Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a bottle of Aberlour speyside 10yr old sinlge malt

$52 at Dan's

Nice and smooth, easy drinking :)

drank a bottle of hart brothers single malt that a mate gave me. didnt rate it. no real body and actually tasted slightly like it had a beer infection! and consider i thinik its about $90 i recon it was a rip off actually. probably personal taste preferance.

the higland park 12yr old on the otherhand i found very enjoyable as a quaffer. $55 from nic's cellar, happy with that

drank a bottle of hart brothers single malt that a mate gave me. didnt rate it. no real body and actually tasted slightly like it had a beer infection! and consider i thinik its about $90 i recon it was a rip off actually. probably personal taste preferance.

the higland park 12yr old on the otherhand i found very enjoyable as a quaffer. $55 from nic's cellar, happy with that

What distillery bottling was it?

Just read this thread for the first time.

I haven't had any for a while, but my last bottle was a hart brothers bottle from Caol Ila at around $90. Was very nice.

Still can't beat $66 for a bottle of Glen Morangie, one of my favourites.

My mate from Scotland told me to try one from Glen Ord distillery, which I managed to find just after he left to go home last time for $105 by the old malt series (something similar to hart brothers). One of the best single malt whiskeys I've had to this day.

My father's day prezzie from the kids -

IMG_1860.jpg

From the isle of Jura but doesn't taste like an island malt. Sweet, not much peat. More a highland style. Nice but I think the Ardbeg is my favorite so far.

Cheers
Dave

I recently finished off a large bottleof Scapa 15, which has taken me 4 years to get through, I bought it ona whim, as I have some Orkney heritage, found it tough to drink when opened, but the last 250ml seemed to be so much smoother adn sweeter.

Only other malt I ahve tasted and loved, was a cask stregth Isle or Arran, which I have never seen here in Oz, but would love to try again.

I think I might buy a Higland park 12 next.

04012011_002_.jpg
Wow, tastes just like a 120baht whiskey should taste like. Good for a souvineer bottle, that's all.
Even the waterford glass (from a set my awesome wife bought me) isn't helping it along

View attachment 43091
Wow, tastes just like a 120baht whiskey should taste like. Good for a souvineer bottle, that's all.
Even the waterford glass (from a set my awesome wife bought me) isn't helping it along

Eehhhw Mekong and coke is the only way to go with rice whiskey. Funny how it tastes O.K. on holiday in Thailand but bring a bottle home and it is terrible. :icon_drunk:

Eehhhw Mekong and coke is the only way to go with rice whiskey. Funny how it tastes O.K. on holiday in Thailand but bring a bottle home and it is terrible. :icon_drunk:
There's a rum distillery somewhere on Ko Samui... next time we're there I'll try to incorporate it into a daytrip.

OK!

Back on topic.

Hers is my latest purchase.

Its a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

Initially aged in Bourbon casks an then transfered to Port casks from Portugal to give it a deep Ruby colour and a deep rich leathery chocolate finnish.

Oh its nice!

cheers

PS..... these are the glasses i drink from. I love them!

QuintaRuban832x1248.jpg

GlenmorangieRuban832x1248.jpg

I recently got a 1L bottle of this and I am seriously in love :wub:

Resurrection of an old thread.

Slightly off topic but found The Dubliner Irish Whiskey Liqueur in the whisky section at Dans as advertised in the The World of Whisky Promotion on the website.

Not as sweet as usual liqueurs are but man it is so smooth and tasty can't see the bottle lasting too long.

Seen some Solid steel "ice cubes" released in the us, wondered about thoughts on dropping temp withiut diluting. Any thoughts?

Coming from a bartenders curiosity.

Personal preference is to neat, but i.do see the value in a touch of water, or a couple of cubes of ice. Not sure about bulk ice, which drops temp but melts slower.

Ice is a big no no for single malt Scotch Whisky although a dash of water releases the aroma. Drink it as you prefer it is a special occasion enjoy however you like.

Someone bought me some stone whisky cubes a while back. Tried them once. Been sitting in the back of a cupboard ever since. They do indeed chill down the whiskey without diluting. Which of course kills the flavour.

Might pull them out summertime to use in the cocktails I make for the missus....

Certainly won't sully my whiskey with them.

Cheers
Dave

Just found this thread.

I am a very recent convert to whisky after buying a bottle as a souvenir in Japan "The Hakushu 12yr single malt". Is pretty tasty.
A friend suggested I try Talisker, bought a bottle and love it :)

Then, stupidly, I was at a nice bar and decided to try some of the Islay's. Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin. Lagavulin is stunning. Need a better paying job.

I like ice in my whisky 2-3 cubes dependant on size in a 'big' double then wait 15 minutes or so before drinking. If I'm really keen I'll put something atop the glass to keep the aromas in. I can easy spend 40minutes drinking a glass of scotch and enjoying it. If I want to get toasted then scotch isn't my go to drink.
I get that ice 'dulls' the flavour but that's how I like it and IMO when I'm paying for my drink I'll drink it how I like it.

For me Laphroaig quarter cast is my go to. Parents just got me a bottle of PX Cask duty free so I'll give that a go soon.

Best whisky I've ever had was Arbeg Supa Nova 2010 at the Hilton Queenstown. :icon_drool2:
The rude things I would do to get my hands on a bottle...

Back