Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey TC,

I am sure you will love smoking meat! ;)

I went Hark electric for a few reasons but I have a mate with the Hark Gas and he cant speak highly enough of it... good choice.

Keep us posted of your progress!

Cheers
Did you get thermometer with it just looking through the options with wireless probes etc

Did you get thermometer with it just looking through the options with wireless probes etc

Mine has a built in temp sensor and PID temp controller, you program temp and time. Also got a bonus wireless thermometer for probing bigger cuts of meats. $400 delivered from eBay, best I could do instore was $475....

Reason for me to go electric:

-Better temp control - as in set and forget.
-Be able to get down to extremely low temps for slow roasting, making jerky etc.
-I am running it on a wooden deck, I just feel safer with an element in a box out there, rather than coals/beads or a burner.

I guess all I miss out on is the natural smoke from beads/coals and to be able to do a quick roast in it but I have a Weber for that.

I have used it four times and it is performing beyond my expectations so far, so am very happy with it... But, different strokes for different face drops etc.

Cheers

Not sure what cut it is, its like a rack of lamb but its pork... Weather was so good we wanted sit on the balcony and cook and drink simcoe smash ales... I just went with my gut.

I threw an hour of smoke at it and then another hour of low heat - all at 110c

was farkin awesome.

IMG_0784.JPG

Not sure what cut it is, its like a rack of lamb but its pork... Weather was so good we wanted sit on the balcony and cook and drink simcoe smash ales... I just went with my gut.

I threw an hour of smoke at it and then another hour of low heat - all at 110c

was farkin awesome.
I have had a couple of goes in my smoker now.
Temp control with the gas style will take some getting used to. I find it slowly creeps up and down over time.
The lowest consistent temp I can get is about 100C just using the controls on the unit, I haven't tried playing with the gas bottle controls yet.

I have bought a cheap colander and will experiment with heat beads to see how many beads I need to get a certain temp and how long this temp can be maintained.

I smoked and cooked a whole chicken which had been brined for 24 hrs. It was the best chicken I have ever had. very tender and very moist.

It a whole new world to play with.

Cheers
Chris

It a whole new world to play with.

Cheers
Chris

Been hitting the smoker myself (Webber smoky mountain.. nothing fancy).

A nice rabbit, brined for 24 hours in cider (homebrew of course) then rubbed with pepper and sage.

IMAG0119.jpg

After 5 hours smoking over apple wood (around 90 degrees)

IMAG0123.jpg

And some mackerel fillets brined for 12 hours (the large one is a piece of Spanish mackerel the rest are your basic slimy mackerel) then coated in black pepper (note the 2 layers of them in the smoker).

IMAG0145.jpg

And after 4 hours over peach wood (took my eye off the temp for a while so they got a bit too hot to start... first half hour was at 150, the rest was around 100)

IMAG0146.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Been hitting the smoker myself (Webber smoky mountain.. nothing fancy).

A nice rabbit, brined for 24 hours in cider (homebrew of course) then rubbed with pepper and sage.

After 5 hours smoking over apple wood (around 90 degrees)

And some mackerel fillets brined for 12 hours (the large one is a piece of Spanish mackerel the rest are your basic slimy mackerel) then coated in black pepper (note the 2 layers of them in the smoker).

And after 4 hours over peach wood (took my eye off the temp for a while so they got a bit too hot to start... first half hour was at 150, the rest was around 100)

Cheers
Dave
They look amazing.
I am getting some Atlantic Salmon, escapees from the fish farms at Strahan to have a go at smoking them.
Not sure whether to do them whole or as fillets but I guess it depends on fillet size

Cheers
Chris

They look amazing.
I am getting some Atlantic Salmon, escapees from the fish farms at Strahan to have a go at smoking them.
Not sure whether to do them whole or as fillets but I guess it depends on fillet size

Cheers
Chris

My missus gets the 1/2 steaks from woolies or aldi, I sprinkle them with taragon and a little salt and put them in the electric smoker while it is still cold, set the temp to 100C and come back in 30 mins and they are perfectly cooked and smoked to perfection.

cheers

Browndog

I'd guess that technically they are Southern Ocean salmon? :lol: Or perhaps Macquarie Harbour Salmon? :lol:

Do you also suggest that someone's ethnicity changes depending on the local geography when they are born?

Do you also suggest that someone's ethnicity changes depending on the local geography when they are born?

Do you suggest that a person born and raised in Australia, with an Australian passport may not call themselves an Australian because their parents might have been born in another country?

I never specified whether I meant ethnicity or citizenship of the Salmon. You forgot to use the laughing emoticons that I used to indicate it was a joke of sorts. :lol: However, I suspect that you neither found it amusing nor made a joke retort.

Back on topic, I'd be all over it if Aldi had the rebadged Hark electric smoker on special rather than just the gas fired one (like they did some time ago).

gas ones are back tomorrow.
got some chicken thighs for tomorrow at the isb catch up. ill try to get a pic might be hard as they disappear so quickly normally

Winner winner.... as the saying goes:

IMG_0787.JPG

It was so juicy it squirted on my shirt when I went to carve it.... :icon_drool2:

Winner winner.... as the saying goes:

It was so juicy it squirted on my shirt when I went to carve it.... :icon_drool2:
I have never seen a squirting chicken..
What was your recipe?

Cheers
Chris

I have never seen a squirting chicken..
What was your recipe?

Cheers
Chris

Hey Mate,

I brined for 12 hours, just a drunken mix up of water, a heap of salt, pepper corns, brown sugar, garlic powder and cumin powder... maybe some other stuff, I was a little past the post... I think I dumped a nub of ginger in there too... maybe.

Took out and patted dry, then back in the fridge uncovered for another 4 hours to try and dry out.

Then went a rub, for about an hour, that I got from the supermarket, it is says its:

Salt, Garlic, Brown sugar, Onion, black pepper, Oregano, Mustard seeds, rosemary, sage, turmeric and ginger.

Ran the smoker at 120 for an hour and a bit throwing smoke at it and then another hour or so with out...

Meat probe thingy said it was done and it was.

I assume the 'juice' was lack of drying out the brine but whatever, it was ******* tender and tasted incredible.

I love my smoker and you a little bit, not in a gay way.

Cheers!

not really proper smoking but just cooked some steak on a kettle bbq, threw a handfull of dry hickory chip on for good measure

steak.JPG

makes $8/kg steak taste awsome :)

cheers steve

they tasted good too mate :)

I have been using a kettle BBQ that I got for $50 as a smoker for a while now, it's OK but I have plans to mod it and turn it into a Smokey Mountain Cooker. I have been playing around with just adding a little bit of wood to direct fired cooking and its amazing how much smoke flavour you get from a handfull of chips.

Also if anyone is looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe, I have tried THIS and its awesome, tangy and spicey, really worth the effort.

cheers steve

Back