• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Soda Stream Adaptor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
afromaiko - Not sure where you saw 750g on the cylinder?? It has a water capacity of 0.82L / 820ml which means it can only be filled to 540g of CO2.

Also - in relation to your query about changing the bottle with pressure still dialled into the Regulator - I was able to unscrew the cylinder with pressure in the lines (there is a bleed off when partially unscrewed) and the Regulator/line holds the pressure long enough to immediately attach a replacement cylinder. Not sure how, but after about 10 seconds, the pressure in the regulator is bled out if you don't reattach a cylinder.

How's the adjustibility of the ozito regulator? or would you need to run a 2nd reg for fine tuning?

It's infinitely adjustable and I guess it comes down to how steady your hand is. I'm new to this use, so what level of adjustability do you need? Are we talking fractions of a psi?

The threads on the adjusting knob are fairly fine, so the Regualtor spring isn't compressed much by each part of a turn. Haven't got the kit with me to check exactly how much movement to move 1psi, but am guessing it might be the equivalent of an hour or two on a clockface.

It's infinitely adjustable and I guess it comes down to how steady your hand is. I'm new to this use, so what level of adjustability do you need? Are we talking fractions of a psi?

The threads on the adjusting knob are fairly fine, so the Regualtor spring isn't compressed much by each part of a turn. Haven't got the kit with me to check exactly how much movement to move 1psi, but am guessing it might be the equivalent of an hour or two on a clockface.

Sounds interesting, let us know how you get on.

One thing I'm concerned about is whether the gas would leak from the swivel fittings on the hose over time if left permanently on. Is there any sign of hissing at all?

Also, with the regulator, are you able to turn it all the way down so essentially turning it off?

Can definitely turn it all the way off. The adjuster knob comes out a lot further after it hits 0psi, so there's no chance of engaging the regulator spring inside.

Regarding leaking lines, I haven't heard any hissing, but I can do a test on them to see how good they are. Best way to check this sort of thing is to check for bubbles under water.

It depends who you talk to on the helpdesk at Kmart & BigW. I had 3 old soda stream bottles from my father in-laws estate & I was able to change one old steel bottle for a new aluminium bottle over at Kmart only to be told 2 hours later that they do not exchange old for new. I then tried the local BigW store, the first time it was a simple exchange & the second time, although there was a note in the soda stream exchange box not to exchange old for new they changed them over. My advice is to change your old bottles over as soon as possible at the weekend when there is more chance that temps are on duty. Sorry I cannot encourage the filling of the old bottles at home as I value my life & limbs more than $33 for a new soda stream bottle.

Can definitely turn it all the way off. The adjuster knob comes out a lot further after it hits 0psi, so there's no chance of engaging the regulator spring inside.

Regarding leaking lines, I haven't heard any hissing, but I can do a test on them to see how good they are. Best way to check this sort of thing is to check for bubbles under water.

I'd probably end up making up a whole new hose. Did you buy the Ozito kit mainly for the purpose of kegging? Apart from the lack of an o-ring seal, do the Soda Stream bottles actually screw into the thread or are they totally different?

If it did screw in might be possible to shove a rubber washer up inside the regulator part when using the SS bottles. I found tap washers were a perfect replacement for my Soda Stream machine's old weathered sealing washer.

Have got my unit with me at the workshop, so have done some more checking etc.

- .74kg is stamped on the cylinder, but this relates to the weight of the cylinder with no valve and no gas.

- 0.82L is also stamped (water capacity) and 540g of CO2 marked on the label. This is because you can only fill CO2 to 66% of the weight of water according to the standards etc.

- I checked the thread on the SS cylinder against the Ozito one. They're the same thread type, but the SS bottle doesn't engage with the Ozito regulator (there's a pin inside the Ozito Reg that isn't long enough to get there), but I would assume that if you have an adapter that works with SS, with a tap washer and removing the o-ring from the Ozito bottle, you could make it all work fairly easily - just be careful that the threads are screwed in more than about 2 turns of the cylinder.

- I also checked for small adjustments on the Regulator. It is marked in 2psi increments and it is pretty easy to adjust by 1psi and less. As I thought, if you turn the adjustment knob about 1 hour on a clock face it is about 1psi movement at the 20 - 30psi range (needs more turn as the pressure gets higher to move up 1psi)

- I also did a leak test with the whole rig in a big bucket of water. The Reg & cylinder are fine and the swivel points on the hose are fine, the only issue was the threaded connection to the compressed air fittings on each end. Just needed to unscrew these and put some more Teflon tape on there to stop the few bubbles that were coming out.

- afromaiko - To answer your last query. I got the Ozito kit for it's normal purpose for use with tools, then wondered about kegging, so found this forum. I work with gases in my day job too, so this is an interesting area I hadn't considered before.

Have got my unit with me at the workshop, so have done some more checking etc.

- .74kg is stamped on the cylinder, but this relates to the weight of the cylinder with no valve and no gas.

- 0.82L is also stamped (water capacity) and 540g of CO2 marked on the label. This is because you can only fill CO2 to 66% of the weight of water according to the standards etc.

- I checked the thread on the SS cylinder against the Ozito one. They're the same thread type, but the SS bottle doesn't engage with the Ozito regulator (there's a pin inside the Ozito Reg that isn't long enough to get there), but I would assume that if you have an adapter that works with SS, with a tap washer and removing the o-ring from the Ozito bottle, you could make it all work fairly easily - just be careful that the threads are screwed in more than about 2 turns of the cylinder.

