Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

I spotted this one at the duty free @ lax, you reckon it's any good? My plane leaves in a few hours and I need to know. ;)

image1.JPG

Cheers

Phoney said:
Yeah! Afraid I didnt sell a kidney in time to buy the the fucker :)
No-one's kidneys on this forum would be worth anywhere near that price tag. They're nearly as well-used as our livers.

Phoney said:
Hey guys,

I spotted this one at the duty free @ lax, you reckon it's any good? My plane leaves in a few hours and I need to know. ;)

attachicon.gif
image1.JPG

Cheers

Are they cheaper by the case?

Anyway, after visiting the Glenfiddich distillery in Scotland, I think this aged for millennia spirit thing is anaperitif dinner party wank that sounds impressive in mixed company. Much preferred the plain old 18 year old stuff to the 30 year old they bought out on the tasting platter.

Then again, I'm not much of a spirit drinker.

Plus I was with a Contiki group at the time, so the tasters may have well been procured from a mop bucket..

Phoney said:
Yeah! Afraid I didnt sell a kidney in time to buy the the fucker :)
Viewed it on my phone so I missed the lack of decimal points and number of zeros initially.

I'm no expert but I was told that a batch of whisky in the barrel evaporates about 2% per year making anything over 50yrs old non existent. Anyone know a bit more on this matter?

I was told (IIRC at Glenkinchie) that's it more like 8% in year one and then 2% to 3% per annum thereafter

But it's on the diminishing liquid in the barrel at the start of each year so for a 100L barrel there's about 92L left after year 1, about 90L (92 x 97.5%) after year 2 etc. assuming its steady at 2.5% of volume at the start if each year then after 50 years you'll have about 27L left (92 x 0.975^49)

Camo6 said:
I'm no expert but I was told that a batch of whisky in the barrel evaporates about 2% per year making anything over 50yrs old non existent. Anyone know a bit more on this matter?
It's known as the angel's share. 2% is an average as various factors will influence the rate.
I think the error that no whisky could be 50yo comes from applying that 2% to the whole volume (2 x 50 = 100) but it's 2 % of what's still in the barrel. While that adds up, it's like calculating a half life.
You lose 2 litres out of 100 in year 1 but only 1.75 the next year and only 1 after that. Eventually you might be losing 30 mL or less in a given year.*

*(actual amount calculations completely arbitary to illustrate point).

Cheers y'all, that clarifies things a bit. Completely justifies the $46000 price tag...I think.

manticle said:
You can buy it from dan's for 45k so lax duty free is taking the piss.
Dans might have bought it when the AUD was worth US1.10

I wouldn't imagine they would move many bottles per year, if any.

manticle said:
It's known as the angel's share. 2% is an average as various factors will influence the rate.
I think the error that no whisky could be 50yo comes from applying that 2% to the whole volume (2 x 50 = 100) but it's 2 % of what's still in the barrel. While that adds up, it's like calculating a half life.
You lose 2 litres out of 100 in year 1 but only 1.75 the next year and only 1 after that. Eventually you might be losing 30 mL or less in a given year.*

*(actual amount calculations completely arbitary to illustrate point).
What is it that's actually evaporating? water? alcohol? or both?

Presumably both. Ethanol is quite volatile, water and ethanol are totally miscible, casks are permeable.

That's what I assumed - so would the concentration of the %alcohol through the angels share be real or is the % staying somewhat constant as both are evaporating?

Just a thought - or have I got it wrong? Angels share is just evaporation and not concentration of alc%?

Kev

kevo said:
What is it that's actually evaporating? water? alcohol? or both?
There was a layer of spotty mold on the ceiling of the aging houses Glenfiddic said, by the tour guide, to be the result of evaporation (alc and water) from the kegs. But then again, everything else was so lush, green and damp and Scottish, who knows?
Its basically an investment. The only people drinking this stuff are coke dealers or powerball winning chumps.

20150328_192900 (720x1280).jpg

This is going down a treat. I doubt it'll survive this long weekend.

Latest posts

Back