Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best readily available peated/islay. Smoke intense but complex whisky beneath.

In which case, and purely for scientific research purposes and to prove to SWMBO that I'm not always an obstinate old fart, I'll have to get me a bottle to compare with the Laphroaig select cask

Have just started to gain more interest in single malts and remembered this thread from a while back. I have small yet nice collection and am going to read/taste (research) al little before I buy anything else. Although you guys don't help haha

So far I have;
Glen Grant Major's Reserve
Balvenie Triple cask 16
Auchentoshan Silveroak
Glenfiddich 30

Really keen on getting a bottle of Glenlivet, after reading the rave reviews and the modest price tag.

Didn't see this topic until now. Whisky is my other alcohol. Have a small collection that grows and shrinks as the week goes on.

At the moment, my collection looks like:

Glenfiddich 15
Isle of Arran 1998 Sherry Cask (cask strength)
Ben Nevis 15yo Single Cask (cask strength)
Aberlour A'bunadh - my staple "daily" drink (cask strength). Love it
Jura Origin
Bunnahabhain 12 from the late 70s/early 80s. Unopened
A bunch of Glenlivet and Glenfiddich half bottle standard expressions as mates/family keep buying for me. Decent of them but they're piling up.

Recently finished off:

Glenmorangie Ealanta (which was amazing)
Linkwood 15 (also amazing)

Just grabbed a bottle of the 12yr old Glenlivet on my way home in preparation for a long winter weekend of surf fishing. Wanted to try the Tallisker or Glenmorangie either side of it but it was on special and the price difference plus the fond familiarity got the better of me.

Glen Moray Classic from Dan's only $42.90 for a Speyside malt. Mostly unremarkable but smooth and drinkable makes a change from the usual Glenfiddich.

Working through a sherry finished Glendronach. Wow, it's a beauty for a standard 12 year old expression! Very tasty.

I nearly got into a fight last week because I called a Scottish dude a "Porridge Wog". He was a mate of mine so it was quickly and amicably settled.

Been getting back into single malt since moving to TAS. A mate gave me a bottle of yakashu and ex-work gave a voucher to Lark distilleries. Got a bottle of their single malt and a glenmorangie quinta rubin. Also been enjoying glenkinchie and value for money glen moray and glen grant.

Bought a bottle of Glenlivet today, I only went to Aldi for some bloody cheese... Came with a couple of 50ml bottles though, 15yr and 20yr.

Interested in what you think of the Quinta Ruben mants? Sounds nice.

I've had it before - I think it is a delicious drop. I used to be a massive Islay fan but have more recently found some of them can be very phenolic in ways I don't enjoy. Had one recently at the winston in hobart that was like that - forgot the name.
Anyway moved more towards some of the richer speysides and highlands. Quinta rubin has lovely toffee/butterscotch nuttiness.

Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin is one of the few I don't really like but don't know why maybe it is the port barrel. I enjoyed the sherry barrel much better but you would think the two would be similar in character. I actually like straight Glenmorangie the plain and simple and it is cheaper than the others.

Was sorely tempted by a Jura Superstition in Dan's but was a bit light on funds.

I struggle with Laphroiag. I like a peaty whisky but the medicinal aspect of Laphroiag doesn't sit well with me.

Caol ila is my drop of choice as we head into the coldest part of the year.

welly2 said:
I struggle with Laphroiag. I like a peaty whisky but the medicinal aspect of Laphroiag doesn't sit well with me.

Mmmm Iodine flavor !

laphroaig.jpg Laphroaig 10 year Cask Strength now that is something different.

panzerd18 said:
Mmmm Iodine flavor !
See I absolutely love Ardbeg and it's my belief they can do no wrong! And Ardbeg isn't hugely removed from Laphroaig, but I just don't get on with it. Weird.

Oh well. More Laphroaig for the rest of you.

Tahoose said:
Bought a bottle of Glenlivet today, I only went to Aldi for some bloody cheese... Came with a couple of 50ml bottles though, 15yr and 20yr.
Interested in what you think of the Quinta Ruben mants? Sounds nice.
Plenty of these 12yr Glenlivets in Aldi Ringwood this morning, if anyone's interested. $50 sounds like a good deal.

Pity I hate whiskey.

Danwood said:
Pity I hate whiskey.
Whaaa?! I nearly choked on my strawberry and lime flavoured cider.

Back