mess, though you do have to supply your own bucket.
Brewtech has a smaller pump which could be an issue.
And the Brewtech is designed purley for Kegs, while Marks is kegs and Carboys. I don't use Carboys so not a big one for me, but worth noting.
I especially like that the Brewtech unit attaches to the kg, so you can line up multiple buckets (wash, rinse, sanitise) and just jump the unit from one to the other. That's a LOT more efficient.

I think my personal preference would be for the more solid Brewtech Unit, possibly retrofitted with a larger pump (easy enough to do if it was necessary). The price for that unit is double the price your quoting for Marks though.
But for the added durability and convenience, I think it's a better option for me

This is an interesting one.
The Brewtech unit looks a LOT more sturdy - the plastic on the Marks unit is reported to be quite flimsy vs metal parts on Brewtech
The Brewtech unit comes with fittings to clean both inlet and outlet ports. The Marks unit can only do one at a time and you have to purchase extra parts.
The bowl on the Marks unit is small and, (especially if using foaming cleaners such as Starsan) runs the risk of overflowing. The Brewtech unit doesn't have a reservoir at all, but it IS designed for a 5 gal bucket, minimising the mess, though you do have to supply your own bucket.
Brewtech has a smaller pump which could be an issue.
And the Brewtech is designed purley for Kegs, while Marks is kegs and Carboys. I don't use Carboys so not a big one for me, but worth noting.
I especially like that the Brewtech unit attaches to the kg, so you can line up multiple buckets (wash, rinse, sanitise) and just jump the unit from one to the other. That's a LOT more efficient.

I think my personal preference would be for the more solid Brewtech Unit, possibly retrofitted with a larger pump (easy enough to do if it was necessary). The price for that unit is double the price your quoting for Marks though.
But for the added durability and convenience, I think it's a better option for me

Well of course there are always reasons why one product wins a buyer's heart over another and it always comes down to what the perceived value is. We are very happy to be able to offer Mark's units in Australia and New Zealand as its a useful addition to our expanding range of products. Mark has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure his pump carries an Australian Approval and I think it is good value for the job it does. We look forward to having them on the shelves very soon now.

The primary use for mine wasn't for keg washing, but washing and sanitising a SS conical fermenter. Hence pump needs to be remote.

The primary use for mine wasn't for keg washing, but washing and sanitising a SS conical fermenter. Hence pump needs to be remote.
You might be able to use the Fermentasaurus washer system that will soon be announced.

Cool!
Well of course there are always reasons why one product wins a buyer's heart over another and it always comes down to what the perceived value is. We are very happy to be able to offer Mark's units in Australia and New Zealand as its a useful addition to our expanding range of products. Mark has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure his pump carries an Australian Approval and I think it is good value for the job it does. We look forward to having them on the shelves very soon now.
You might be able to use the Fermentasaurus washer system that will soon be announced.
Do you think either option would work for washing round plastic fermenters, cubes or jerry cans? I ferment in 20L Bunnings jerry can's (slimmer more compact profile, I can cold crash two of them in my Kegerator and they take up a lot less space in the garage, plus they can fit about 22 litres so are the perfect volume for a 19L corny keg brew) Unfortunately they're kind of a pain to clean due to the small opening and being so narrow and cramped inside. A spray ball with decent pressure could help to scrub out the krausen and gunk inside?

Back