Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd hand webber acquired, Charcoal and hickory purchased. I'm bloody excited!

did 5kg of beef and pork for chrissy. heres the final pics
pork
DA57AFC4.jpg

beef
697BE823.jpg

that looks so good :icon_cheers: i have just put a boneless pork shoulder and lamb shoulder in to my new offset to cook low and slow overnight for dinner tomorrow night.

yeah really looking forward to it for tomorrow. low and slow is the way to go. both lots took me roughly 12 hours in total.

sweet, slow smoked meats and homebrew is better than sex.

I guess it take all types

Wobbly

sweet, slow smoked meats and homebrew is better than sex.

I guess it take all types

Wobbly
dont guess until you try a roast or a low and slow from a webber or smoker, the moistness and flavor are beyond words.

Fired up the smoker for Xmas... A whole turkey.

Brined overnight (food grade bucket from Bunnings for $10)
IMAG0154.jpg
Rubbed with sage and onion
IMAG0155.jpg
On the smoker
IMAG0156.jpg
6 hours later
IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0172.jpg

While the smoker was firerd up I decided to cook a rack of lamb on it for dinner that night. Smoked it for 2 hours then finished in on the BBQ. Served with BBQ corn and a potato salad...

IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0166_1.jpg

Fired up the smoker for Xmas... A whole turkey.

Brined overnight (food grade bucket from Bunnings for $10)

I've found breast side down gets the best brining action. :)

Rubbed with sage and onion

On the smoker

If you put it on the top grill, then place a foil dish beneath, you can collect the juicy runnings. Makes great gravy.

6 hours later

While the smoker was firerd up I decided to cook a rack of lamb on it for dinner that night. Smoked it for 2 hours then finished in on the BBQ. Served with BBQ corn and a potato salad...

Lovely.

I've found breast side down gets the best brining action. :)

If you put it on the top grill, then place a foil dish beneath, you can collect the juicy runnings. Makes great gravy.

Lovely.

I actually turned it over part way through the brining. It started breast down. Mind you, it was fully submerged the whole time so it shouldn't matter much.,

I did think about putting it on top but I had to leave room for that rack.... The photos don't show it but for about 1 1/2 hours they were both on there. But yes, thay would have mate a great gravy. The bird was for a cold xmas lunch at my sisters though so gravy not required anyway.

Cheers
Dave

I actually turned it over part way through the brining. It started breast down. Mind you, it was fully submerged the whole time so it shouldn't matter much.,

I did think about putting it on top but I had to leave room for that rack.... The photos don't show it but for about 1 1/2 hours they were both on there. But yes, thay would have mate a great gravy. The bird was for a cold xmas lunch at my sisters though so gravy not required anyway.

Cheers
Dave

Heres my turkey that I'd smoke on Christmas morning to have cold in the afternoon.
turkey.JPG

and heres some ribs just before I put them on. Sorry, no after shots as I couldnt wait to eat them! :)

Attachments

• ribs.JPG
    ribs.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 130
Can I ask what the rack is that the ribs a in? Do you cook them in it?

It appears to be a rib rack. No shit. There's a few available on eBay and other places. Yes you cook them in the rack to save space for smaller smokers. Not so much a problem with yours. I have finally decided, I'm getting a 30" Masterbuilt.

For the record smoke makes cheap snags about 1,000,000 times better, but if you smoke really good meaty pork snags it is life changing. Man I wish I had regular hours and time to do stuff like make proper sausages and smoke them. I have a sausage stuffing attachment on our Kenwood Chef that I have never used.

Cocko's enthusiasm is contagious; probably other things about him also. Ooooh!

We used our Christmas present to do an Octoberfest NYE party :)

Main course was Beer Sausage... a form of Chilli wurst (with real chilli), cured, smoked, then later poached in beer

Was delicious...

We ended up making 15KG of wurst for Octoberfest, and I had 10 kegs on hand... I now have a number of triple batches planned to replace losses!

Reber 5KG geared sausage stuffer (its lovely to use, not even enough wastage to make a rissole!)

reber_5kg2.jpg

I didn't have a proper smoke house... so I pulled out the tin foil and modified the BBQ with some re-bar

bbq_bierwurst2.jpg

First of three batches of sausages... smoked at 74C until they reached 67C internal temp.

(those sausages are made out of ox bungs, and are about 5cm thick, that's 5KG of wurst)

That was a major major major PITA to accomplish on a gas bbq... which is why I now have an Aldi smoker!

aldi_smoker_smoking2.jpg

sealing kit on its way to stop the smoke leaking out the door ;)

And this was the first lamb roast that I chucked in the smoker instead of the oven... just because I can :)

lamb2.jpg

Planning a Texas BBQ in a few weeks for about 30-50 people... so will be doing 24hr pulled-pork, briskets, ribs, chicken wings, corn, potatoes, etc...

And have to brew some more beer!

Of coarse cocko had to start a thread on smoking meat :lol: Man all these look great wish I had a smoker

Just doing a trial run of ribs and wings on the smoker :)

Using Last Meal Ribs from AmazingRibs

After over-night dry marinading in memphis dust, loaded and ready to go, just waiting for the first chunk of hickory wood to start smoking (BBQs Galore is carrying it now!)

rib1a.jpg

Half way into the cook, decided to put some wings on too...

rib3a.jpg

judging by the taste of the bonus bits that are already ready... they're gonna be awesome :)

PS: yes, my oven thermometer died. and my ET732 hasn't arrived yet... flying blind :eek:

Stux said:
That was a major major major PITA to accomplish on a gas bbq... which is why I now have an Aldi smoker!

sealing kit on its way to stop the smoke leaking out the door ;)
I've been looking for a sealing kit for mine as well, where did you find yours?

Latest posts

Back