Show Us Your Yeast Bank Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Brewers
One of our illustrius brewers asked me to start this thread - he loves my yeast fridge and wanted me to share it with you.
Thanks Pumpy

so here it is there's a bit of a variety now but still not filled to capacity got a few dozen more to add to the yeast bank
Franko

yeastbank.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

I think i just made a mess in my pants.....damn thats hot.

Is the iMac your brew computer??

There is no way I could get a fridge as shiny as Franko's
Cheers
Gerard

Kaitlyn__s_birthday_002.jpg

Taken off the fridge for the photo... ;)

P1050024.JPG

I've got three of these stands (selfmade) full of yeast cultures.

Cheers,

Alex

:blink:

Awesome, just plain awesome.

I have just got my fermentation fridges sorted, SWMBO will not be to happy about my next "investment".. in the cue!!

Well done Franko and thanks Pumpy I guess...

God I look forward to the years to come :D

how long can you keep yeast for ????

If you store the slants proper you can store them for several months to years. And if you copy them from time to time you always have small healthy portions of yeast strains for decades ;)

Cheers,

Alex

C'mon guys I only just got my AG gear together and you pull this on me..... :p

So where do people get the tubes from? Are the labeled ones from White Labs? Only liquid yeast I have dealt with is a WYeast which I used once, but looking at starting my own yeast collection shortly...

Nice one Frank

Getting a good collection. Dont you think the fridge would look better RED :rolleyes:

Kabooby ;)

Not quite as organised as yours Franko, but here is mine.

Doc

YeastFridge_001.jpg

YeastFridge_002.jpg

So looking at Doc's , Franco's and Gerards, you blokes don't store them under sterile water?
Do you guys just save some of the yeast cake or pour a bit off while it is fermenting?

Rook

Not quite as organised as yours Franko, but here is mine.

Doc

Doc, you've got a couple of pretty old yeasts in there judging by the dates (I see at east one '06 and one '04 bottle). Are you still expecting these to fire up ok?

Andrei

Doc, you've got a couple of pretty old yeasts in there judging by the dates (I see at east one '06 and one '04 bottle). Are you still expecting these to fire up ok?

Yeah it is due for a cull.
I've had success resurrecting yeast from 3+ years before. Just depends on the strain, and how much yeast is in the bottle.
I use a stir plate too.

Doc

Taken off the fridge for the photo... ;)

P1050024.JPG

I've got three of these stands (selfmade) full of yeast cultures.

Cheers,

Alex
I have slant envy, the green eyed monster is stirring.I dont have as many but my slant tubes are bigger! Once I find a lid for them I can put some cells in them. :(
GB

Hey Brewers
One of our illustrius brewers asked me to start this thread - he loves my yeast fridge and wanted me to share it with you.
Thanks Pumpy

so here it is there's a bit of a variety now but still not filled to capacity got a few dozen more to add to the yeast bank
Franko

Thanks Frank ,

I must say to everyone that fridge is 'always' so meticulously arranged like that not just for the photo .

I know Frank is very proud of it, I once went around one late night for a beer and Frank was boiling up his little files and filling them with gelatine ,I had never seen anyone so enthusiastic about culturing yeast slants .

However Frank I feel there is no need to wear those full white overalls , face filter mask,,safety goggles and those surgical rubber gloves when you get a file of yeast out of your Yeast Bank Fridge . ;)

I regard Frank as one of the groups leading experts on the culturing of the yeast styles .

That Yeast Bank Fridge is a credit to him !!

Pumpy :)

I thought I'd show mine so you can see how good franko's is...
It does the job and I have around 10 strains I think.

IMGP3000resize.jpg

Latest posts

Back