Specific gravity not changing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurlux

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I'm brewing my first ever batch which is still bubbling away after 10 days but the specific gravity hasn't changed in the past 5 days (sitting at 1020).

I made a few basic errors during the initial stages and have resigned myself to the fact ivI' basically brewed a light beer but happy to bottle it as long as I don't get bottle bombs going off in the garage...

If the specific gravity isn't changing, is it safe to bottle or do I need to wait for it to stop bubbling? It's cold in the garage but I've used a heat pas which has kept the wort at a consistent 22°-24°

Using a basic extract kit with just the run of the mill extract can. I think I added too much boiling water at the start and the wort was too hot when I added the yeast is my guess as to the issue. Just confused that it's still bubbling but specific gravity isn't changing...

What do I do??? Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers.

I’m a noob with only a handful of brews under my belt so I am not really one to listen too...

I have a clear fermenter and notice fermentation has some obvious physical changes you can see over time. Airlocks on the other hand can deceive as changes in air pressure will cause them to bubble irrespective of any actual fermentation activity. .

It sounds like it’s done - what yeast did you use ? The manufactures publish spec sheets for guidance (ie Nottingham 4 days @20C) - did you get an obvious Krausen and then did it subside ? I notice in my fermentasaurus that by the time I reach FG ( I give it 7 -10 days to be safe) the Krausen has usually totally disappeared by FG.

How does it taste ?

If you were worried about bombs you could use the home brew pet bottles that should be safer than glass.

Congrats on the first brew - I had 3 dodgy outcomes before setting up a temp controlled fridge and it’s been smooth sailing since then.

What are you using to measure the FG? If you're using a refractometer the reading needs to be corrected for fermented wort, which will result in a lower SG value.

G'day guys,

I'm brewing my first ever batch which is still bubbling away after 10 days but the specific gravity hasn't changed in the past 5 days (sitting at 1020).

I made a few basic errors during the initial stages and have resigned myself to the fact ivI' basically brewed a light beer but happy to bottle it as long as I don't get bottle bombs going off in the garage...

If the specific gravity isn't changing, is it safe to bottle or do I need to wait for it to stop bubbling? It's cold in the garage but I've used a heat pas which has kept the wort at a consistent 22°-24°

Using a basic extract kit with just the run of the mill extract can. I think I added too much boiling water at the start and the wort was too hot when I added the yeast is my guess as to the issue. Just confused that it's still bubbling but specific gravity isn't changing...

Not much you can do if you added yeast in to hot wort, yeast is a single cell organism which has survived for billions of years, it has to be respected for its survival instinct, but heat I'm afraid is its downfall. Freeze it OK heat is a no no.

G'day guys,

Which can did you use? Did you add any brewing sugars to the mix? How many litres did you make the batch up to? Did you steep any spec malts like crystal etc.? Did you add any hops? What was the starting gravity? Which yeast did you use to ferment it with?

1020 seems a bit high.

Thanks for all the replies, people.

Just using the hydrometer that came with the kit... Narrow tube with the floating stem. Didn't take a reading until about 5 days in and that was 1020... Ended up bottling on the 13th day and it was still 1020. Tasted pretty good despite my best efforts to ruin it. There was a decent krausen above the wort if that's a good sign?

Just used the Morgan's Stockman's Draught that came with the kit. Was in a hurry to get to work so I didn't have time to let the wort cool before I added the yeast from the sachet that came in the can... Don't worry, I've learnt a lesson there. Didn't add any Hopps or anything else.

I was more concerned about the bottles exploding but so far so good... Used the carbonation drops so one less thing to worry about.

I'm hoping it tastes alright based on the test I gave it before bottling. If it's low strength, so be it.

Thanks again everyone for your help. My second batch is on, I think I've done a better job this yime around! Cheers.

Which can did you use? Did you add any brewing sugars to the mix? How many litres did you make the batch up to? Did you steep any spec malts like crystal etc.? Did you add any hops? What was the starting gravity? Which yeast did you use to ferment it with?

1020 seems a bit high.

Forgot to mention, just used 1kg of dextrose (again, came in the kit)...

1020 seems a bit high. Could be the yeast you are using. You can check if the hydrometer is accurate by placing it in clean water.

Was in a hurry to get to work so I didn't have time to let the wort cool before I added the yeast from the sachet that came in the can... Don't worry, I've learnt a lesson there.

What was the pitch temperature because this will likely be your issue? You're best to wait, even if that means not pitching until you get home from work.

are they in glass bottles ?

1020 for can and kilo Id def be careful around them

This is where I'm confused .... All the instructions I read tell me that it should start around 1010 and finish at 1040 so I thought 1020 was low!

F$#@sake... Thanks for the heads up... I thought that made more sense sinve wort definitely appears more dense than beer!

1.020 is way high for a kit and kilo of dextrose. It should be about 1.005 give or take. If you test the hydrometer in water, just make sure the water is at the right temp otherwise you'll get an incorrect calibration. They're usually calibrated to 20C. It's unlikely that the hydrometer would be out by 10-15 points but I guess it's possible.

Probably more likely that pitching the yeast too warm killed a percentage of it and what was left was in less than great health and just gave up.

1.020 is way high for a kit and kilo of dextrose. It should be about 1.005 give or take. If you test the hydrometer in water, just make sure the water is at the right temp otherwise you'll get an incorrect calibration. They're usually calibrated to 20C. It's unlikely that the hydrometer would be out by 10-15 points but I guess it's possible.

Probably more likely that pitching the yeast too warm killed a percentage of it and what was left was in less than great health and just gave up.

Yeah I've pretty much written this one off! 2nd brew is on and I think is much healthier

I did a nz golden kit thet flattened out at around 1020. Its sg was about 1050.

Unfermentables.

There won't be many unfermentables in a kit and kilo of dextrose. Certainly nowhere near enough to have it finishing at 1.020. Dextrose leaves nothing behind but alcohol, and a lack of flavor. You'll get better results by adding light dry malt instead of dextrose, or at least a majority of malt.

Anyway, everything is a learning experience, hopefully the next brew fares better!

Back