Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandy balloon ideal to capture the aromas.

A dash of spring water is usually the go with cask strength as at 57% the alcohol tends to numb the tastebuds and you will not get the full effect from the flavours available.

no hard and fast rules here Glenmorangie Astar

[quote name='O'Henry' post='531515' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:25 PM']When you say whisky glass, you mean a heavy based short glass, right? I have a brandy balloon, but no other european style glasses...[/quote]
yup heavy based short glass. i always get out my crystal ones that i got for my 21st. i always use brandy balloons for cognac. slightly warm the glass to release those aromatics. long sniffs. ahhhh so enjoyable.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='531515' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:25 PM']Thanks for a great reply. When you say whisky glass, you mean a heavy based short glass, right? I have a brandy balloon, but no other european style glasses...[/quote]

Brandy balloon will do it.

I was thinking along these lines
New%20Glencairn%20Glass.jpg

which is quite similar in shape to my delerium tremens glass and many other european beer glasses.

That said I mainly use the tumbler type recommended by CM2:

Lewis.jpg

this looks pretty much like my ballons except a bit smaller
either a tumbler or balloon are great.

Have decided to save it and share with my dad on Friday. Not sure what he will think of it. He is a big Talisker fan. Will talk with him about it when we try and add our attempt at tasting notes here. Thanks so much for all your advices on it.

The glass in Citimorgue2 post looks very much like the style of glass that malt is served in a good Scottish pub.

I am just having a snifter or two of Glenmorangie Lasanta ( sherry cask ).
not really hitting the mark today.

I really hate the way the Single Malt makers went all trendy with the fancy names and flash powered websites.

Isle of Jura Superstition for gods sake with the hippy style cross on the label do they really need that crap to sell it ? I like the whisky BTW.

I got so pissed or pissed off gone and bought a bloody huge 17" laptop from Catch of the Day :lol:

Going to regret that one tomorrow :eek: ( free upgrade to Virusdows 7 ) included.

OK!

Back on topic.

Hers is my latest purchase.

Its a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

Initially aged in Bourbon casks an then transfered to Port casks from Portugal to give it a deep Ruby colour and a deep rich leathery chocolate finnish.

Oh its nice!

cheers

PS..... these are the glasses i drink from. I love them!

QuintaRuban832x1248.jpg

GlenmorangieRuban832x1248.jpg

The glass in Citimorgue2 post looks very much like the style of glass that malt is served in a good Scottish pub.

I am just having a snifter or two of Glenmorangie Lasanta ( sherry cask ).
not really hitting the mark today.

You should try their quinta ruban, it's totally awesome.

OK!

Back on topic.

Hers is my latest purchase.

Its a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

Initially aged in Bourbon casks an then transfered to Port casks from Portugal to give it a deep Ruby colour and a deep rich leathery chocolate finnish.

Oh its nice!

cheers

PS..... these are the glasses i drink from. I love them!

QuintaRuban832x1248.jpg

GlenmorangieRuban832x1248.jpg

Touche, internet.

Seriously, I do love the Glenmorangie line of scotches, I keep meaning to get their wine cask scotch, finishing my collection of their scotches. I have their burgundy cask, it's all right but a little rough.

You should try their quinta ruban, it's totally awesome.

Touche, internet.

Seriously, I do love the Glenmorangie line of scotches, I keep meaning to get their wine cask scotch, finishing my collection of their scotches. I have their burgundy cask, it's all right but a little rough.

That was my favorite but alas the Burgundy and Madeira cask is no more :(
Burgundy Cask. Madeira Cask

Now that they have gone all trendy The Sauternes Cask is called Nectar D'or which is my current fav in the range.

The old Port Cask now in the fancy bottle Quinta Ruban is the one that was my least favorite followed by the Sherry Cask.

Got a small bottle of the unmodified anemic pale looking Original which is tasting good today.

Moet Hennessy bought out Glenmorangie in 2005 that explains why they went upmarket trendy to cater for the 'More Money than Sense and Sensibility' clientele.

polished off the last 100ml of Lagavulin 16yr last night. hmm smokeyness. ive only got 1 bottle of pre-fire Lagavulin left.

