Spray ball washing the Keg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg Holt

Reaction score
Carried on from the KK Fermentasaurus conical thread, adapted the unit using the $10 Keg Chime which fits like a glove onto both keg and pail.

Cleaning the Snubby.
005.JPG
Drilled and tapped 1/8 BSP into connector, fitted barbs and attached gas and liquid disconnects.
003.JPG
Fitted the Keg Chime
004.JPG
Pushed on the disconnects and slotted in the keg, ready for a good flush through.
006.JPG

Whats a keg chime and where do you get one?
What pump is that?

The keg chime is the black plastic handle which runs around the top, this is similar but it sits over the pail and the keg fits into the top, so it is like a second chime. I got it from Keg King when I ordered the spray ball, they told me about them for cleaning the kegs. The pump is a $69 submersible from Bunnings.
006.JPG

The keg chime is the black plastic handle which runs around the top, this is similar but it sits over the pail and the keg fits into the top, so it is like a second chime. I got it from Keg King when I ordered the spray ball, they told me about them for cleaning the kegs. The pump is a $69 submersible from Bunnings.
View attachment 115455

Yeah, thanks. I thought your pump was an Ozito from Bunnings, I've just ordered a SS CIP ball for my Unitank, so will need a pump.
Are you happy with that pump?
I also, thought I could rig something up to clean the kegs too. I still dont get how your system works. Any chance you can elaborate a bit more.

Cheers

Does it flush through the posts ok?
Yes plenty of pressure to really flush through the posts and spin the ball.

Yeah, thanks. I thought your pump was an Ozito from Bunnings, I've just ordered a SS CIP ball for my Unitank, so will need a pump.
Are you happy with that pump?
I also, thought I could rig something up to clean the kegs too. I still dont get how your system works. Any chance you can elaborate a bit more.

Cheers

Very happy with the pump for $69 the Ozito was $89, for your unitank, without knowing how it looks, is to get a tri clamp fitting to put the spray ball onto fill the pail and check that the discharge will keep up with the pump or use a dustbin instead of the pail. Some close ups of the fittings on the pump for keg cleaning.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

View attachment 115455
Do you have a link to where you can purchase the keg chime? I had a search but couldn't find anything.

I spoke to Darren at Keg King, got put through to him when I was looking for something to hold the kegs.

Whats a keg chime and where do you get one?
What pump is that?
Interesting reading re spray ball...for those who own a Karcher pressure washer another option may be a drain cleaning hose. These are around $70 at Bunnings and are a back firing pressure hose which I think would be effective to wash a keg. Only thing is because it's back firing it will blow out of the top of the keg, but a well placed cloth would stop that happening. Consists of a round head with 4 jets facing backwards, so made to pull itself along a pipe while unblocking it. I actually own one and have used it on several occasions to unblock fatty waste and drain pipes, but not to wash kegs. Might work...

You could use a Karcher, I have the steam cleaner and used that in the past, but with the pump and spray ball set up it seems like a set and forget. Put it on for five minutes and do some other cleaning, plus the bonus of cleaning out the posts as well. I am still undecided as I generally cask as opposed to kegs even though the PET unitanks do clean easily it is tempting to set something up instead of standing there swirling the cleaning liquid around.

Isn't this a bit of an overkill for cleaning? May be my mess is easy to clean. I just rinse as soon as empty, fill with water and half a cup of perc and leave till next brew day, give it a rinse, some star san . good to go.

Isn't this a bit of an overkill for cleaning? May be my mess is easy to clean. I just rinse as soon as empty, fill with water and half a cup of perc and leave till next brew day, give it a rinse, some star san . good to go.
Cleaning can never be too thorough.

I agree, I wouldn't go to the bother of the Karcher idea, even tho I suggested it. I use dish washing detergent in good hot 60c water followed by a good cold water rinse, never had a problem...

I have had what I consider potential problems tho' as yet nothing causing infection.
Generally maybe 2 hot washes (as soon as poss after emptying keg) with water at the boil, good shake about then simply pour out the contents. I then leave upturned to drain which takes 2 days usually. But occasionally when I eyeball the keg interior I see watermarking & other residue" that I can't ID. Sometimes after standing upright I see what I think is condensation collected in small beads on the bottom. So I the repeat the whole process. I am now covering the oval access hole in the keg top assuming this will help any condensation to dry out. Typical humidity On Qld Gold Coast is around 70.
Anyone seen this?

I had a look at the pumps in Bunnings the water temperature rating is not high but I have found with sodium perborate it does work cold as long as the initial dose is dissolved and added to the cold water, which is ideal for the fermentasaurus wash. As for the kegs in the above post mabe sterilise and sanitise with Starsan or one of its clones for a few minutes before draining and drying maybe keep the keg upright to let the condensation out. Not sure not such a problem in Victoria.

Cheers WEAL I tried the SP today at low temperature, worked well ran the pump for about half hour and got rid of the crud easily.

Just ordered a CIP pump from AliExpress, can anyone recommend appropriate hose (and supplier) to use for:
  • 1" / 25mm ID
  • Max 4 bar / 60 kPa
  • Acid / alkaline / caustic resistant
  • 70+ degree heat tolerance
Need about 5 metres I reckon, preferably without breaking the bank, but also don't want to risk spraying hot CIP fluid on me or the brewery if a hose burst.

Cheers,

Back