Small Swap - 6 X Longnecks In Syd - Anyone Keen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Father & Son & Son, Royal Oak Amber Ale.

Noice. Strong taste of FKW. Good. I've been on the scotch and coopers all night and this thing punches a hole in the space taste vortex. Morrison just sang out "we are stoned, immaculate", well no, 'we' are not, but this beer makes itself noted.

Clear beer, carbonated well - not fizzy, not flat. Brunette. Bitter without screwing my face up, or wanting to put the the thing down - I know where you live, more? This Farker is bitter, but not offensively so. Maybe a rare beer drinker wouldn't like it but I do. Just as well you don't give it to non-beer drinkers.

Is it dark blonde or light brown, or even dark brown?. It makes me burp.

Your label says "Malt, grain, hops and yeast"

Yes, der, is this a secret recipe?.

After drinking this one Coopers Sparkling and Pale just seem watery. Scotch is flat.

Your garage much have the temp secret.

Make more...

All of the beers I have recieved from the swap are really bloody good. the only one that sucked to date was the one that got away... (I'm sure there must have been a very good reason)

DSC00313.JPG

It looks much darker in person (Must be some fiddling of light+ Phone camera, its a Brun!)

theres more boozy but stocks are running low in bottle form but when they run out theres 3/4 a keg of it in the big red fridge...
no secret recipe just a partial mini mash concoction is all, glad ya liked it ...
will try and dig out the particulars on it and let ya know ...

Ho in the gaarden

I dont know how to describe the taste of this one, it tastes sweet briefly then it doesn't. I thought honey then I didn't. Then it tastes hoppy, then its gone.

Nice beer, deep gold colour, tease of hop aroma. Reckon I could drink a few of these. :beer:

Its a real tease, maybe you could call it 'The teasing Ho in the gaarden'

View attachment 9604

Lovely pic there, Boozy!
I'll be printing this one out.

Yeah, I agree with you, sweet and honey, but still bitter. I'll be doing this brew again for sure. Very nice for summer, and it's going too quickly.

Knocked back Barra's Oak Amber Ale the other night.
This was a great one to savour. Really, I'm no good at describing what I can taste in beer (let alone what I tasted last saturday night), but it was nice and bitter, woody like, and had a great colour.
Went very nicely matched with a burger with the lot.

Down to Boozey's and Andrew's now. Beer glorious beer.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Nice photos boozy.

Ive polished off the rest of the swap beers (Drew, Phrak and Petes). Agree with the comments here. Excellent beers all in all. I cant wait until next winter to experiment with some more dark beers. I am really enjoying these. I will probably put down a wheat beer as my last beer for the season (before it gets too hot). Ive never done one of these and I really enjoyed both of these.

Im begining to think that I should have left Barras till last based on everyone elses comments. Its possible that mine was underconditioned with the bitterness covered by a bit of sweetness. You should probably send me another bottle, just to be sure. :) Or maybe I just like em bitter.

Looking forward for the next swap.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Damn shame that I used that Porter as the swap beer as did the same recipe with a whitelabs WLP005 rather then a US56 and it really brings out the malts in it, my latest one(despite being a gusher lol) is easily the most tasty dark I've ever done.

it is possible that it was underdone gulpa , i had a lot on prior to the swap and didnt get it brewed as soon as i would have liked to, would offer you another bottle but im not sure there is another one left , theres a bit in keg form thats about all... will brew it again sometime thats for sure ....

Had Boozy's wheat the other night. Had nice carbonation, and a huge head but that was probably my bad pouring skills. Still I managed to make this last 3 schooners. Nice and refreshing, slight bitter hops taste, and looked fantastic!

Also had Andrews Ginger Beer last night. Very dangerous - it was too good. Had it with Thai takeaway, but would've been perfect right after mowing the lawn! I've only had 3 ginger beers so far, and this has been the best.

