Sparkling Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a Heritage Series Sparkling Ale kit and 1.5kg LME to go with.

Should i add more sugars? The kit says to add 500g of LDME and 300g of dex. My homebrew guy said i just needed the LME in place of the sugar. I also have some hops to add (the tea bag type) called Super alpha??

Would adding brown sugar to this kit be a good or bad idea?

Cheers

Hi,

I have just bought a Heritage Series Sparkling Ale kit and 1.5kg LME to go with.

Should i add more sugars? The kit says to add 500g of LDME and 300g of dex. My homebrew guy said i just needed the LME in place of the sugar. I also have some hops to add (the tea bag type) called Super alpha??

Cheers

Scrap the brown sugar. If you add some dex in place of the extra malt your beer wont be as full bodied. Personally I would add the 300g dex, but each to their own.

Hi,

Cheers
I'd be inclined to leave the brown sugar for a toucan stout/dark ale. If you've got a quality kit, I'd be using LDME.

Hi,

Cheers

That's a good kit, perhaps make it as specified if you've never done it before - then when you make it next, experiment with it. It is a lot more full bodied and gutsy with all LME.

Brown sugar will thin it out too much (so would dex).

Plus the sugar will add to the alc content as it will ferment out completely, the malt won't convert as much to alc as dex would.

The hop tea bag? Meh... you might get a bit from it. Bung it in. You'd be better off boiling some pellets in LDME and water for 20-30mins if you really want to add more hop bitterness.

It's always good to do a kit first time out as recommended to get an idea of what it needs to suit your personal drinking prefs.

I have just put down yesterday:

TC Sparkling Ale Kit
500g Dry Wheat Malt Extract
300g Rye Caramel Malt (Weyermann)Not Geordie :lol: ( steeped for 30 mins at 65 C )
1 Kg DLME
350g Raw Sugar ( Coles on special )

25g Amarillo 20 mins
15g Amarillo 10 mins

US-05 yeast

expecting to dry hop another 15g after 5 days.

Looks familiar?? a slight adaptation of Dr. Smurtos world famous Golden Ale Recipe.

fairly dark looking in the fermenter might be more of an amber.

Expecting a good result from this one. :)

I put the standard kit down on Saturday. Currently brewing at 17-18 degrees which I will leave for at least 2 weeks.

Fermentation appears to be slow and steady. Standard yeast was a combo of lager and ale stains. Pitched at 22-23 degrees.

On the 3rd day of fermentation I was getting some fairly strong sulphury smells. However this has since settled down and it is smelling as per normal.

I used 1.5kg of Black Rock Light LME, 500 g of LDM and 300g of Glucose.

Just a general question inspired by the above. If you pitch a "combination" of yeasts aren't you: a) putting each strain into direct competetion; and B) either underpitching each strain, or alternatively pitching enough of each strain but possibly over-pitching the brew?

Actually, the yeast that comes with the kit is a combination of an ale and lager strain (as with most of the high-end Coopers kits).

Ah, cool. Thanks.

I made this as per instruction.... The coopers sparling can pluss......1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt and 300g White sugar. I went the sugar over the Dextrose just because i thought it would work better. the coopers site recomends you can use either white sugar or the dextrose. - made up to 23 litres.
only been in the bottle for 2 and a half weeks.....had one yesterday and its very very near the comercial Sparkling Ale! Bloody Lovley!

Just a general question inspired by the above. If you pitch a "combination" of yeasts aren't you: a) putting each strain into direct competetion; and B) either underpitching each strain, or alternatively pitching enough of each strain but possibly over-pitching the brew?

Reading brew like a monk suggests several strains are not uncommon in many brews (specifically some of the American-Belgians described).

I don't know much about it but my guess is that while one may eventually dominate, all strains will start eating sugars, converting and doing the general yeast thing which will impart different flavours to the resulting brew. Domination of a single strain would not be instant.

I made this as per instruction.... The coopers sparling can pluss......1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract, 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt and 300g White sugar. I went the sugar over the Dextrose just because i thought it would work better. the coopers site recomends you can use either white sugar or the dextrose. - made up to 23 litres.
only been in the bottle for 2 and a half weeks.....had one yesterday and its very very near the comercial Sparkling Ale! Bloody Lovley!

G'day mate. As you can see above, I did the same mix last Saturday. Just wondering what your final hydrometer reading was?

I checked last night and it was at 1015. Not long to go...

Back