Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Immitation Og=1068!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
Went to the LHBS today and asked for something similar to Sierra Nevada pale ale. What I was given was:
Coopers Australian pale ale 1.7kg
Coopers light malt extract 1.1kg (liquid)
Cascade hop pellets 25g
Safale US.05 yeast

This is only my second brew, and while I expected the OG to be higher than the 10038 of my first brew due to the malt extract instead of the brewing sugar, I did not expect it to be this high. Does it sound normal?
cheers

Sometimes the wort inside the tap contains less dissolved kit/extract and thus the OG seems higher.

If you take another sample straight away it'll probably be much lower.

No one ever told me this, I learnt it from experience.

how many litres did you make? that much liquid extract in 23 litres should only reach about 1.035 - 1..045. did you did you adjust for the temperature?
murray

Sounds like it might not have been thoroughly mixed, perhaps. Not a big deal - the yeast will chew through it all anyway. Perhaps someone could run it through Beersmith or similar for you to confirm.

Went to the LHBS today and asked for something similar to Sierra Nevada pale ale. What I was given was:
Coopers Australian pale ale 1.7kg
Coopers light malt extract 1.1kg (liquid)
Cascade hop pellets 25g
Safale US.05 yeast

This is only my second brew, and while I expected the OG to be higher than the 10038 of my first brew due to the malt extract instead of the brewing sugar, I did not expect it to be this high. Does it sound normal?
cheers

Sounds a bit high to me !
I brewed an AG version and the O.G was 1058
Finishing @ 14 = 5.74% Alcohol.

I did mix it well, however it is possible I guess that it was not mixed properly at the bottom. This seems to make the mist sence. I did redusce the temp to 20 degrees so the reading was accurate. I topped the fermenter up to 22L. I will take another sample tomorrow and see if it is lower.
So it soundl like it's not normal anyways.

It doesn't sound abnormal, just not necessarily accurate.

Relax - it'll be beer and if you keep on top of your temps it might even be good beer.

Good luck with it.

how many litres did you make? that much liquid extract in 23 litres should only reach about 1.035 - 1..045. did you did you adjust for the temperature?
murray

Siera Nevada is a big beer 58 is the O.G in my recipe book.

yeah, but that much liquid extract wouldn't get that high a yeild. at least thats what my beer tools says

I did mix it well, however it is possible I guess that it was not mixed properly at the bottom.

It's not a top / bottom thing. The tap isn't part of the cylindrical part of the fermenter so when you stir anything in the tap can be sheltered from the stirring. When you put the ingredients into the fermenter and mix inside it, the tap fills up with this stronger mixture. When you then add the rest of the water and mix around, it may mix everything except for what is inside the tap already.

So yeah, you could fill up two sample jars and the first one will have a higher OG than the second.

I reckon this probably happens to most kit brewers whether they know it or not.

yeah, but that much liquid extract wouldn't get that high a yeild. at least thats what my beer tools says

You are right Murray I looked at the Beer and new it should be big so wasn't surprised.
Just put the # in Beersmith and it could onl be 1044 for 22 litres.

Marks advice is probably spot on if these are the onnly ingredients.

Yep,

SNPA would be expected to come in at least 1.050 (if it were all-grain).

Your recipe looks OK given your extract will probably finish lower than 1.010.

Its gunna be nothing like SNPA but will give you an insight to American "c" hops (Cascade is one of them and also relates to Citrus). Personally, I think they shit all over the high-alpha European "d" hops (D is for dirt) for flavouring.

cheers

darren

Drop the Perle (nasty German Pine hop) and replace with Centennial (high-alpha C hop).

cheers

Darren

Unless you actually wish to use the same hops used in the commercial example.

Unless you actually wish to use the same hops used in the commercial example.

Of course you would be "on the know"?

SNPA is a poor but well quoted example of style.

Just like Little Creatures USED to be great beer until they also moved across to inferior Euro hops

SNPA is a poor but well quoted example of style.

Personal opinion aside, yes he could make a tasty APA with your suggested hops but his expressed intent is to get near a specific example - there is some sense in making him aware of the hops that are used in the real deal. No, I do not think it likely that anyone could achieve that aim using the Coopers Australian Pale Ale as their base.

And I believe the expression you were looking for is "in the know". These guys might know a little more about it than me so I'll defer to their wisdom. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds like I should disgard the first sample in future as it will be generally un mixed and therefore more dense.
In regards to the style of beer, Im not all too farmiliar with the different styles as yet but I really enjoyed the American pale ales while I was over there, so anything resembline an americal pale and I will be happy. I was quite surprised at the how strong the smell of the hops was!
I was told to just drop them in the fermenter, Im guessing this is the easy way to do it?(and possibly less effective) as all the literature I have found mentiones boiling it in the wort first.
cheers

Latest posts

Back