Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have to say the bottles I've had of SNPA haven't been terrible at all, but the tap version was a bit fresher and nicer.

I had it on tap at the Mallow here in Ballarat and it was absolutely shithouse.

Another vote for the cans if you can get them. Great drop.

slcmorro said:
I had it on tap at the Mallow here in Ballarat and it was absolutely shithouse.
I've had au brews on tap at the mallow (and elsewhere) that have been less than ordinary.

Fresh snpa, tap bottle or can is a nice, flavourful apa. Not meant to knock your socks off - just good, balanced hop/malt brew. I've had some really awful oxidised tasting ones too but when it's good, it's good as long as you aren't expecting west coast iiiiiipa tongue twister resin injection (and that makes me glad).

SNPA is a top beer, if it's tasting shithouse on tap I would be thinking the pub serving it is the problem.

As others have said, a fresh SNPA is a thing of beauty. A truly amazing beer. I'm lucky enough to head over to the U.S. once a year to drink it fresh on tap - it's awesome.

I had the misfortune to have it on tap from Le Bon Ton in Collingwood last week. Shithouse. Had lost all its vibe. It was old. Disappointingly I was charged $10 for a glass. Their tap beer list looked exactly the same as it did when I as there two months prior - all the same U.S. imports. Whilst they may be continually bringing in the same beer fresh, that SNPA that I tried would suggest otherwise.

GABBA110360 said:
everybody seems to rave over this pale ale.
my only taste of it I bought a six pack for big dollars to be grossly disappointed to say the least.
it may have been an old batch or something but i'd take some convincing to buy again.
to be frank it was crap
i'm still open on it as it may have been a bad six pack
i'm not sure how it should taste jury is out that is why I wouldn't attempt a clone
cheers
ken
I once bought a stubby from Dan's to bench-mark against my clone attempt. It tasted like crap too. I checked the use-by date and lo and behold it was out of date. Complained to the manager the following week. He asked me to point it out on the shelf. Sure enough all the other singles were out of date too. He gave me a fresh 6-pack of SNPA. Starkly different. If your a fan of American Pale Ales Sierra Nevada is King. Not the last shitty out of date or poorly stored PA I've purchased.

Nope, the original isn't dry hopped, so that clone recipe reflects it. It gets very very close to the original in terms of flavour and aroma, and colour too if I'd used the right crystal :lol: but this doesn't affect it much.

Latest posts

Back