Sodastream getting into "home brewing"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be Lion to yourself if you thought that idea would work.

I remember the 2L soft drink bottles (BribieG will back me up on this). Easy way to store beer when you want to bottle. Washing, sterlising and bottling was done in no time.

And without his moronship Mr BirnBaum's stupid sodastream beer goo.

I won't waste the undeserved time commenting on the product. I will however suggest something else that will get this off shelves fast in Australia...
Every tried cordial straight from the bottle? Pretty strong right?
Ever been a university student or apprentice looking for a fast way to get smashed?
I know exactly what's going to happen with the concentrate.

Ever been a university student or apprentice looking for a fast way to get smashed?

Back in my day we had high-ABV lemon essence for such things. No ID required!

*cough..*

benylin-codeine-cough-syrup-100ml.jpg

I won't waste the undeserved time commenting on the product. I will however suggest something else that will get this off shelves fast in Australia...

The high alc% of the concentrate combined with our crazy alcohol excise system probably means that using a system like this would be more expensive than just buying a slab of the same beer at normal dilution.

Yeah, also the fact that alcoholic drink concentrates are so flammable that they are actually classed as dangerous goods. Alcohol and sugar = bomb fuel. Thusly they need to be stored and transported in accordance with regulations.

Back in my day we had high-ABV lemon essence for such things. No ID required!
Queen vanilla essence. 250 ml bottle. Large Maccas Thickshake.

They've taken the alcohol out of it now.

How strong? Keep away from naked flames gives the clue.

There used to be an essence you could by from homebrew shops called sempori I think, that you would use with boiled water and sugar to make sambucca that got banned for this exact reason, pretty sure this would not be legal here!

well lets face it sodastream is sold on economy rather than the quality of the soft drinks . we had one when I was a kid and the drinks were pretty crap

If soda stream "homebrew" is a whack cheaper that buying cases then they will sell a few . not me , but to someone

That's the problem mongey, there is every indication that this will follow the Tap King debacle, due to excise law and what SodaStream will justify as a premium for "convenience". I'll bet per litre they won't be cheaper than a case of cheap lager,

Hoyts alcohol essence was popular with the young'uns back in the 90s. Was available in the supermarket. Banned for obvious reasons ..

Hoyts alcohol essence was popular with the young'uns back in the 90s. Was available in the supermarket. Banned for obvious reasons ..
Yeah at least lemon essence wasn't immediately obvious about it..

There used to be an essence you could by from homebrew shops called sempori I think, that you would use with boiled water and sugar to make sambucca that got banned for this exact reason, pretty sure this would not be legal here!
And that is exactly how i woke up in the emergency department as a 16 year old, ah the memories, just kidding I don't remember a thing about the entire evening.

Queen vanilla essence. 250 ml bottle. Large Maccas Thickshake.

They've taken the alcohol out of it now.

How strong? Keep away from naked flames gives the clue.

Nice. That idea seems tailor made for a discrete sup on public transport. Hop on at central, glassy eyed by the western suburbs.

True story: when I was probably about Dave70's age I was a bit of a lad and at one stage I had a 33 y.o. girlfriend who used to turn heads - part Scottish Gypsy but had been to Brisbane Girls Grammar - beautiful, intelligent, sassy, walked like two boys fighting under a blanket. End stage alcoholic.

Had to call it a day when she drank a litre bottle of Listerine at 3 a.m. when I'd brought her over to my place for a detox weekend. Still remember the scene - you wouldn't want to know what Listerine looks like when it's regurgitated all over someone's hair and they have collapsed naked into a pool of it. Still, one light at the end of the tunnel, she didn't find my vanilla essence.

Latest posts

Back