Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the wierdest boner right now. I have all the timber and all the tools and I still haven't done this. Well played craftsmen......inspirational.

Started making my mash paddle today out of some left over tassie oak. Still got some hand carving to go if I can be bothered and some sanding. Whats everyone using to seal theirs?

1433412515140.jpg

huez said:
Started making my mash paddle today out of some left over tassie oak. Still got some hand carving to go if I can be bothered and some sanding. Whats everyone using to seal theirs?
Work of art.

I was lucky enough to have a fellow homebrewer make me a stainless mash paddle. I absolutely love it. Smashes through doughballs and is an ease to clean. This is a shot of me using while making some burnt honey mead.

1433823188047.jpg

Mash paddle crafted from a plastic chopping board and a cut-down broom handle.
Total cost $6 including electricity and wear on the jigsaw.
Also posted in the ghetto gear thread.
mash_paddle_.jpg

Got my brother to weld it up then pickled it with phosphoric and citric acid slurry.
Came up alright, now cant wait to use it in anger. Plan is to be able to use it in the drill when ramping temps. ( Gas biab setup...)
Stoked!
ed. Mashing 16kg in 90l pot so not too much overkill ha ha.

20160117_133308.jpg

20160117_133225.jpg

Les the Weizguy said:
Mash paddle crafted from a plastic chopping board and a cut-down broom handle.
Total cost $6 including electricity and wear on the jigsaw.
Also posted in the ghetto gear thread.
attachicon.gif
mash_paddle_.jpg
Hehe, this really appeals to my Scottish heritage..... I might have to trundle off to Big W to find the cheapest cutting board I can find.

simplefisherman said:
Got my brother to weld it up then pickled it with phosphoric and citric acid slurry.
Came up alright, now cant wait to use it in anger. Plan is to be able to use it in the drill when ramping temps. ( Gas biab setup...)
Stoked!
ed. Mashing 16kg in 90l pot so not too much overkill ha ha.
Looks like a sand anchor! :beerbang:

Planning on making myself a mash paddle. Recently bought a jigsaw so may as well put it to some good use. Any tips on straight lines? My last few efforts of using the jigsaw have ended up with lines as crooked as a politician.

welly2 said:
Planning on making myself a mash paddle. Recently bought a jigsaw so may as well put it to some good use. Any tips on straight lines? My last few efforts of using the jigsaw have ended up with lines as crooked as a politician.
Dont push the blade, let it cut - slow slow...

TWSS.

welly2 said:
If possible clamp a straight piece of timber on top of the timber you are going to cut, then let that timber be the guide for the jigsaw. Hope that makes sense? That's is what I do, and it seems to work better than freestyle.

welly2 said:
straight edge (length of wood) and clamps
run the base plate against the straight edge.

bobs yer auntie you have a straight cut

Look slightly in front of the blade as your cutting not at where the blade is cutting . It's like driving a car or motorcycle fast, when they say look through the corner not at it

doctr-dan said:
Look slightly in front of the blade as your cutting not at where the blade is cutting . It's like driving a car or motorcycle fast, when they say look through the corner not at it

When riding dirt motos up big hills, they say that when you look at the hill, the hill looks back at you.

I never really worked out what it meant, but it was a bit uncomfortable when looking at hills like The Widowmaker.

In this context, perhaps it means to look out for your fingers...........

Oh, and if you look at the rock, you'll hit the rock.

Ps: as above, clamp a straight peice of timber etc and go slow.

Edit: Missing H

Edit 2: It was a h, not a H

Got tired of snapping long handled brewing spoons in the mash. My usual brewing offsider does a fair bit of work with wood. Mentioned my problem to him, he made this for me.

Pretty stoked, reckon it looks great. He did it all by hand with chisels etc. He did tell me the timber, but I can't recall, apparently came out of some cupboards that were pulled out of a 100yo house.

BRB paddle.JPG

Back