Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this little beauty today - 24inch wooden paddle. I'm going to get the spade bits out tonight, but wondering what the ideal size, spacing and number of holes is best? I'm sure there are probably 3000 correct answers to this.....but.....
DSC00030.JPG

Picked up a SS paddle today measures 1010mm top to bottom actual paddle face is 135mm wide x 150mm high for a grand sum of 18 bucks at the markets.

When I work out how to add a pic I will
Cheers Brad

Can someone send a link of how to add a pciture. I am having a dumbass moment.

click add reply instead of fast reply and there is a brouse tab below on the right.

Just select photo and upload or put it in photobucket ect and post the image link

cheers

Thanks Tony
Yep I always hit the add reply. But I only have a box that says 'Manage Current Attachments' , I hit the down arrow and it saya no current attachments.

Cheers Brad

Edit there is no browse??? Sure there used to be

Got this paddle made up quickly from S/S at work the other day. Shall give it a test run soon.

Still need to give it a quick touch up to remove the sharp edges.

Cheers
Rob

paddle.JPG

102_3593.JPG
Comparing spoons
102_3591.JPG
Need to knock the corners off. Not so much a mash paddle more a kettle spoon.

Cheers Brad

Mine looks like this. I click brouse and find the file then clich upload.

all done

cheers

Attach.jpg

Well picked up my one of a kind proto-type mash paddle.My wooden stewing spoon finally bit the dust. It is now part of the firewood heap awating cremation.

Wayne at BEERBELLY has certainly exceeded my expectations. Persoanlly engraved with the name of the brewery (My Precious). Won't put the price up because the budget police at home might just cut alllll my future budgets. But it is a bloody work of art. Not sure whether to hang it on the bar wall or use it. Because of the smooth and buffed surface I reckon it should be able to drip dry by itself :D

BYB

IMGP2272.JPG

IMGP2275.JPG

OK, another pic I've been meaning to take, my mash paddle. It was made out of a piece of alu pole that was lying around, and my dad's friend kindly welded the bit of metal onto it. Quite a good job.

IMGP0144640x480.jpg

The ladies always tell me that my mash paddle is quite long.

...because Im a very lazy *******:

Totally off the topic but just want to know what you have coated the stand in. Looks like it is powder coated but thought that would melt off.
Look schmicko...

BIAB1%20002.JPG

Paint stirrer from the big green shed. works great for BIAB as it's just like mashing potatoes.

I have a Bunnings paint stirrer which actually works much better than the flat plastic mash paddle that i had before, it uses an up and down motion rather than stirring.
Really good for BIABing.

I've seen those Bunnings paint stirrers in the photo above, and they look like mild steel with a very thin coat of paint. I'd be concerned about the paint ending up in the beer.

And to those with stainless paddles - don't they get hot in your hand?

It finally happened after 2 1/2 years of AG

spoon.jpg

Now I have an excuse to make one

I've seen those Bunnings paint stirrers in the photo above, and they look like mild steel with a very thin coat of paint. I'd be concerned about the paint ending up in the beer.

And to those with stainless paddles - don't they get hot in your hand?

not in your hand while you're stirring the mash, but if you're stirring the kettle and leave the mashpaddle with the handle over the edge with the burner going for a little while they can bite a bit when you go to pick it back up..... :lol: ....but then you only tend to do it once. <_<

Finally gave back SWMBO's spatula, this may be cheating but it sure make mashing a hell of a lot easier, just hooked up the drill on a make shift stand. Just used for first time, kept mash agitated through out the mash (because i could) also made mash out easier (no burns).

Paddle_1.JPG

Paddle_2.JPG

:D :D

So how many knots does the tinny manage with that on the outboard? :p

I have the plastic ended Bunnings paint stirrer, looks like a big potato masher, plastic handle metal shaft plastic masher, works a treat, improved my efficiency way more that the wooden spoon i started out with

Back