Spent Barley Used To Grow Mushrooms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenworthy

Reaction score
Hi thinking about using my spent barley to grow some mushies been reading about it but wondering if any other members have taken the step .I was thinking the barley should be sterlie after been boiled for 60 odd minutes so could use it as a mulch over the growing medium, im going to give it a go and see what happens any advice would be appreciated regards

You shouldn't actually be boiling the spent grain... but many people use it for mulch, it doesn't need to be sterile.

Hi what I meant was that the spent grain has already been boiled so should be sterlie

but many people use it for mulch, it doesn't need to be sterile.

Also a sure fire way to keep the Relgious door knockers away. They probably think im one with the devil when they smell the rancid rotting spent grain on my front garden! :lol:

I use the spent grains as Chicken Food for my chickens - They LOVE IT!

if you need to grow mushrooms... cow pats are the best. But it's best to leave nature to run its course... :icon_cheers:

it goes well in the compost heap.

Here's link to page with various uses for spent grain ... but bulk spent grain from a brewery.
linky

The spent grain has to be composted. If you had a worm farm you could use that. I just fling some over the fence at the chooks and the rest goes in the compost bin along with all our other compostibles. Wouldn't make very good mushroom substrate, but if you put it through a worm farm it would be I'm sure.

Oh wait .. here's a link showing how to grow oyster mushies including grain in the substrate.
linky

but where would u get spores here?

Here's an international site that reckons it can send "spore prints" into Oz.
linky

OT - here's a site where you can buy an oak tree inocculated with truffles and grow your own!

linky

You can go to your closest mushroom farm and buy spent compost. They buy moist wheat\barley caked in spores in bulk.
Pack it tight into some of those foam vegetable containers you get from the markets, throw some peat moss over the top, keep it cool, moist and dark.

Viola, Shrooms!

(I used to be the compost manager of a mushroom farm....many, many moons ago)

:icon_offtopic:

OT:

What type of mushrooms are you going to grow on spent barley?

Different type of mushrooms perform best on different substrates. Shiitakes and similar love wood based substrates, I used grain to create grain masters for inoculation of the final substrates. Barley would definitely be out because it tends to clump and is claggy and invites growths of molds and other nasties. Most of the nutrients are in the husks of grains, the central sperm and seed kernels are usually too nutrient dense. The mycelium produce enzymes to break down the cellulose fibers and grow berserk on the hulls while stall and halt when encountering the kernel inside.

And good luck with Oak/Truffle trees. Truffles are symbiotic which means you need to culture the entire environment, if you don't have the *specific* soil bacteria required for that species of truffle you won't get anything. Unless there is a new breakthrough in truffle culture, the success rate in the past with inoculated tree saplings was extremely low.

If you're into mushrooms, then a start would be
http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/cultivation.html

And if you're seriously into it as a hobby make sure you get Growing Gormet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets on Amazon if not available locally. (One of the mushroom bibles).

Now if I only had my entire laminar flow wall forced air hepa filtration unit, I could do some serious playing with yeasts and agar plates and strain isolation, culture and cataloguing :) -- ok evil scientist mode ebbing away... would cost me a bomb to get bacticinerators and other lab gear over here to set up. Could get by with an old fashioned glove box, could build that with parts from bunnings :)

Oh wait .. here's a link showing how to grow oyster mushies including grain in the substrate.
linky

You don't or don't really want to try. I'm not sure what the laws are here, but its not worth it or needed.

If you have fresh oyster mushrooms or other mushrooms you wish to clone you simply in a glove box or in front of a laminar flow hood slice the mushroom open then with a sterilized scalpel cut a small square of mushroom material from the stem or other area. Transfer this to a agar plate or sterilized jar of grain and in a few weeks the mushroom mycelium grows through the entire plate or jar.

With jars, using grain you can shake up the jar making lots of broken up chunks. You can then use this to make other new jars or to inoculate the growing substrate directly.

Just like yeast, mushrooms bought in the store are selected "strains" that are bought specifically for vigor, fruiting ability, etc. Starting with spores is like pitching every single packet of yeast in a LHBS into a beer wort. You end up with hundreds of multiple strains and then have to go to all the work of isolating them and growing them out to test for vigor, fruiting, etc.

Save time and bypass the spores and harvest the mycelium directly.

Oyster mushrooms would love spent grain as a "grow-out" media.

Most mushroom mycelia (sp), that the white stuff from which the mushies fruit from, is grown on a grain based media, (typically bird seed), after growing on agar.

if you can grow oyster mushrooms on spent coffee grinds you can do it off spent grain.

I don't think the spent grain would smell bad because all the "bugs" would be killed off during boiling.

I'll have a read up in my paul statments book when I get home and see if there is more info in that

Anyone have any luck with growing on spent barley?

Never tried it, but I had to laugh really hard while reading the first seven posts...

Latest posts

Back