Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are processes in place to get around that. The duty free arrange for it to be taken on board where you collect it - thus bypassing the potential security issues.

At least that's what happens between Australia and America on Qantas.

There are processes in place to get around that. The duty free arrange for it to be taken on board where you collect it - thus bypassing the potential security issues.

At least that's what happens between Australia and America on Qantas.
Yeah but in america they speak "english". Try organising that in Bangkok. Unless you're fully understood, who knows what could happen.

On the other hand, the 750ml bottle of Maekong Whisky I bought from the supermarket for 120 Baht ($4) survived the trip home in my suitcase.

At Singapore which does have a decent collection of malts you have to buy minimum of one hour before boarding and bottles are at the boarding gate retrieved by receipt and then hand carried onto the plane.

Apparently Emirates Airlines puts all purchased duty free into a special container and is available for collection in the Arrivals hall with the baggage.

At Singapore which does have a decent collection of malts you have to buy minimum of one hour before boarding and bottles are at the boarding gate retrieved by receipt and then hand carried onto the plane.

Apparently Emirates Airlines puts all purchased duty free into a special container and is available for collection in the Arrivals hall with the baggage.
Ah. It kind of looked like that was the go at the boarding gate, but by that stage it was too late to go back & buy some.
Not to worry.

I recently purchased a bottle of 25 year old Port Ellen. The Port Ellen distillery closed in 1983 so this is the youngest malt still available..... if you can find it. I got the bottle home, took one taste and got a 2nd bottle to put away to open for my kids weddings. It is the most supurb liquid you can imagine. At $200 a bottle it would want to be, but in 20 years when i dig out the un opened bottle that was distilled 45 years prior...... it will be worth in the thousands. And i wont sell it for anything.
In Dan's tonight, went to the locked cabinet, and the eye immediately spotted a bottle of this. I rang SWMBO.

"Hey, you know how I wanted X for Chrissy? Yeah, well, not any more!"

Budget approval was granted and I'm now the proud owner of a 25YO Port Ellen. To say I'm excited is an understatement. I'll let you know if it lives up to the hype :)

That correct emirates do that when coming back from Germany via dubai wives cousin bought back some cognac and i got over 100ml perfume for the missus and all was carried in the hold by Emirates and was picked up with my laugage

Glen Moray's not bad. 37 ish at DM's if you can find it. I agree on the Glenlivet 12 yr though - consistency and affordability are its winning features and it's hard to beat.

The 18 yr old is delicious.

Manticle. old boy, your post is the reason I have a part bottle of The Glenlivet 12 y.o. in my liqour cabinet. I never drank scotch until I started reading this thread a few weeks ago. I will now require you to keep me reliably informed as to how I can continue to refine my palate with this age old spirit!

Budget approval was granted and I'm now the proud owner of a 25YO Port Ellen.

I hope there's enough to share around ;-)

I got a nice Taskalier (10yo) from the missus this year. I've had a real thing for the Islay malts over the last year or so and have been sampling every Islay distillery I can get hold of. Taskalier is Isle of Skye rather than Islay but she figuired its an island so what the heck. Only had one small nip so far but first impressions are very nice.

Cheers
Dave

I was in Scotland last year (2008) and I visited a few distilleries. Glenlivet was interesting in that they do not use peated Malt. Still a great value good tasting single malt though.

I made an effort and went to Islay, however I only got to 3 distilleries there (only there for 24 hours). I went to Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin (all within 5 km from Port Ellen). Of the distilleries throughout Scotland I visited, Laphroaig and Lagavulin were the best. At Lagavulin they even drew a sample of the completed fermented wash to try (basically high alcohol beer without hops). At Laphroaig the opened a new barrel to try the fresh un-aged whisky straight up (i.e. stick your fingers in and have a taste).

All distilleries visited, except Laphroaig, you would only get one tasting. At Laphroaig they were especially generous, more so as I was already a "friend of Laphroaig". Thank goodness it was only few kms back to Port Ellen where I was staying.

