Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I bought it today, Sp0rk put me onto it. Looks fearsome, apparently made with Scotch Bonnet chillies.

Use sparingly - I tried it the other day and blew the roof of my mouth off,

I'm going to make a nice over the top Mexican beef with sweet potato wedges

No idea how well it will turn out,

Picked up a kettle BBQ at Rays closing down sale for $20. Not a weber but for $20 you can't complain. Put it to good use today to reverse sear some steaks and smoke a chook. Already have an Aldi gas smoker but the more the merrier when it comes to BBQs and smokers.

med_gallery_7015_1311_84114.jpg

Smoking buddy has just made this ******* amazing reverse offset for himself.....

7aZggoU.jpg
Sux8vEa.jpg

That's some serious hardware. Needs bigger wheels, brake lights, towbar and a number plate. :D

I really need to learn to weld...

Looking at possibly buying Vogelzang barrel oven kit and the kit for adding a second barrel on top
Would convert the top barrel into a smoker, that way it's indirectly fired.
Just need to pass it by the minister for finance...

Aldi have wireless digital meat thermometers coming up Saturday 1 October.
They look to have a nice long metallised lead coming from the probe to a base station, and a mobile phone sized unit to carry around as you busy yourself with the salads etc.

$20

howdy all

wondering if you could school me on smokers
certainly like the idea of this !

currently have a small webber ,not sure this will suffice
or do I need a stand alone smoker

next question gas , electric or fire any suggestions welcomed

thanks Micbrew

You can start with a Weber charcoal kettle and take it from there. It's not the best tool for the job, but it is possible to get some pretty darn good results.

If you are talking about generic BBQ cooking, including low and slow and smoking, then an insulated and air-tight charcoal BBQ is probably the most versatile tool. If all you want to do is smoke small-goods then you really need to do a bit of homework and decide whether a dedicated electric smoker may be a better option.

In general, gas BBQs and smokers are the least favoured option by those who are serious about BBQ, but they do have their place.

At the end of the day, just about anything can be used to get good results, including a hole in the ground, covered by a piece of old corrugated metal roof.

You'll find plenty of good info on the Aussie BBQ forums.

As a newb myself, I'd suggest using what you have to learn. That way you can have a chance of working out where you want to go.

micbrew,

i just use my standard 5 burner bbq. I use an "amaze smoke generator' http://www.mistygully.com.au/amazen-cold-smoke-generator/

Strip out everything in the bbq except for one gas burner (on the far left) and the grill racks. Light the gas burner at one end, meat at the other with a tray of water under it, amaze in the middle. BBQ will hold 110oC for a long as i have gas, pellets will burn for hours.

I have done ribs, ham, brisket.... i normally give them 2-3 hours of smoke and then wrap and go low and slow...

I would love to have the room and extra dosh to buy an offset smoker like this
http://www.bbqsplus.com.au/product/469/1201/50236/texas-pro-pit-offset-smoker

but i will continue to use my standard bbq and dream.....
but did see this recently..... maybe a good compromise..
http://www.mydeal.com.au/heavy-duty-charcoal-bbq-offset-smoker-w-thermometer?gclid=CID05pDVws8CFVCVvQodBLUC7A

cus
micbrew said:
howdy all

wondering if you could school me on smokers
certainly like the idea of this !

currently have a small webber ,not sure this will suffice
or do I need a stand alone smoker

next question gas , electric or fire any suggestions welcomed

thanks Micbrew

The kids were fighting over these lamb ribs

Smoked with Apple wood over Mallee charcoal for 8 hours

Damn they were tasty.

1475647356778.jpg

1475647408313.jpg

There's a mob of them on the way into town.

Looking for my Aldi knife sharpener.

Home cured Chacuterie plate for dinner with beers last night.

Ham, pastrami and salami. All I need now is some cured whole muscles...

Yum.

Latest posts

Back