Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's more American and not Scottish but I like a double 'on the rocks' instead of water or neat.
Spent a couple weeks in Scotland and started and got a taste years ago.
The Irish, Japanese and Tasmanians all make a good whiskey and there is some good blended whisky out there too.
I'm no collector but always have a few bottles on the shelf.

I had a scotch tasting night with a mate not long ago. I had some 18yr old Macallum ( a gift, I couldn't warrant spending that much on one bottle) which went down well but the stand out for me that night was a 10yr old Bruichladdich OB. Made everything after taste pretty ordinary.
Glen Livet's my go to drink when mates offer to repay a love job, in fact I'm having one now! ( a scotch that is, not a love job, by which I mean work done for free, which is the only kind of job I do with mates, well most of them, not that there's anything wrong with that.)
I try to avoid buying Scotch as it tends to evaporate very quickly in my house. I tend to drink it neat or with a little water. I don't mind it with an icecube or two as I enjoy noticing the changes as it warms ( or like to pretend I do.)

Just got some good news.. finished paying of my HECS. So to celebrate i'm going to get a bottle of Single Malt for the occasion.

Still early days into the Single Malt thing, but really enjoying sampling the couple of bottles I have at hand. Dalwhinnie 15 and a Glenlivet 12. Nothing too special. So thinking of something like a Laphroaig Quarter Cask or 18 for a sample of the Islay. Something around the $100 dollar mark would be good.

laphroaig-18yo.jpg

Looking through this thread has made it hard to decide.

Damn. You just reminded me a mate is holding onto some Glenlivet for me courtesy of another mate. I pray I get to it before a bottle of Coke does.

argon said:
Still early days into the Single Malt thing, but really enjoying sampling the couple of bottles I have at hand. Dalwhinnie 15 and a Glenlivet 12. Nothing too special. So thinking of something like a Laphroaig Quarter Cask or 18 for a sample of the Islay. Something around the $100 dollar mark would be good.
With all due respect, if you're just getting into Dalwhinnie and Glenlivet, jumping straight to Laphroaig might make you think you've bought a $100 bottle of dirty smoke water...

Highly recommend Balvennie (Doublewood) or Talisker for delving into the less mellow side of single malts, without the full on punch in the face. I also rate Singleton, which I bought on a whim, as I already had everything else on the duty free shelf.

Good advice, been reading up a bit. I've enjoyed the softer malts, but now trying to extend the palette. Maybe a mid step is in order before going too far.

Have also been considering Highland Park 12 or even Lagavulin 12 (but maybe too big at this stage)

What about the Aussie Scotch's? I have been reading up on some of the tassie ones and they get good reviews.

argon said:
Just got some good news.. finished paying of my HECS. So to celebrate i'm going to get a bottle of Single Malt for the occasion.

laphroaig-18yo.jpg

Looking through this thread has made it hard to decide.
This is a scotch that'll kick you in the nuts...in a good way. I hope you like peat (as I do!).

Sullivans cove just won the world whiskies in fact...

AJ80 said:
This is a scotch that'll kick you in the nuts...in a good way. I hope you like peat (as I do!).
I agree, that is one very special peated single malt, truly awesome.

SmallFry said:
With all due respect, if you're just getting into Dalwhinnie and Glenlivet, jumping straight to Laphroaig might make you think you've bought a $100 bottle of dirty smoke water...

Highly recommend Balvennie (Doublewood) or Talisker for delving into the less mellow side of single malts, without the full on punch in the face
Completely agree. I love Laphroaig but I'd be trying it before you spend the money on a bottle. Balvennie double wood is my favorite whisky.

I'll give a thumbs up on the Tailisker as an intro to island malts.

Laphrroaig, as much as I love it is very much an acquired taste.

Ardberg is my current dram. Just the right amount of peat for my tastes ..., mmmm

Oh yeah. Ardbeg is a good one too. I love the big peaty ones but they aren't exactly an everyday whisky. You need something a little more sociable for everyday drinking.

Bruichladdich has a good amount of complexity and is lighter peated than many Islays. Only tried the 10.

I find laphroaig to be a one trick pony - Lagavulin has a similar amount of smoke but so much else supporting it. Not tried laphroaig 18 though - might be a different story.

Yeah. I'm drinking a Lagavulin at the moment. Very nice drop.

The missus (who knows SFA about whisky) once bought me a Smokehead which is pretty much a novelty thing focused on peat and peat alone. Its like an ashtray.

Too many bloody choices.

You guys are no help.

;)

Bowmore - great Islay SM to introduce the peaty flavours. I think it might be the lightest of the commonly available ones. Similar to a highland scotch with a little peatiness through it. Quite cheap too ~$60(?). So maybe you can get 2! I'd suggest something like that before you get the heavier ones like laphroaig, if you've not tried Islay scotches previously - Heavy peat is not to everyone's tastes, though most seem quite fond of a little.
2c

Back