Somewhere To Go For Lunch In Sydney.......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollux

RoachHaus Brewery
Reaction score
In celebration of the missus getting her first paycheque in years this week (she has returned after taking are of our daughter for the last 2 years) my inlaws have agreed to come mind said child so we can go out for lunch.....

Only problem is, a lack of locations come to mind.....We were thinking Belgian Beer Cafe in the rocks, but realised we'd be lucky to escape with change from $150 by the time we had 2 courses each plus drinks....

Long story short, I need a place with lots of quality beers to choose from, decent food and reasonably priced, in the CBD pref as the missus wants to go shopping while we are there....

Ideas????

The Local Taphouse Darlington. Lots of beer options. I've only had the chips there but they were some fancy arse chips.

Edit: Actually it still may not be open for lunch on weekdays.

Gah, bloody wife :p

"I'm more in the mood for traditional pubfare".........

So I think she wants a tasty serve of calamari and chips, or a chicken burger.....

At this rate, I'll end up at the BBC anyway...

Lord Nelson might fit the bill, if pizza's at the Australian does not float your boat

+1 Lord Nelson

Other suggestions to think about:

Doma Unas in Potts Point
http://www.unasdoma.com.au/

There is the Courhouse in Newtown (unsure what is on tap - hear a report that the Justice Ale tasted unusually like chocolate of late)

Shakespeare Hotel in Surry Hills, usually decent beers and decent food at a decent price with a decent atmosphere, I love the place.

Concordia Club in Tempe, German beer on tap, expect accordians and dancing, expect an early finishing time too.

You could go the pubs around Victoria St in Darlinghurst like the Darlo Bar and Green Park Hotel (unsure what either currently have on tap), and have plenty of food options if you are open to separating the two activities.

ED: I just realised you meant lunch and not dinner.

Well, the Australian has won.....

Shall report back when I have returned this afternoon, expect a poorly worded post...

Mate, congrats!!! My partners first paycheck in a year comes in next week :super: Bloody kids getting in the way of brewing funds :lol:

Got anymore info on the Courthouse? Looking for a good pub around that area.

ahhhhh sometime's I really miss Sydney.... I would of gone the BBQ King in China Town then onto the pubs later.

going for lunch at the Prague cafe this weekend, i love that place. 5 pils on tap tp choose from, more bottles too.

Got anymore info on the Courthouse? Looking for a good pub around that area.

It is OK, bit of a pain when it is super busy, but generally a good place to whet your whistle.

I think that their own beer "Justice Ale" is brewed by Red Oak from memory, and is basically an Amarillo pale ale, like an amped up JSGA. A friend of mine stopped through a few weeks ago and said that it tasted like chocolate milk, though it still had the Amarillo flavour, so apparently wasn't a mix up. This is pure hear/say though.

They generally have one or two other decent beers on tap such as LC offerings.

ED: The food is mostly fried stuff, which I am not a fan of. But in Newtown, you have more than a couple of other options there.

It is OK, bit of a pain when it is super busy, but generally a good place to whet your whistle.

I think that their own beer "Justice Ale" is brewed by Red Oak from memory, and is basically an Amarillo pale ale, like an amped up JSGA. A friend of mine stopped through a few weeks ago and said that it tasted like chocolate milk, though it still had the Amarillo flavour, so apparently wasn't a mix up. This is pure hear/say though.

They generally have one or two other decent beers on tap such as LC offerings.

ED: The food is mostly fried stuff, which I am not a fan of. But in Newtown, you have more than a couple of other options there.
Thanks for the info, if it atleast has LCPA it warrants a visit. Seems like the Justice Ale become an American Brown ale.. too bad it's pay day.

Whenever I'm in Sydney fulfilling my other hobby of tramping around all day and photographing Victorian terrace houses and streetscapes I normally totally lose the plot and end up:

Big selection of curries at the Tamara North Indian Diner in King Street Newtown (the downstairs section with the bain maries) then on to the Irish Pub for a Guinness and a JS, then on to the Townie for a St Peters blonde :icon_drool2: or three and play the pokies with all the derros while I'm waiting for the train to Redfern to see if I can finally sneak in and get some pictures of the block . :ph34r: :ph34r:

Tamana's is OK, Thai Pothong is Ok as well.
I think the townie is only a welcome addition to my life after everything else is closed though and I am drunk enough to tolerate it. That said I seem to frequent it...

If you feel like non-beer times, Madame Fling Flongs is a little lounge bar above Soni's restaurant, they do a pretty good negroni.

After moving there, I think it's a bit overrated. Though the good thing is there is a microbrewery a couple of streets away from me. Hopefully they sell at the door might give that a go tonight.

Back