Show Us Your Sparge Arm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried sparge arms with holes and I have found that invariably they block up when recirculating.
If you are only adding sparge water then they are fine however if you are recirculating for clarity or herms/rims operation then you will need to use the "cup runneth over" method.

Mash_Tun__5__Small_.jpg

similar to above.

Cheers

I was thinking of putting some fine voile over the manifold to eliminate/reduce the chunks going through the system.

:unsure: will soon find out ;)

Yob

I was thinking of putting some fine voile over the manifold to eliminate/reduce the chunks going through the system.

:unsure: will soon find out ;)

Yob
After my brewing disasters with wheat, highly recommended. Works like a charm.
Go a step further and dough into a sheet of voile, makes grain removal a piece of cake.

Also, next time I'm gonna let water rise above the fb level before I dough in.

After my brewing disasters with wheat, highly recommended. Works like a charm.
Go a step further and dough into a sheet of voile, makes grain removal a piece of cake.

Also, next time I'm gonna let water rise above the fb level before I dough in.

I use this beerbelly wort return, to do just that - return wort, i.e. for vorlauf. As far as sparging goes, underletting rules (IMO)

righty ho...

all set for 2 things this weekend... spacTAPular tmoz night :party: and to use me bad boy Mk IV on sat. planned a double, probably back to back as it's the first use for a fair bit of the kit.

2.JPG

sits in there nicely, very stable and happy with the position in the MT

3.JPG

The flow..

I did add a couple of small holes at the bottom middle thirds of it after that photo, not too concerned about getting blocked but will be easy enough to enlarge the holes on the fly if I have to and will keep an eye on it.

a good beer weekend planned.. just hoping the hops turn up ;)

:party:

I have tried sparge arms with holes and I have found that invariably they block up when recirculating.

Yep had three types over the years and they do!

Been using this for the past 3 years, inspired by the Blichmann Sparger, no float valve, just the silicon hose with a fishing net float at the end to hold the hose at water level. No channeling 90%+ mash eff.

MLT_Wort_Return.JPG

Screwy

I use the same thing screwy but I am getting some fierce channeling going on....

I'm thinking of lashing out on a beer belly wort return dish.

I use the same thing screwy but I am getting some fierce channeling going on....

I'm thinking of lashing out on a beer belly wort return dish.
I use to use a BB wort return dish KBB, I now use a piece of silicon hose same as Screwy (see post #19) If you want a second hand BB unit you can have mine at a fair price.

Screwy are you using that for fly?

Natch..............real brewing :lol:

If you're recirculating...................... stop fcuking stirring. All the flour and small particulate matter ends up forming an impervious layer accross the top of your grist.

Like this mud
13.jpg

Belongs to some slack brewer, can't remember who :p

Screwy

Slow your flow down dan, and make sure the outlet hose is sitting flat on the surface if possible. You saw how much channeling I got (not much) and lets face it, if you're batch sparging it's not really an issue.

Cheers

righty ho...

all set for 2 things this weekend... spacTAPular tmoz night :party: and to use me bad boy Mk IV on sat. planned a double, probably back to back as it's the first use for a fair bit of the kit.

View attachment 54458

sits in there nicely, very stable and happy with the position in the MT

View attachment 54459

The flow..

I did add a couple of small holes at the bottom middle thirds of it after that photo, not too concerned about getting blocked but will be easy enough to enlarge the holes on the fly if I have to and will keep an eye on it.

a good beer weekend planned.. just hoping the hops turn up ;)

:party:

that looks good yob, how much space have you got underneath that arm, and how far into the mash would it sit?

cheers,

BN

Wont really know for sure till tmoz, but i think it will sit just under the liquor right near the top of the bed for a single batch and probably within the bed for a double... Im going to use a bit of voille over the manifold.. Its a little bit of suck it and see at this stage but from the dry run it seems promising.

Its all a bit temporary as im planning to go to a keg MT in the near future so ill have to start again..

How did your return work out Nath? No blockages?

How did your return work out Nath? No blockages?

The return worked really well, but experiments still continue.

Blew one of the elements last weekend in my rig and trying to work out if it was just a dud element or some other issue.
Volume level seemed to fluctuate in the sightglass, so im wondering if the pump drew the wort out, back in through the return, but maybe the return liquor wasn't able to penetrate the mash as fast as what the pump was returning it. I may have ended up with the elements partially out of the wort hence blowing one up. Need to experiment with flow rates, and might try the original manifold again as this literally dumped all the water at a pretty feirce rate right to the bottom of the mash where i reckon it would have no problems making itself available for the pump again.........

Temp seemed to maintain very well though so i'm stoked with your idea of the holes - cheers mate!

Latest posts

Back