Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonesbrew said:
id probably be doing a lot of fish/seafood so how do-able is cold smoking with something like this?
It has to be hot enough to create smoke and thus cold smoking is not what they are good at. For proper cold smoking you might need a smoke generator (which you could feed in through the side chip loader). Apparently these A-MAZE-N-Pellet-smokers are supposed to be a plug and play cold smoke addition. http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
Another option might be to add a smoke daddy cold smoke generator (not exactly cold smoke but near enough I'd say). http://smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm

I might just try to make a smoke daddy type device myself and feed it in through the side chip loading port but we'll see (my Masterbuilt electric smoker hasn't even turned up yet!).

Cocko said:
Also done Jerky - was good but cut it to thick [Malted will know this].
*Joke written and then deleted* the jerky had great flavour mate! :super:
Trial and error, it will be better next time.

Benn said:
Dad built a smoker out in the shed a couple of years ago, all he smoked in it was eels & mullet that he caught from the creek next to the house. He thought it tasted "shit hot" I thought I tasted like shit but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so it was easier just to not go & visit for a while. He pulled it to bits after a couple of weeks... Happy days.
I moved from NSW to WA, promptly built a smoker due to my proximity to a river. I spent a good few days there fishing for eels, until the locals laughed at me like a moron because there are none here.

I have an 'all fridge' unit I use for fermenting which is on it's last legs, it would make a great large smoker if someone had the effort to invest in converting it.

ED: I also used to love catching mullet at my mum's place on the Colo river. I think your dad sounds like a good bloke :)

Malted said:
It has to be hot enough to create smoke and thus cold smoking is not what they are good at. For proper cold smoking you might need a smoke generator (which you could feed in through the side chip loader). Apparently these A-MAZE-N-Pellet-smokers are supposed to be a plug and play cold smoke addition. http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
Another option might be to add a smoke daddy cold smoke generator (not exactly cold smoke but near enough I'd say). http://smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm

I might just try to make a smoke daddy type device myself and feed it in through the side chip loading port but we'll see (my Masterbuilt electric smoker hasn't even turned up yet!).
interesting, i guess im reasonably happy with the fish ive done in one of those tiny box smokers so it wouldnt have to be a true cold smoke but being able to keep the temps down enough to do something like a whole snapper would be nice
i might have to catch a few fish and bring some chips over to check yours out ;)
cant beat smoked tommies/snook and a few beers

tonesbrew said:
interesting, i guess im reasonably happy with the fish ive done in one of those tiny box smokers so it wouldnt have to be a true cold smoke but being able to keep the temps down enough to do something like a whole snapper would be nice
i might have to catch a few fish and bring some chips over to check yours out ;)
cant beat smoked tommies/snook and a few beers
Yeah some years ago I used to butterfly garfish, do them in brine and then hot smoke them in a 'nipper kipper' (small steel box with a metho burner under it), seemed good at the time. The time it would take to do a whole large snapper - I'd expect it to be smoked enough during a 'hot' smoke.
For sure, come over and play at smoking some fish, maybe we'll put a double brew through the BM too (batch each sound ok?). :super: I am eyeing off the neighbours nectarine tree that has some standing deadwood on it. Our apricot tree looks like it could do with a trim too. :D
BTW, my man cave has nothing on yours...

I cheated tonight, I used some hickory liquid smoke concentrate on a rib fillet on the bone, caramelised in the pan and then put into the oven. Dammed tasty but the flavour is still lingering in the mouth.

Bizier said:
ED: I also used to love catching mullet at my mum's place on the Colo river.
Smoked and dried mullet roe is meant to be awsome, held in the same esteem as using truffles in cooking, IIRC.Just like truffles, a little grating or shaving of it through a dish is meant to impart a real zing to the dish. Who woulda thought mullet eh? Maybe it is just dried mullet roe, but if that is good, smoked and then dried would have to be better yeah? :D

sounds like a plan..
ill have to get out and get some fish first, i should bring some crabs to throw in your fancy pot ;)
ive got 250g of galaxy here that needs something done with it too :)

tonesbrew said:
sounds like a plan..
ill have to get out and get some fish first, i should bring some crabs to throw in your fancy pot ;)
ive got 250g of galaxy here that needs something done with it too :)
I would readily demolish some fresh crab with a few beers but surely you jest about sullying the BM with crabs? :huh: Tsk tsk, shame on you. :angry:
BBQ wok burner and Big W pot for crabs. :super:
Indeed you are a fisherman as I just took the bait. :lol:

Sounds like some real courting going on here....

got from aussie bbq forum

AustralianNativeTimberMatrixforSmokingR19.jpg

Malted said:
:wub: We still wuvs you Punkin...

