Soda Stream Adapter and Reg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I've got twice as much spam as you Zorco, and also haven't got the adapter yet.

Ziggy when you mentioned they are shipping what they had, and some people will need to wait for the second batch, was there any indication when that second batch might go out?

I was told that there would be about a week delay at the time, but I have a new Prob that will need to addressed I just came back from my mates place PJ and his new adapter does not screw right down on SS bottle.. see pics attached.

If anyone has this problem please advise me as they will need to be sent back and replaced, I will wait till everyone has their adapters, and if need be I would like them all sent to me and I will deal with it as a whole.

I hoping this is a 1 off in the making but things can go wrong as we know. the pics show his new one and old one and attached to the SS bottle.

20161219_173135.jpg 20161219_173208_001.jpg

20161219_173358.jpg 20161219_173422.jpg

as you see in the first pic the thread does not go right to the bottom of the adapter.

Rgds
Chris

DU99 is correct! There should be an O-ring or some kind of sealing washer. Perhaps still in the parcel somewhere?

Still to receive mine as yet. No spam mail ATM. :D

Hi

Yes there is a flat rubber washer in the new ones but if you look at the pics I posted you see that the adapter does not fully screw down not enough thread even with washer, we tested it today and added another flat washer it sealed ok than.. but that's not the point shouldn't have to put 2 washers in there to seal.

pic1 shows thread about 3mm short of the bottom as were in pic 2 the thread goes right to the bottom of the adapter.

pic1 is the new pic2 is the one brought before the BB, and btw I have emailed Karol at CO2Art with this problem will let you know in time..

but please if you get your adapter and it looks like pic1 you need to let me know.

rgds

It doesn't really matter if the thread goes all the way down to the bottom does it? it seals at the top of the Sodastream bottle against the inside seat of the adapter, as long as there is enough thread to hold it in place it doesn't matter how far down it goes on the outside? Or am I missing something.

That's right. I asked this question of a mechanical power engineer when I started brewing and that was the answer. In fact, we don't actually need that much thread contact to develop the required sealing force and be within the tolerances of the metal. A thicker nylon seal will work

Yeah putting a thicker seal will work, but with the standard seal in there, the adapter doesn't have a enough thread for it to seal.

Hi Ziggy
I tried mine this morning and have the same issue, so you're not going crazy. I don't think a bigger seal is the correct solution.
Cheers
Aan

TJP said:
It doesn't really matter if the thread goes all the way down to the bottom does it? it seals at the top of the Sodastream bottle against the inside seat of the adapter, as long as there is enough thread to hold it in place it doesn't matter how far down it goes on the outside? Or am I missing something.
True, but it needs to screw in far enough to compress the washer which is not happening
The supplied washer is about 50% thicker than the washer in the adapter I had obtained previous to the B/Buy (which is threaded to the full length)
Of course you can modify it to work with thicker washers but there is a limit as to how far the actuator pin will screw down to open the gas valve
Also how many threads do you need to hold 835psi safely?

Coalminer said:
but there is a limit as to how far the actuator pin will screw down to open the gas valve
Yep,

I overlooked this. Thicker washer is not the best.

I have sent 2 emails to Karol, we need to address this problem, will inform when he emails me back.

Coalminer said:
True, but it needs to screw in far enough to compress the washer which is not happening
The supplied washer is about 50% thicker than the washer in the adapter I had obtained previous to the B/Buy (which is threaded to the full length)
Of course you can modify it to work with thicker washers but there is a limit as to how far the actuator pin will screw down to open the gas valve
Also how many threads do you need to hold 835psi safely?
The way I read ziggys post was it was the one that didnt "bottom out" was the issue, being the other way around makes more sense.

ok there is a lot of info here and it seem ppl are a little confused with this adapter, the adapters that ppl have brought before this BB the thread inside the adapter was machined right to the bottom, the thread on new one stops about 5mm from the bottom.. so its doesn't allow the adapter to seal even with the seal provided.

And to your question Nev I brought a adapter from https://www.ikegger.com/collections/co2-systems-adaptors-and-gas/products/full-size-co2-bottle-adaptor-for-professional-mini-regulator

which was as a real bitch their adapter didn't screw on the SS adapter had a lot of stuffin around before it screwed down. but will screw onto the kegking one as its plain brass not chromed, chrome on chrome a it thicker.

Received mine today all three had the thread machined to the bottom.They came with 2 seals each and work perfectly with just the 1 seal, about 1/2-3/4 of a turn of the knob depresses the soda stream pin enough to release co2. Very happy with them thanks to those who organised it Cheers Ratchie.

Hi Guys

Well this is the reply and sent emails as of today..

Karol replied

Dec 20, 2:24pm​

Hello Chris,

May I know how many people is having this problem?

Also did you tried to add both included seals ? Will that help ?

Let me know as I'm trying to investigate what happen that some people received slightly different version of adapter.

Thank you.

Hi Karol

I don't know at this stage how many are like that, I have asked ppl when they get them to let me know, and yes it will work if you add another seal in there but thats not how it should of worked, and btw my mate Paul - Coalminer didn't get an extra seal with his delivery.

I will keep you posted with regards to adapters.

Thanks
Chris

Don't suppose he's indicated when the rest of the adaptors are coming? All I've had is an order confirmation on 2 Dec and spam since.

Latest posts

Back