Simcoe And Dry Hopping? Anyone Got Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Giant

Reaction score
Howdy

Just wondering if anyone has dry hopped with Simcoe before and has any experience.

I've been doing Candian Blonde kits and changing hops everytime to really experience how different they all taste.

Recipie was:
- Canadian Blonde Coopers Can
- 1kg recommend BE2
- 500g LDME
- kit yeast
- 20g Simcoe Hops at 15 mins in the boil with 250g LDME
- Made up to 23 litres
- OG 1042

8 days in and FG is 1016. Can definitely taste the increased bitterness of the Simcoe hops (12.2% AA i believe). They were described to me at the LHBS as fruity and piney. Wouldnt say to fruity but definitely a bit of a piney aftertatse if you can describe that.

Anyway most brews i have also done a dry hop as i really find it accentuates the flavour and aroma. I'm reasonably happy with the taste already but am curious if anyone has dry hopped with Simcoe before and what was their experiences. Was looking at doing maybe 15 or 20g for 3-4 days.

Cheers
Steve

simcoe is my fav hop... I would go for 20g but probably no more...

what flavours/aroma did u find it brough out?
what base were u using?

I find simcoe to be like a combination of Amarillo and Galaxy.

Stonefruit, passionfruit, pine.

I find simcoe to be like a combination of Amarillo and Galaxy.

Stonefruit, passionfruit, pine.

I was gonna say Southern Cross and Nelson Sauvin. But yeah, any fruity hop with some piney/resiny notes.

I was gonna say Southern Cross and Nelson Sauvin. But yeah, any fruity hop with some piney/resiny notes.

Or Citra.

But I do like Simcoe. I find I prefer it to Amarillo, though Amarillo tends to have more margin for error.

Same goes with Nelson Sauvin and Citra - stuff up and the beer is unpalatable. Handled with care, they are fantastic flavour hops.

Goomba

well i'm already getting some flavour notes and bitterness from the 20g at boil so i may err on the side of caution and do a 15g dry hop for 4 days

edit: thanks people

Latest posts

Back