Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finishing the ribs off on the grill... just a couple of minutes on each side on high heat.

finishing2.jpg

and then... a simple bbq meal :)

plated2.jpg

(pint of DSGA not shown ;))

have you guys tried using a handful of spent grain in your smokers ? any good ?

Malted said:
It appears to be a rib rack. No shit. There's a few available on eBay and other places. Yes you cook them in the rack to save space for smaller smokers. Not so much a problem with yours. I have finally decided, I'm getting a 30" Masterbuilt.

Thats right, its a rib rack. On my Smokey Mountain, I can get two Mephis-style racks of pork ribs side-by-side. These are big racks. The rib rack allows you to get 4 racks on either grill. Plus, you dont have to turn them over. Worked a treat.

I tried some bacon rashers in the smoker the other day. I was surprised how nice they turned out.

donburke said:
have you guys tried using a handful of spent grain in your smokers ? any good ?
Interesting... Next brew day, I will bang some in the chip try and see what is smells like. Will report back.

browndog said:
I tried some bacon rashers in the smoker the other day. I was surprised how nice they turned out.
So you just put already made bacon in the smoker? explain?

i used those pellets but didnt get much from them.
if your going to use spent grain make sure its dry.

Cocko,

I have recently purchased a Hark electric like you, heres a couple of things I learnt.

- Always soak you chips, the manual says to, but the instructions say not to??? Makes no sense. When you soak you dont get flare ups and a massive temperature spike.
- Buy a mop!!!! My basting brush just wasn't cutting it, when I bought the mop, the meat wasn't dry as before and SOOOOO tasty
- Pellets are good and don't need soaking, urbnan griller in WA does really cheap prices on all the above mentioned gear
- Its all about rubs, brines, marinades and glazes, there are numerous books on Amazon that have fantastic recipes
- the internal temp is a little wonky I think, use the remote themometer provided and make sure its just the tip that is in the meat you want measured (like ribs and thin meats)
- you will need to set it higher than specified in recipes due to above point

Good luck, I would love to hear any feedback about any little quirks you may find with yours.

Yeah Cocko, I was watching the BBQ Pit Boys (get to that site ASAP if you have not been there yet) and they were making Smokey Bacon Cheese Burgers and they smoked rashers of bacon. I gave the rack a spray with some oil and laid the ready made rashers out, turned the smoker on and set the temp to 100C. it takes mine about 15 mins to get to 100C and I removed them after 1/2 hr so they had 15min at 100C. They were cooked perfectly and had an awesome smokey flavour, they went really well on our burgers. I am going to do this one day http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/bacon-cheeseburger-deluxe#.UPZ8hGcR98E

browndog said:
Yeah Cocko, I was watching the BBQ Pit Boys (get to that site ASAP if you have not been there yet) and they were making Smokey Bacon Cheese Burgers and they smoked rashers of bacon. I gave the rack a spray with some oil and laid the ready made rashers out, turned the smoker on and set the temp to 100C. it takes mine about 15 mins to get to 100C and I removed them after 1/2 hr so they had 15min at 100C. They were cooked perfectly and had an awesome smokey flavour, they went really well on our burgers. I am going to do this one day http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/bacon-cheeseburger-deluxe#.UPZ8hGcR98E
Awesome Link
:beer:

King Brown Brewing said:
- Buy a mop!!!! My basting brush just wasn't cutting it, when I bought the mop, the meat wasn't dry as before and SOOOOO tasty

Good luck, I would love to hear any feedback about any little quirks you may find with yours.
All the same points learnt here so far also, well said.

Only thing I haven't done is move to a mop, cheers heaps for the tip! - Will buy one ASAP! Never heard of them before now.

I have done ribs about 7-9 times now and am nailing them with the 3,2,1 method. Over xmas we had people through for dinner most nights and the main request was - "Will you have your Pale Ale and can we have your ribs?" Who am I to deny... ;)

Also done Jerky - was good but cut it to thick [Malted will know this]. Cherry tomatoes - awesome. Lamb shanks - not smoked just low for 14 hours. Beef ribs - seem to be a different beast than pork. Sausages - fark yes!

But yeah main tip for people following this and new to smoking would be - soak those chips!

browndog said:
Sounds amazing mate, so smoke at it for whole time?

And yeah, BBQ Pit boys = awesome. Great recipes for sauces and rubs etc, also pretty funny commentary on the vids... I look forward to smoking some rashes for a saturday morning heart attack brekkie this weekend! Cheers Mate!

@ Barls - Surely wet grain will smoke/smolder better than dry? Whats your reasoning to that thought?

you want to smoke rather than steam, was my thoughts. give it a go both ways and let us know.
personally ive just scored a pile of cherry wood and will be trimming back my peach and plum again shortly so im good.

Cocko said:
All the same points learnt here so far also, well said.

Only thing I haven't done is move to a mop, cheers heaps for the tip! - Will buy one ASAP! Never heard of them before now.

I have done ribs about 7-9 times now and am nailing them with the 3,2,1 method. Over xmas we had people through for dinner most nights and the main request was - "Will you have your Pale Ale and can we have your ribs?" Who am I to deny... ;)

Also done Jerky - was good but cut it to thick [Malted will know this]. Cherry tomatoes - awesome. Lamb shanks - not smoked just low for 14 hours. Beef ribs - seem to be a different beast than pork. Sausages - fark yes!

But yeah main tip for people following this and new to smoking would be - soak those chips!

Sounds amazing mate, so smoke at it for whole time?

And yeah, BBQ Pit boys = awesome. Great recipes for sauces and rubs etc, also pretty funny commentary on the vids... I look forward to smoking some rashes for a saturday morning heart attack brekkie this weekend! Cheers Mate!

@ Barls - Surely wet grain will smoke/smolder better than dry? Whats your reasoning to that thought?
They would have ended up with about 15 mins of smoke mate.

barls said:
personally ive just scored a pile of cherry wood and will be trimming back my peach and plum again shortly so im good.
You are so out of the gang! you c... ha :p Send me some plum!

I will let the grain dry a for a day and 2 and see how it goes..... will report back.

Cocko said:
You are so out of the gang! you c... ha :p Send me some plum!

I will let the grain dry a for a day and 2 and see how it goes..... will report back.
maybe i will. or should i just put up a pic of the huge bag of shavings and sawdust i have off the wood lathe i have,
ill see how much i get off the plum this year.

Dad built a smoker out in the shed a couple of years ago, all he smoked in it was eels & mullet that he caught from the creek next to the house. He thought it tasted "shit hot" I thought I tasted like shit but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so it was easier just to not go & visit for a while.
He pulled it to bits after a couple of weeks... Happy days.

Benn said:
Dad built a smoker out in the shed a couple of years ago, all he smoked in it was eels & mullet that he caught from the creek next to the house. He thought it tasted "shit hot" I thought I tasted like shit but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so it was easier just to not go & visit for a while. He pulled it to bits after a couple of weeks... Happy days.

Are you serious? That is incredible.

So what is he going to do now? Please answer ASAP!

looking at getting the hark electric, whats the go with chips/chunks/shavings.. what can you jam in there and how long will the smoke last?
id probably be doing a lot of fish/seafood so how do-able is cold smoking with something like this?

Yep, I think he converted an old wardrobe if I remember correctly, I don't know how the whole thing didn't go up in flames.
He's always experimenting with food, last thing he tried was pickling salmon fillets (fresh caught)
Now that was crook! Cold,chewy, still with the skin on but at least he scaled them. Once again a winner according to him & once again I'm standing there just trying to smile & nod.

Back