simple recirculate - crown urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labels said:
I recirculated once and ended up the best effieciency ever at over 90% !!!

Problem was I ended up with a beer that was (1) Over gravity and therefore higher ABV than I wanted - by a considerable amount (2) Thin tasteless and wouldn't hold a head very well and out of balance with the hops because of it. Now I'm happy with 75% efficiency again.
Did you ever recirc again though and adjust to to balance it all out
or are you like me no money single infusion batch sparger

I guess an electric urn would be one place to fairly simply try recirculation as heat regulation could be a tad simpler than say with gas, but just as Bribie seems to be indicating, I'm unsure if there's that much if any benefit to be had over passive insulation, but also considering the vast number of gongs that stock non-recirculating BIAB is continuing to knock off (presumably that is, without much hard evidence apart from anecdotes). As Bribie has also related, a mashout step for BIAB has shown to deliver little or no benefit, IIRC there was a thread on BIABrewer about it, maybe elsewhere too.
OTOH, it could also be the BIAB next level, but if it was me I'd want to be clear about what it is that is being achieved, as from other posters' reports, YMMV and IMO it ain't broke anyway.
My 2C, HTH!

The main reason touted for recirculating is to maintain a steady mash temperature, RIMS style. However most of the action is done and dusted in the first 20 minutes and with even basic insulation such as a doona you usually only lose maybe half a degree in the first half hour, and maybe a degree and a half after an hour and a half.

The idea of mashout is to kill enzyme activity and theoretically achieve a freer flowing wort. As the enzymes are in the wort, by pulling the bag and ramping up to boiling you are achieving the first goal. My efficiency hasn't moved at all since giving up a mashout, but that's anecdotal.

Apart from temperature control, the other idea with recirculation is to build a grain bed and achieve clearer wort. This works fine with a malt pipe but in the case of BIAB you can recirc till the cows come home but when you yank the bag, all your good work is undone instantly.
It is possible to get a grain bed happening by doing the exact opposite to recirculating. In other words just let it rest and lift the bag very gently - as I've posted in a couple of threads and see photo in my previous post.

This is the reason I no longer mashout - taking the paint stirrer and pumping up and down while the temperature ramps to mashout undoes the effects of a nice hour or 90 minute rest.

However a lot of guys are into the Arduino PID pump whatever thing.. that's great, home brewing is a broad church. I'm sure there are jam makers and curry enthusiasts out there with Arduinos. Whatever an Arduino is. :p

If someone could produce a snug fitting malt pipe specifically for a Crown Urn and sell it sub $100 then I guess there would be a good case for adding a pump and doing a Grainfatheresque system. It should hang together nicely, but currently using the bag I prefer to do my bag whispering.

Bribie G said:
If someone could produce a snug fitting malt pipe specifically for a Crown Urn and sell it sub $100
Or you could just use a bag for the same result for under $10.

Bribie G said:
The main reason touted for recirculating is to maintain a steady mash temperature, RIMS style. However most of the action is done and dusted in the first 20 minutes and with even basic insulation such as a doona you usually only lose maybe half a degree in the first half hour, and maybe a degree and a half after an hour and a half.
it also makes step mashes a breeze, if you set your system up right. I recirculate* and routinely mash in at protein rest and go from there, no worries with scorched elements, no worries pumping the mash constantly during ramps. A bit of vorlauf prior to heating and you're golden.

* my setup is 2V but my mash tun is essentially BIAB in a crown urn with a loose mesh bag & pizza tray FB.

I was forgetting step mashes.
Slight dicking around with a bag raise, ramp up then lower bag and re-lag.
However if you do a nice long dex rest you can still get minimal trub. The earlier photo was a Vienna Lager done with a Hochkurz minus mashout.

Bribie G said:
Apart from temperature control, the other idea with recirculation is to build a grain bed and achieve clearer wort. This works fine with a malt pipe but in the case of BIAB you can recirc till the cows come home but when you yank the bag, all your good work is undone
Yer Nah.
You get nice clear wort and when you lift the bag carefully it stays that way. Step mashing is a piece of piss too. So much easier mashing in at protein rest temps with no fighting gum balls then ramp up to first rest. No mixing or lagging, just adjust the flame to hold the desired temp and sit back. Costs stuff all to set up recirc and is basic to plumb yet opens so many options.

The exact point I was making about the clear wort, you get it (as I do) by gentle lifting as opposed to yanking out the bag, whether you recirc or not.

However step mashing would be easier for sure if you are into styles that require step mashing. I normally just do a single infusion.

I'll stick to my sleeping bag method. If I don't keep things simple I'm sure to f*$k it up.
The less moving parts and technology the safer and easier it is for me.
Too complicated, my head hurts.

No worries Bribie. Your no nonsense advice helped me cut through all the over complex BS when I started all grain. Mightn't have persisted otherwise. So cheers as I enjoy my Czech Pils.

Bribie G said:
If someone could produce a snug fitting malt pipe specifically for a Crown Urn and sell it sub $100 then I guess there would be a good case for adding a pump and doing a Grainfatheresque system. It should hang together nicely, but currently using the bag I prefer to do my bag whispering.
If you are still interested in recirc...

Before I bought the Braumiester, I used the Buffalo boiler (popular in the UK), it's similar to a Crown Urn and made a malt pipe using a cheap SS stock pot. Added a handle.

The tap is used to adjust recirculation rate to prevent overflow. Wort was crystal clear.

HOWEVER they were 10-15L(Max) batches, and the pot size (11L) was perfect for that job. You'll need a taller SS pot to make 20L batches.

Pot_MaltPipe.jpg

20150418_183330.jpg

20150418_183237.jpg

20150418_183011.jpg

I've just ordered a 40L cab cooker from eBay to use as a kettle/mash tun. I'll add a ball lock valve and silicone hose to make it easier to empty.

It comes with an basket that I'm planning to line with a BIAB bag. Is it worth setting up some recirc with a set up like this?

It will probably cost around $100 for the recirc hardware, if it's not going to improve the beer I probably won't bother.

Bribie G said:
When I used the urn I used one of the plastic pails Bunnings sell, drilled with hundreds of 3/32 holes in the base.

Latest posts

Back