Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give them a cold smoke then, I can see that working, the other way would be to use liquid smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxJtjg6PvSw

Bribie G said:
Crossover thread post here:

I'm getting a Sous Vide cooker on Wednesday - I'll be an Aldi tragic hanging out at the door for them to open - I'm getting the vac sealer anyway so might as well go the whole hog.

Now I really want to do smoked chicken breasts but don't want to toughen them by putting them into a hot Hark smoker after x hours in the sous vide.

I was thinking of doing the sous vide thing, then slide them out of the bags and put them in the oven at the initial smoke burst, remove as soon as possible then sear off in hot skillet.

How long does it actually take to coat meat with a reasonable smoke?
I think a few drops of liquid smoke into the sous vide bag would be a more successful route to go if you want smoked sous vide chicken breast

Ducatiboy stu said:
Give them a cold smoke then, I can see that working, the other way would be to use liquid smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxJtjg6PvSw
and where do you get one of those BBQ's? I want one.

I have seen another way of collecting liquid smoke that involved lots of tube, an old cupboard, an old window rattler aircon unit

Basically the tube from the smoker exhaust was fed into the cupboard that had the aircon unit mounted in it and as the smoke cooled and condensed it dripped into a container

Very simple when you think about it

Fair bit of ******* about and did need a fair bit of space

I doubt that any SWMBO would never ever approve building one within 2km of the house :)

Sounds like a plan, any drying would be counteracted by long slow cooking.

Actually you just need a chimney out the top of your BBQ/smoker. Then engineer something like that video to save a remnant of whatever you are smoking.
That sounds good to me. Techni Ice packs I have. A good lot of stuffing around maybe but I'd be keen on that than the bought stuff I've got.
Now I have to install a chimney on the BBQ/smoker.

Anyone have a good place to buy pellets that doesn't overcharge on freight?

My plan for Saturday is to buy a slab of beef, rub it with cinnamon, crushed cloves, pinch of mace and some paprika. Maybe use some fresh garlic and a bit of olive oil to turn it into a paste so it sticks better. Whack it in the smoker on Saturday afternoon and set to about 90C. Check it on Sunday morning and if required bring the temperature up, perhaps even foil it. It should be ready for Sunday lunch, with some fresh bread rolls. If I have time, I'll whip up some fresh mayo.

just got a nice hunk of pork and beef so ill be smoking soon. in to brine tomorrow

20160701_162258.jpg

20160701_193201.jpg

wag beef in a brine made with pils malt and d2 candy sugar.
IMG_2383.JPG
patted dry ready for the rub
IMG_2384.JPG
with the rub on it. it goes in to the fridge over night to for the crust
IMG_2385.JPG
out of the smoker after 5 hours on red gum and iron box.
IMG_2410.JPG

I've put on 3kilo since I got my smoker, yer just makin me hungry!

Heh I'll just blame old age.

While not meat. I had some fun cold smoking today over 7 hours.
image.jpeg
Setting up and starting
image.jpeg
And after 7 hours

Hi barls. Looks sweet. Is that cold smoking in a Hark/Coolabah? I have only hot smoked in mine but keen to cold smoke some cheese and bacon. What's your method?

Back