Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slap some single coils on that sucker and you're not far off a workable axe...for Gene Simmons

That's one badass paddle mate :beerbang:

Dosn't compare to most on here but knocked this up out of a scrap piece of jarrah which was destined for the fire.

mash_paddle.jpg

Shame I couldn't line up the drill press and get the holes all in a line :lol: .

I dunno, man. I'm tuned to baritone at the moment and even my stings aren't slack enough to follow that fretboard.

what timber does a mash paddle have to be made out of - or rather what timber cant it be made out of?

Sprungmonkey said:
what timber does a mash paddle have to be made out of - or rather what timber cant it be made out of?
Any timber that has a strong aroma should probably be avoided, eg Camphor Laurel and Cedar.
Also don't use treated, painted, or oiled timber.

Australian hardwoods are excellent at giving you splinters.

Many health issues related to timber come from breathing dust and fumes. (I'm not including being hit on the head with a lump of 4x2, which of course would be a significant health issue). So keep this in mind when cutting and sanding.

Any timber products that contain glue should probably also be avoided, because PVA, polyurethane, epoxy, or urea formaldehyde glues are things that could make you :icon_vomit:

Radiata Pine would be as good as any to use, it's cheap, light weight, comes already dressed, no splinters, etc.
Or you could go all creative with Huon, Hoop, or Baltic Pine, or use Oak timbers.

I just bought a wooden paddle from a hospitality supplies shop (that way I know it is food safe, and it was cheap) and drilled some 20mm holes thru it. doesn't look anything too special but it's a cheap, effective and food safe option, until I can be bothered making something a bit flash looking...

IMAG0732.jpg

Made this at work, been really quiet lately. Free bit of Tassie Oak lying around the factory, thought I'd put it to good use

swiss cheese mash paddle.jpg

Sorry about the necro, but I blame others for not keeping this thread alive.

This could also be posted in the ghetto gear thread. Inspired by a chopping board modification on a Jamie Oliver TV show, where they turned it into paddle in an home-made ice cream maker.

This morning I made a mash paddle out of a polypropylene (#5 - PP) chopping board and an old broom/mop handle. Just need to drill and bolt through.
Tools required - Jig saw with a wood blade (about 10 teeth per inch)
Drill, and 1/2" drill bit.
2 SS bolts and nuts to assemble.

I have not finished up the edges or anything, so it looks more than a little rustic so far, but also seems good for the money (which wasn't much). May not bother.

Broomstick chopboard mash paddle.jpg

My board contains Ultra-Fresh Anti-bacterial Protection which appears to be a surface treatment which deters growth of salmonella and listeria. So it's OK for brewing?

Smashin said:
Finally gave back SWMBO's spatula, this may be cheating but it sure make mashing a hell of a lot easier, just hooked up the drill on a make shift stand. Just used for first time, kept mash agitated through out the mash (because i could) also made mash out easier (no burns).

attachicon.gif
Paddle_1.JPG

attachicon.gif
Paddle_2.JPG

:D :D
I want one!

Latest posts

Back