Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been game enough to try cheese, for fear of having the temperature run away on me and ending up with a bucket of fondue.

The general advice on BBQ forums has been to put a lit heat bead in a milo can full of wood chips, then pop the lid on loosely. You can adjust combustion by moving the lid. To keep temperature down, the advice has been to fill up the water pan with ice cubes.

I've also heard of people running an external smoke generator, such as a smokai and pumping the smoke into the smoker.

Either way, you would not be using the gas burner for cold smoking cheese. There's no way that the temperature would stay low enough.

external generator aka smokai. water tray full of ice in the top.
wait till i can have a nice and cold day to boot.

barls said:
While not meat. I had some fun cold smoking today over 7 hours.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Setting up and starting
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
And after 7 hours
You really, really like a bit of cheese don't you...

i get one chance a year generally to do it and i make sure i have enough for the year.

I've done it with my smokai and Weber Q. No ice.
Only went for 2 hours and it was well smokey.

What wood did you use?

Nice. Just out of interest, how many kilos is a years supply?

And how do you store it?

about 3kg is what i do for myself personally. and generally int he bottom of the beer fridge which is at 1 degree.

For long term storage of hard cheese, I always put it in a vacuum sealer bag, pump out all the air, then put the resulting brick in the freezer. When it's time for it to come out, I put the whole block in the fridge for a few days to come up to temp, then open the bag. Works really well for things like Jarlsberg when it's on less than 1/2 price special.

Made some lamb jerky today. Yum. Smoked with Marri pellets and a touch of Black Wattle shavings.

For a guy who is into photography, they are some ordinary photos, but you get the drift

It's pretty much the only way for any steak that is thicker than about 1cm. Warm it through with smoke, get it off the BBQ, ramp up the heat, then caramelise the surface.

The missus hates bloody meat and the reverse sear method works very well.

I smoke (or low temp) to just under desired doneness, then I cover and rest for 10-15 while the grill gets red hot, then finish off and get those tasty char marks happening.

This way I can cook a medium steak for her that's tender and not bloody.

Made some more bacon yesterday and some skippy jerky today.
Yum all round.

Ive been reading this thread over the past few weeks on and off now and and im very tempted to give it a go. I cant believe Aldi dont have them now for Fathers day. Great read, recipes and photos.
Cheers
Steve

Just a little blue smoke with Banksia pods for about 8 hours with Mallee Charcoal.

I'm addicted to these short ribs.

14163688_1337416109620157_1101730336_o.jpg

Back