smallest fridge that takes a corny keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperplace

Reaction score
I'm looking for a small fridge, maybe a bar fridge or a fridge-only, that will take a corny. I found a bar fridge this morning at target, $141, that would have except for the compressor area at the bottom which made the floor only 220mm deep.

I want small because the smaller it is, the less electricity it'll use.

cooperplace said:
I want small because the smaller it is, the less electricity it'll use.
Not always. Electricity usage isn't directly related to the size of the fridge. The efficiency of the fridge in terms of insulation etc will play a big part in how much the motor has to kick on and off to maintain a constant temperature.

I have a chest freezer that fits 6 corny kegs in it, set to 1.5c with an STC 1000. It sits in a dark corner of my garage that never gets any direct sunlight and I reckon I'd be lucky to have it kick on and off maybe 6 times a day, in the summer. It's stainless steel on the inside, and has 2inch thick insulated walls. It uses less electricity than my inside food fridge, but it's 3 times the size in terms of storage capacity.

yeah, some chest freezers are great that way, but they take up more floor space.

I have a westinghouse 130 litre all fridge (well 2 actually, one for fermenting, one for dispensing). Fits 2 cornys, plus 1 (2 at a squeeze) 9 litre keg king keg.

Rambo said:
I have a westinghouse 130 litre all fridge (well 2 actually, one for fermenting, one for dispensing). Fits 2 cornys, plus 1 (2 at a squeeze) 9 litre keg king keg.
Yeah, I have two of these also. Good for dispensing. Haven't used them for lagering yet though.

slcmorro said:
Not always. Electricity usage isn't directly related to the size of the fridge. The efficiency of the fridge in terms of insulation etc will play a big part in how much the motor has to kick on and off to maintain a constant temperature.

I have a chest freezer that fits 6 corny kegs in it, set to 1.5c with an STC 1000. It sits in a dark corner of my garage that never gets any direct sunlight and I reckon I'd be lucky to have it kick on and off maybe 6 times a day, in the summer. It's stainless steel on the inside, and has 2inch thick insulated walls. It uses less electricity than my inside food fridge, but it's 3 times the size in terms of storage capacity.
the more I think about your suggestion, the better it seems. A small chest freezer will be ideal. Thanks everyone!

Generally speaking. Freezers have better insulation. If you replace the thermostat, you can use them for a more efficient fridge. Chest types are good because you don't loose all the cold air when you open the door. Keeping an upright fridge or freezer as full as possible also improves the efficiency. A little tucker box freezer with new temp control would be more efficient than a cheap bar fridge.

slcmorro said:

so how did you install the STC 1000? I'm thinking maybe down low on one side, and have the probe going in thru the floor? I'm thinking about how to install the probe so that I don't drill thru any coolant lines!
Thanks

I picked up a small chesty from Aldi for food and hops storage not serving - you don't have Aldi in SA as yet but soon, and boy will you save money on your shopping :p

However on topic, I paid around $230 and I'm sure you could get something similar shopping around the various franchises - for serving you can build a timber "collar" round the edge to take the taps, plenty of threads about modding freezers on the forum.

aldi freezer.jpg

edit: it doesn't do any harm just to neatly slit the rubber / silicone sealing strip (not all the way through of course) and run the probe wire through that, it's just a wire after all.

Not sure if there is a masters down your way, but they have a 200l chest freezer on special at the moment for about $280. I think I remember another member on here fit 6 cornys in it with a collar. I'm considering getting one so I have enough room for lagering.

Edit: they also have a 150 litre one that's pretty cheap, not sure on the exact price though.

Fisher Paykel P120 bar fridge will fit 1-2 kegs. Building one myself. Few good threads on here with pics

Latest posts

Back