Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First run on the Aldi gas smoker. Ive done ribs before on the Weber but it is a pita to get the snake burning. It was a breeze with the gas smoker. Ive just wrapped them in foil and should be ready in an hour or so.

The in-laws are over so i had to keep it simple. Next time ill spice it a bit more and make my own sauce i think. I need one of those silicone basting brushes too. Before and after pics.
20171029_103737.jpg
20171029_132651.jpg

I missed out on the Aldi smoker this weekend so I ordered a ProQ Frontier from BBQs Galore. I really wanted a charcoal smoker but I thought gas would be sensible, hence the Aldi one... but screw it! Now I can play with fire!!

Are you sure. I loaded it to the AHB gallery so should be fine.
that probably why. i can't see the gallery at all. can someone post the link to the gallery and ill look. theres so many things that got stuffed up for mods.

First run on the Aldi gas smoker. Ive done ribs before on the Weber but it is a pita to get the snake burning. It was a breeze with the gas smoker. Ive just wrapped them in foil and should be ready in an hour or so.

The in-laws are over so i had to keep it simple. Next time ill spice it a bit more and make my own sauce i think. I need one of those silicone basting brushes too. Before and after pics.View attachment 109314View attachment 109315
To clean off the racks, just put in laundry tub and cover with hot tap water and some cloudy ammonia then walk awaty, come back half an hour later and the grease and dirt will have just fallen off, use a dishwashing brush if necessary. Pure perc works well also, if you have access to it.

What temp did you have the ribs on and how long?

At a steady 100c for about 4.5 hours which was too long. I was thinking 3 with a long rest in foil as they are pretty small ribs and that would have been about right. 2 hours in the smoke. Baste with sauce and then leave for 15 to crust up. Then 1 hour at 100c in foil. Then leave it for a good 15 in the foil to rest. I had to wait for every one else to get there shit together before we ate so they stayed in too long. They were falling off the bone which was nice but I was hoping to get them to stay on the bone a bit. I followed this method.

Last edited:
i always did the 3-2-1 method with ribs
which is 3 hours smoking, 2 hours foiled and 1 hour resting.

that probably why. i can't see the gallery at all. can someone post the link to the gallery and ill look. theres so many things that got stuffed up for mods.
Barls at the top left, next to forums and recipes, there it 3 little horizontal lines. Click on that and you will get a dropdown and gallery should be an option. Or turn your phone on the side and the gallery tab will be there

Barls at the top left, next to forums and recipes, there it 3 little horizontal lines. Click on that and you will get a dropdown and gallery should be an option. Or turn your phone on the side and the gallery tab will be there
problem has since been fixed. i didn't have permissions for it strangely enough.
looks almost as tempting as my last one @earle

I missed out on the Aldi smoker this weekend so I ordered a ProQ Frontier from BBQs Galore. I really wanted a charcoal smoker but I thought gas would be sensible, hence the Aldi one... but screw it! Now I can play with fire!!

For those that missed the Aldi smokers have a look at the Jumbuck Gas Smokers/units at Bunnings for $198. They are a two door style very similar to the Aldi units

Cheers

Wobbly

Big W also had one for $249. A mate got one to replace an Aldi smoker and it seems a bit better quality than the Aldi job.

Big W also had one for $249. A mate got one to replace an Aldi smoker and it seems a bit better quality than the Aldi job.
Pretry sure the aldi ones are actually rebadged Harks. I wonder who makes the Big W ones.

Although I've used a Weber before to cook meat, today was the first time I used a smoker (from the Aldi sale).

It was only a 1.2kg brisket but was in for 6hours at about 110c. Wrapped it in foil when internal temp was about 70c. Took it out at 90c and rested for about 45 mins.

I used some mesquite wood for the smoke.

Thoughts: I think it could have been on for longer as it wasn't quiet as tender as I thought it should be (the brisket I did on the Weber was a lot more tender). I think I need to check the calibration of my meat thermometer as it may be reading a bit over.

Whats the secret to a good smoked brisket?

Although I've used a Weber before to cook meat, today was the first time I used a smoker (from the Aldi sale).

It was only a 1.2kg brisket but was in for 6hours at about 110c. Wrapped it in foil when internal temp was about 70c. Took it out at 90c and rested for about 45 mins.

I used some mesquite wood for the smoke.

Thoughts: I think it could have been on for longer as it wasn't quiet as tender as I thought it should be (the brisket I did on the Weber was a lot more tender). I think I need to check the calibration of my meat thermometer as it may be reading a bit over.

Whats the secret to a good smoked brisket?
time my last brisket was nearly 10 hours and about the 1.5kg mark.
i take it to 195-200 F you can check with the probe, if it pulls easily to either side its great,

Latest posts

Back