Lagavulin was the best whisky of the 3 Islay distilleries I visited however Laphroaig is more readily available in the worlds duty free stores and locally. Laphroaig wins hands down for customer service and very clever marketing.

When I get back to Scotland I will endeavour to get to more distilleries. One regret is not visiting Highland Park when I was on the Orkneys, a good reason though to go back.

Slinte

Simon

I hope there's enough to share around ;-)
Well, technically the bottle was a shared present for me and my old man. We sampled, we enjoyed. He won't stop raving about it. Me, I'm a little more reserved - my first tastings of a bottle always seem to be not as good as subsequent tastings, so I'll hold off until I've tried it again before I state whether it's the best scotch ever or just very, very good :)

Beer66 - I'm sooooo jealous! I've been trying to get the wife into scotch for years now so that she will then be more open to a distillery tour. I keep trying, but it's an uphill battle. Mind you, she's starting to admit that there are a few nice beers out there, so there is hope for me yet.

I made an effort and went to Islay, however I only got to 3 distilleries there (only there for 24 hours). I went to Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin (all within 5 km from Port Ellen). Of the distilleries throughout Scotland I visited, Laphroaig and Lagavulin were the best. At Lagavulin they even drew a sample of the completed fermented wash to try (basically high alcohol beer without hops). At Laphroaig the opened a new barrel to try the fresh un-aged whisky straight up (i.e. stick your fingers in and have a taste).

I just finished off my bottle of Ardberg. Not a bad drop at all. Probably my favourite 'everyday' islay malt. The Laphroaig is nice but you need to be in the mood (and in my case the missus needs to be out of the house as she can't stand the smell). Lagavulin is nice too. I must get another bottle...

Cheers
Dave

How does Ardbeg stack up to Talisker? I'm running low on Talisker and it's my go-to scotch of choice. Question is, as I haven't tried Ardbeg, do I risk it, or go with ol'faithful?

(Wife won't let me buy two - she's been good on the purse strings of late, so I won't push it too hard)

Ardbeg 10 is probably peatier/smokier than talisker and has what I would describe as woody* notes. I think it's a bit more complex and I would prefer it over talisker.

*The woodiness is along the lines of barrels or oakiness and forests - not eating a twig or piece of 4x2. It's good.

Ardbeg 10 is probably peatier/smokier than talisker and has what I would describe as woody* notes. I think it's a bit more complex and I would prefer it over talisker.

*The woodiness is along the lines of barrels or oakiness and forests - not eating a twig or piece of 4x2. It's good.

Yep. Based on the one small drink I have had (so opinion subject to change) I would go the Ardbeg over the Talisker.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: one day I will learn to spell

belated photos.

whilst on leave ive been hitting my spitits collection. one nights line up (drunk from right to left).

IMG_0200.jpg
hmmm laphroaig

mmmmmmmmmmmm Macallan 12 (I prefer to the 18).

I had some French Oak chips soaking in Glen Moray (quite a light tasting SM) for around a week. Added the chips to a to be aged brew and decided to sample the whisky. It went from light yellow to a rich darker brown and the taste was reminiscent of Macallan.

had this show up in the mail today.

Oooooo very happy with it too.

Many thanks to a certain forum member in sourcing this rare and hard to find single malt in Australia....... you know who you are :)

CaolIlalabel.jpg

CaolIlaalc.jpg

"lighter bodied than many Islay malts"?? Bah! If it doesn't taste like swamp water, it's not a true Islay. Mmmmm... swamp water... :icon_drool2:

Gday all, newish to posting but have been lurking for a bit absorbing info ;)

Good to see that a fine appreciation for spirits is alive

Here is a small shot from Drisky Winkers (Scotch and fine Whisky appreciation group in Darwin) held 2 years ago. Some very fine examples of single malts there. Favourite would have to be the Ardbeg

driskywinkers2crop.JPG

Latest posts

Back