Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Aldi at Lismore today and they have a stack of Coolabah 2 door smokers (rebadged HARK) for $175

May be available around the stores - I didn't notice them coming up again this time around but then I haven't been looking.

I'm still in love with my unit, went into Bunnings today for a swap n go and some smoke chips.

Also Aldi currently have a big range of Sweet Baby Ray's sauces in the centre aisle at the front of the store, you know the area where the Stollen and xmas cakes and Easter Eggs take turns.

Yeah they are a great smoker.
I drilled a hole in the side at the bottom for my smokai so I can cold smoke in it too.
******* great cheap shit piece of work.

**** my mates massive stainless whole carcass smoker.

micbrew said:
howdy all

wondering if you could school me on smokers
certainly like the idea of this !

currently have a small webber ,not sure this will suffice
or do I need a stand alone smoker

next question gas , electric or fire any suggestions welcomed

thanks Micbrew
the weber is a great place to start ive got an offset smoker but still regularly smoke on the weber for smaller bits of meat rather than spend all day tending to the fire.. you can run a snake with heat beads that with only minor adjustments to the air vents at the bottom will hold 250f all day long. one tip though is to use chunks of wood for the smoke flavour chips really dont work the same.

Didn't know we had fellow smokers in here. I do comp bbq and its a hell of a lot of fun.

Hit me up with any questions you have around smoking, different meat cuts, wood, rubs or sauces...

Happy to help after you all help with my beer quest...

First go at smoked ribs today.... **** yeah!

bYvCp2o.jpg

RSHQIOo.jpg

Get a cheapo 3 part barrel smoker for Xmas, gonna give it its maiden run tomorrow.
I've got a chunk of pork belly and might throw the Saturday BBQ snags in there as well.
Will be making my own sausage and the like shortly with a grinder and sausage stuffer also for XMAS.
Gammy leg is keeping me a little less mobile and upright than I would like, but nearly back to normal.

I smoked some salmon on the weekend.
Usual sugar salt dry brine and smoked with leftover oak from that other thing we can't speak about here.
It was awesome, I convinced the wife to allow me to buy an offset Texas style smoker. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485148887.219726.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485148918.103645.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485148938.734002.jpg

Oh yeah! Salmon or ocean trout with brown sugar, salt, dill and thyme rub is awesome. The kids can't get enough of it and if I'm lucky and there are leftovers they are great mixed with a bit of lemon juice and mayo and turned into a spread that goes on some nice dark rye sourdough.

Now I'm hungry...

Did a couple of rainbow trout in the smoker over the weekend. With a home made chili aioli. Vanished too fast for photos.

Nice, I'll have to get me some fish and give that a go.

Smoked a ham this morning. **** knows why anyone would buy that crap from the shop.
So glad I started doing this.

Here is biab salmon.
Brine in a bag.
I'm building the fire now.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485402963.601797.jpg

got 2 butterflied lamb legs in the smoker with a piece of pork scotch for pulling later.

just put the pork in a tray with a little of the wife english brown to help it become more moist.

Just picked up 2.5kg of beef ribs to throw in the smoker on saturday morning.
Also dropped over to Tilse's Cidery in my lunch break and asked about some apple wood, they had half a pallet that's been sitting around for a bit and offered it to me for $20
Winning!
For anyone in the Hunter region wanting some apple wood, they'll have plenty more soon, they're next to the Bowling Club in Scone

So Tilses Apples are still going :D

I remeber going up to their orchard way up behind Moonan Flat

Yep, their Apple Truck Cider is starting to get pretty popular
Might ask about some fresh squeezed juice when I head in today, wouldn't mind trying some funky cider with a bit of the cake from my brett saison

This is a pork shoulder I had in cure for a week, then cold smoked for 6 hours, then thrown in a banquet bag and cured in the fridge for 6 weeks.

Tastes so ******* good.

P4080028 (1).jpg

Looks unhealthy...might even make you sick

If you need to dispose of it than I can help. You will need to send it to me for proper disposal

Latest posts

Back