Oh, I got my NSW Championship tasting notes for that Nelson Sauvin-hopped APA I brought to the swap. 3 Scores ranged from 24/50 to 28/50. Not to style, they said. Oh well, the Participation certificate I received will be framed and mounted in the garage/brauhaus!!! :D

Pete, congrats on your placing! :beerbang: Apart from the "out of style" comments, how well did it do otherwise??

Pete, congrats on your placing! :beerbang: Apart from the "out of style" comments, how well did it do otherwise??

I'll bring the notes in the car tomorrow for the Paddy's function, but the 3 judges all gave it 3/3 for appearance. Mainly said it tasted good.

Thanks Pete... Don't know if it deserves that much of a wrap (it's only the first one I've done!) And personally I believe it's a BIT too "gingery".

Finished off the last of the beers now, what can I say? They were all great beers! Pete, I want that recipe for "Ho in the Garden". It'd be a great summer beer.

Tims' Dutch Knight: Beautiful mate... Definately tasted some sorted of "smoky" flavour in there... Perfect carbonation as well... Loved every drop!

Barras' Royal Oak Amber Ale: Once again another good beer! Personally I tasted some kind of "tinny" flavour... Correct me if I'm wrong. But it also didn't last too long either.

DC82s' Choc Porter: Definately chocolate! Good carbonation, colour and flavour! Can't really critcise this one either.

Sorry about such poor feedback guys but they were all too good! Can't wait for the next one (if there is one) and I most likely will be able to turn up on time instead of stuffing you blokes around <_<

Cheers,
Andrew

Yo andrewl, do you know where that bottle of yours is that was destined for me? Cant write it up if I haven't tried it :blink:

Boozy, I dropped around to Tims a while ago and dropped off mine. It was a ginger beer.

boozy i was planning to pick up the 3 bottles that tim has been holding for myself , you and drew carey sometime soon , perhaps on the weekend sometime to get it over with does that suit you or would you rather go pick yours up from tims at baulkham hills ???

Yep, I have Andrew's Ginger Beer here for anyone who wants to pick it up. Call me anytime :) My number was in the PM I sent with my address. Let me know if anyone needs it again.

Tim.

Thanks Pete... Don't know if it deserves that much of a wrap (it's only the first one I've done!) And personally I believe it's a BIT too "gingery".

Finished off the last of the beers now, what can I say? They were all great beers! Pete, I want that recipe for "Ho in the Garden". It'd be a great summer beer.

Tims' Dutch Knight: Beautiful mate... Definately tasted some sorted of "smoky" flavour in there... Perfect carbonation as well... Loved every drop!

Barras' Royal Oak Amber Ale: Once again another good beer! Personally I tasted some kind of "tinny" flavour... Correct me if I'm wrong. But it also didn't last too long either.

DC82s' Choc Porter: Definately chocolate! Good carbonation, colour and flavour! Can't really critcise this one either.

Sorry about such poor feedback guys but they were all too good! Can't wait for the next one (if there is one) and I most likely will be able to turn up on time instead of stuffing you blokes around <_<

Cheers,
Andrew

Hey Andrew,
The Ho was just the Country Brewer's Summer Wheat Wetpak. It's definitely one I'll be doing again, as well as their other wetpacks. Nice and easy, with everything supplied.

excuse my ignorance gents but what exactly is in one of these wetpacks ??

Barra, in the wetpacks you get the wort, grain, yeast, hops and any other additives i.e. the summer wheat one comes with orange peel coriander. Comes with everything to do a batch... Not too bad either considering its still under $30

Barra, in the wetpacks you get the wort, grain, yeast, hops and any other additives i.e. the summer wheat one comes with orange peel coriander. Comes with everything to do a batch... Not too bad either considering its still under $30

Yeah the coriander was mixed in with the wort. I rang up the shop after getting home thinking I was missing a coriander bag.

All beers gone, (except for a bonus bottle from Phrak) and now looking forward to the next swap!
I've got a Lager on the brew, a smoked belgian ale, and that overhopped NS Pale Ale ready if anyone's keen for a 6 or 12 Christmas Swap.

Back