Spare Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I am wondering how many keggers keep a spare gas bottle for unexpected run outs?

Cheers,
UNT

i have two a 2.6 and a 6kg MKOL

got a bargain deal on some stuff so bought it..... otherwise not sure i would

it's handy but depends on your access to gas refills really imo

I have a 6kg main tank, and a 400g that I use for the mobile setup, it also doubles as a backup.
400g dispenses about 100l give or take, plenty of time to get the big one refilled

I have a 2.6kg connected for "top up" carbonation and dispensing; a 6kg converted fire extinguisher for purging, force carbonation and any other co2 requirements.

I have a 6kg KK, a 6.8kg MKOL, 6kg fire extinguisher, and 3 soda stream and a couple boxes of bulbs. I live in the country so getting refills can be painful or a long drive. Saying that I'm probably good till then end of next year

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles. One in the keezer and another in the shed that I use for the keg conditioning fridge, purging, cleaning etc. The one in the shed also serves as a backup for when the keezer gas runs out. Also have a soda stream adaptor if I get really desperate.

not yet, only one 6kg atm, but ive been keeping my eye out for a 2.6kg locally that i plan to have as a backup.

God has arranged for me to live just up the hill from BOC.
As I have lived in regional areas for the last n years I have never gone the kegs on legs or similar deals or I would surely have been gasless on many an occasion.

Costs me a schooner a week for rental, no biggie.

Yep the SS bottle is great coz i can get refills from a supermarket just about any time.

I don't, but I serve at a fairly high pressure so unless I'm looking to carb a beer I can get away with a few days easy just using the pressure that's in the keg.

When I'm carbing a keg I shut the gas off to the others because I only have one reg, I can usually go 3-4 days before I notice a drop in pressure and have to hook back up.

If I were in a real pinch I do have 16g charges, but that'd be kinda costly... though looking at a SS bottle for portable mini keg dispensing, so there'll be that...

What have you guys done since sodastream changed the valve pin to a more flattened shape a few years back? I use a little nut and a square piece of gaff. Which works OK. Have new adapters come out to fit the new valves?

I have a spare LPG (9 kg) bottle and a spare 6.8 kg CO2 bottle, as the OP did not specify what type of gas.

Latest posts

Back