Quite an odd coincidence seeing this thread pop up.
I've just returned from a trip to Scotland (among various other nations in the area) and have aquired a taste for Scotch whisky...possibly spurred on by a tour of the Talisker distillery on the Isle of Skye and a visit to a nearby whisky bar.

Talisker.jpg
Scotch_Bar.jpg
Tried quite a few over there, but can't recall names all too well, let alone pronounce them.

Going through a spate of watching deadwood episodes at the moment which must always be accompanied by whisky. Everytime Calamity Jane or Al Swearengen utters a profanity, you need to have a shot.

Whisky of choice, availability and affordability was Arbelour 10.

Today while working off premises, I saw a bottle of Glenfarclas 30 and salivated.

Going through a spate of watching deadwood episodes at the moment which must always be accompanied by whisky. Everytime Calamity Jane or Al Swearengen utters a profanity, you need to have a shot.

Whisky of choice, availability and affordability was Arbelour 10.

Today while working off premises, I saw a bottle of Glenfarclas 30 and salivated.
geez you'd be pissed in 10min. been there done that with Jack Daniels. we limited it to when they said c*cksucker. you still end up boozed pretty quickly.

Hi Everyone, only just saw this thread! :)

Since my recent visit to Scotland I have really fallen for Single malts. When I was there I went into a Whisky shop which sold nothing but single malts and told them "I know nothing, educate me". Well, the next 2 hours were one of the highlights of my whole trip! The lovely (and knowledgeable) young lady preceded to give me tastes of many, many different whiskies. Starting with clean mellow highland malts, working through the lowlands and ending with the intense Islands, specifically the Islay varieties.

We stopped with the islays because thats where I fell in love. We tried the Ardbeg 10, 15 & 18. The 18 was amazing but apparently the Ardbeg Uigeadail was even better but they didn't have any for tastings. So I went next door to a whisky bar (over 150 malts) and ordered a dram of of the Uigeadail.

WOW! An amazing drink. Cask strength, a blend of vintages some older than 25 years, some young and different woods. It had more character and smoothness than the 18 despite more alc. So I went back and bought a bottle.

With this bottle I have started my collection. I'm just waiting for my second bottle for my collection which my sister is bringing back from Scotland; a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I'm yet to taste it and was glad to see some people here enjoy it.

How would you describe it Tony, Peas&Corn, anyone?

Anyways, I just thought I'd share the fun I had recently in Edinburgh, oh and ask one question... What do you guys think would be a good third edition to my collection. I'm looking perhaps for something a little cheaper that I can drink more often.

Cheers,

Dave.

I've made up many a deadwood related drinking game but never actually played one. In reality we usually just have one glass per episode.

Hi Everyone, only just saw this thread! :)

Anyways, I just thought I'd share the fun I had recently in Edinburgh, oh and ask one question... What do you guys think would be a good third edition to my collection. I'm looking perhaps for something a little cheaper that I can drink more often.

Cheers,

Dave.

Seeing as you quite like the Islays I would say Bowmore would be a good choice for a lower priced good example. Suitable for a regular tipple.

Only about $48.00 a litre duty free last time I looked. :icon_cheers:
BTW for travellers First Duty Free sometimes have a 2 bottles for $99 deal going on.
Got two bottles of Laphroig on this one time when one bottle was listed at $76.00

(Makes you wonder on the profit margins they must be working on with duty free sales to come up with that one ) :icon_offtopic:

Good priced, good drops (all between 40 and 65 depending on where you buy them)
include bowmore as mentioned above, bruichladdich 10 Glenmoray, Tamdhu, Arbelour 10 and glenfarclas 8. Only Bowmore and bruichladdich are islays.

On the weekend I had a few glasses of Laphroig ( Isle of Islay ) Quarter cask.....

Little bit of ice and , boy , was it peaty, ( compared to the Wild Turkeys I also hade on ice )very nice, but not something I could drink all day...Great night cap

Back