Hey I am thinking, hot smoked prawns taste awsome, so hot smoked crabs would have to be good too huh? Worth a try I reckon.

Please forgive me posting too much in this thread, I am a bit excited about getting my smoker. :icon_cheers: Gotta sort out a cold smoking device too, the allure of smoked cheeses is too much to withstand.
So to make ammends, here attached is a bit of a summary of some research I have been doing on which woods to use for smoking.

Two caveats: (1) you can use what ever you want, stronger woods can be used for less time, lighter woods can be used for a longer smoking time. (2) The table is based on opinions I collected on the web, as always opinions and taste perception varies, they are not my opinions presented.

attachicon.gif
Smoking Wood Selection.jpg

noticed Aldi Carindale in BNE had theres marked down to $149

they had about 5 of them

smoker_smokin.jpg

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Would like to also smoke meat and have looked at a couple of DIY smoker posts. Anyone done the terra cotta pot smoker with electric element?
That seems like the cheapest way to start out and then maybe convert and old fridge later on.

I have a gas hooded BBQ and someone said you can get a smoker box for these but I have no idea how to use them or if they are any good. Appreciate some feedback on what you guys use other than the brought smokers. Prefer to go the DIY option for now.

Truman, it sounds like you are in the market for a UDS or ugly drum smoker, they make them out of 44G drums and they work a treat. There was a build up posted here, but if you can't find it you can google "ugly drum smoker" and will get a heap of info. Personnaly, I own a masterbuilt electric smoker I bought from Misty Gully in Victoria, expensive, but nice.

Truman said:
I've been reading this thread with great interest. Would like to also smoke meat and have looked at a couple of DIY smoker posts. Anyone done the terra cotta pot smoker with electric element? That seems like the cheapest way to start out and then maybe convert and old fridge later on. I have a gas hooded BBQ and someone said you can get a smoker box for these but I have no idea how to use them or if they are any good. Appreciate some feedback on what you guys use other than the brought smokers. Prefer to go the DIY option for now.
I've got one of these stainless smoker boxes for the hooded BBQ, actually that one I liked to is pretty cheap. For a test just grab a aluminum foil tray and drop it on the open part of your hot plate and throw some soaked chips in it. You could probably even drop that terra cotta pot in the bbq with some chips in it. It works better than you think, and will give you a chance to play before buying too much. Smoking in the bbq isn't the best if you like to keep it spotless on the inside of the lids, but I let it be. I even use my table webber and add extra wood chips for a flavor boost.

I take it the external terra cotta pot setup is a cold smoker? Do you have any links?

QldKev

@qldkev. Here is a link to the terra cotta pot smoker.

http://m.instructables.com/id/DIY-Smoker/step8/Reflections/

(Sorry still away in Ballarat and on IPhone so easier just to paste the link)

I will check out your smoker box link sounds like the go. Thanks

@Brownfig. Just searched UDS. Lots of good ideas there and I have access to everything I need.
I might make a 60 litre drum smoker as 200 might be too big for my needs.

Cheers gents.

Edit: it linked properly anyway.

@kev so you just sit the smoker or foil tray on the grill part that has the slots or do you remove the plate and sit it direct on the burners?
Then put your meat on the middle plate??

Truman said:
@Kev so you just sit the smoker or foil tray on the grill part that has the slots or do you remove the plate and sit it direct on the burners? Then put your meat on the middle plate??

On the burners

also search on youtube for "smoker box", check out the "tuna can"

and depending on what you are smoking, soaking the chips in wine is great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back