- I also checked for small adjustments on the Regulator. It is marked in 2psi increments and it is pretty easy to adjust by 1psi and less. As I thought, if you turn the adjustment knob about 1 hour on a clock face it is about 1psi movement at the 20 - 30psi range (needs more turn as the pressure gets higher to move up 1psi)

- I also did a leak test with the whole rig in a big bucket of water. The Reg & cylinder are fine and the swivel points on the hose are fine, the only issue was the threaded connection to the compressed air fittings on each end. Just needed to unscrew these and put some more Teflon tape on there to stop the few bubbles that were coming out.

- afromaiko - To answer your last query. I got the Ozito kit for it's normal purpose for use with tools, then wondered about kegging, so found this forum. I work with gases in my day job too, so this is an interesting area I hadn't considered before.

Some great info there, thanks Co2 guy. I think I will go the Ozito way. I wonder if the price will come down on the gear, I'm surprised they didn't offer it even cheaper originally to get it into the marketplace. I also wonder about the supply of cylinder refills if the Ozito CO2 idea doesn't take off.

afromaiko - that looks a lot smaller than the ozito one.

Has anyone successfully done this with the ozito setup?

it's a pretty good deal except you'll also need to worry about getting the cylinder re-tested after 5 years at who knows what cost. BOC and others won't fill these cylinders for you because they don't own them.

I've been told by a CO2 gas refiller that a new cylinder doesnt need to be tested for 10 years, but it must be done every 5 years after that initial period. Testing is in the realm of $10-$20 dollars.

except you'll also need to worry about getting the cylinder re-tested after 5 years at who knows what cost. BOC and others won't fill these cylinders for you because they don't own them.
I'm not sure but I wouldn't have thought we'd need to worry about that.
The cylinders are change overs, you take your empty in and they swap it for a full one, so they couldn't track you to one particular cylinder.
I can't even remember getting any kind of contract, just a receipt for the amount of the bottle/gas and all the other stuff I can't help buying when I walk into G&G.

Btw, saw on the telly tonight an add for a Current Affair about making a quick million and saw a "keg on legs" van in the add.

afromaiko - that looks a lot smaller than the ozito one.
Has anyone successfully done this with the ozito setup?

It's the same regulator, even has the same name printed on the dial. The cylinders in those links are only 9oz though, the Ozito setup is using 20oz ones and they are the same as paintball cylinders. If you can find a cheap paintball refiller you can purchase them from paintball places cheaper than Bunnings is selling them:

http://paintballaustralia.com.au/Co2.htm

http://www.ppba.com.au/Cylinders.htm

Back to this: Are the US Micromatic regulators compatible with either the CGA320 thread, or the adapters that are being sold for SS bottles?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't have thought we'd need to worry about that.
The cylinders are change overs, you take your empty in and they swap it for a full one, so they couldn't track you to one particular cylinder.
I can't even remember getting any kind of contract, just a receipt for the amount of the bottle/gas and all the other stuff I can't help buying when I walk into G&G.

Btw, saw on the telly tonight an add for a Current Affair about making a quick million and saw a "keg on legs" van in the add.

Hi,

Wish it was me on telly but it was those blokes who home deliver beer.

Cheers,

MKOL's

I'd probably end up making up a whole new hose. Did you buy the Ozito kit mainly for the purpose of kegging?

Good to see this thread is long lived and full of good info. I've been scratching around for all the bits for a party keg system (wish I'd seen the plastic keg idea before buying my mini keg!) and the Ozito kit suits my needs quite nicely, it will also be handy for other uses such as spray-painting models that I build, and all in a nice-neat package. At the end of the day it works out a few funbills more expensive than a self-built kit but it has a full warranty and is designed to be operated as a kit.

I have just pulled the fitting off the end of the supplied hose, looking to connect the hose direct to the gas barb. Then I though I may add in disconnects on the beer and gas lines so I can quickly connect it for forced carbonation. Or something.

Now I just need my disconnects to arrive and I'm set for a mini-keg debut next weekend :)

Cheers!
Mullet

Good to see this thread is long lived and full of good info. I've been scratching around for all the bits for a party keg system (wish I'd seen the plastic keg idea before buying my mini keg!) and the Ozito kit suits my needs quite nicely, it will also be handy for other uses such as spray-painting models that I build, and all in a nice-neat package. At the end of the day it works out a few funbills more expensive than a self-built kit but it has a full warranty and is designed to be operated as a kit.

I have just pulled the fitting off the end of the supplied hose, looking to connect the hose direct to the gas barb. Then I though I may add in disconnects on the beer and gas lines so I can quickly connect it for forced carbonation. Or something.

Now I just need my disconnects to arrive and I'm set for a mini-keg debut next weekend :)

Cheers!
Mullet

Make sure to check well for leaks, as those small bottles will disappear quick if the gas escapes. Please post some pics or let us know of your results!

hey guys, bit of a thread-mine here... sorry for that...

was there any consensus on the fittings on the otizo/bunnings CO2 cylinders - are they the same as the soda-stream bottles? do the same adaptors work?
what's the cheapest way to get a SS bottle or suitable paint-ball bottle, kmart or somewhere I am guessing? (for the s-s anyway)

I am building a miracle box / portable setup. Will do carbing and stuff from my dirty great big F cylinder in the shed, dispense with a small bottle etc.
cheers :)

sorry to dredge up an old thread.

do bunnings do a "swap 'n go" style thing with Ozito CO2

I've just been given a cheap Taiwanese CO2 regulator that a friend bought off eBay for me to knock up a party keg system for him with. (ebay link to the same item/seller http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aquatic-CO2-Regulat...=item3f0417262b)

Would this kind of regulator be safe to use with a Sodastream bottle (don't really want to create an Aluminium bomb) and is there an adapter that would fit it?

Latest posts

Back