Single Hop Ipa Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what I was after guys!

So far on the list:
Simcoe
Nelson Sauvin
Stella
Topaz
Citra

That should keep me busy for a while

i do smash beers fairly regularly to work my way through the hop varieties and would have to say as much as i love simcoe on its own the cat piss thing tends to dominate, its really excellent mixed with cascade or centenial though. sorachi ace gave me lemon dishwashing liqued mixed with a light smatering of coconut, not nice. citra though can be real nice, quite a layered hop with tropical fruit flavours and a very smooth bitterness. galaxy was all passionfruit and resiny bitterness.summit for all the bad press is also a nice hop with citrusy tangerine/orange/marmalade flavours, just be carefull with this one though the bitterness is very assertive even in a late hop only beer.

Exactly what I was after guys!

So far on the list:
Simcoe
Nelson Sauvin
Stella
Topaz
Citra

That should keep me busy for a while

I second Simcoe. Amarillo?

This one person's take and tastes on Nelson Sauvin: I've used it and liked the results in combination with other hops and at various times in the boil right up to flameout, but have found the results disconcertingly unbeerlike when used alone. I'd be curious to hear how an all-NS IPA comes out.

Before there were high alpha hops, obviously IPAs were made from low AAs. An Oregon brewery uses Liberty (<4% AA) alone, and I've heard glowing reports. I suppose a home brewer doing the same would use hop socks or end up with a great mass of green sludge at the end.

I agree simcoe with either citra or amarillo generally works better than just on it's own as well as amarillo is good for bittering and amazing for dry hopping!

I agree simcoe with either citra or amarillo generally works better than just on it's own as well as amarillo is good for bittering and amazing for dry hopping!

Agree also. Did a simcoe IPA recently and its very piney and pretty rough even after a while in the bottle. Grassy and herbal...clearly a nice C hop beer but much better with other stuff to round it out.

Chinook IMO is best for an American IPA style as a single hop....nice red grapefruit flavour and other typical citrus flavours.

I love a good Galaxy smash.
I'm brewing the lazy man's smash today.
Zythos. Not sure what's in it, I'm thinking simcoe and citra, cascade maybe.
mmmm. Sure smells good.
Good one MHB.
Harry

I second Simcoe. Amarillo?

This one person's take and tastes on Nelson Sauvin: I've used it and liked the results in combination with other hops and at various times in the boil right up to flameout, but have found the results disconcertingly unbeerlike when used alone. I'd be curious to hear how an all-NS IPA comes out.

I've done SMaSH with Nelson Sauvin and with Citra.

Nelson, I like in a SMaSH, though I reckon with a stronger bittering addition at 60 minutes, combined with a proper malty backbone. I do have a recipe somewhere on the DB which isn't a SMaSH, but a very nice beer.

Citra - must, must, must have an early addition in a SMaSH - I've done a SMaSH from 30 down to 10 minutes with Citra and it was passion-pop. Nice, but there was no bitterness to balance.

Goomba

I love a good Galaxy smash.
I'm brewing the lazy man's smash today.
Zythos. Not sure what's in it, I'm thinking simcoe and citra, cascade maybe.
mmmm. Sure smells good.
Good one MHB.
Harry

Zythos is bloody good.
I have just had the Epic Zythos and apart from the beer being a tiny bit thinner than their normal efforts the flavour side of this hop was brilliant.
I have 100g sitting to go in my brew after this one!

I'll give the Galaxy single hop IPA another thumbs up. I did the 10min IPA with as fresh as I could get flowers, then dry hopped at 2g/L (pellets), and it was freaking delicious. I've got a couple bags of Citra waiting for my next one.

Latest posts

Back