Simply Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered my second consignment of hops and yeast from Crossmyloof Brew in Glasgow exceptionally cheap, even with the shipping. I asked if they are getting many orders from Australia, he told me a few, but he gets loads of orders from Japan. Never seen any home brew stores in Japan each time I have been there, may explain why.

pretty sure home brewing is illegal in japan which would explain the lack of home brew stores.

Last I heard it was legal, but only up to something like 2.5% ABV.
Mostly kit based, with warnings not to add too much sugar or you will be making "illegal" real beer...
I think there are one or two HBS in Japan now, pretty basic, sort of where we were a couple of decades ago, but its changing with the growth of interest in craft brewing, just coming of a very low base is all.
Mark

I had read that about a alcohol could only be a certain percentage, one would have to wonder how it would be policed, would a home brewer need a licence and face random checks on beers made.
I am sure there is someone who bought a Guten and has contributed in that thread brews in Japan.
Yes Patto is in Owkinawa, must be a few brewing expats over there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back