Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how many knots does the tinny manage with that on the outboard? :p

lol....Doesn't take much to get the mash on a plane, if you get a bit throttle happy she'll trow the mash on the ceiling, only did it once....lol

The agitator blade was surplus to a project as it was too small for the application (some times these mistakes might be seen to be deliberate :unsure: ) . I've only just called in a favor to put the shaft on it. Now to build a more permanent mounting for it.
:)

Hey Wayne I like it. Great bit of work Smashin what do I have to do to entice you to make one for me.

:icon_drunk:

The agitator blade was surplus to a project as it was too small for the application (some times these mistakes might be seen to be deliberate :unsure: ) . I've only just called in a favor to put the shaft on it. Now to build a more permanent mounting for it.
:)
No worries mate just kidding. But it has prompted my beer sodden brain with an idea for my own MT

cheers :icon_cheers:

I have the plastic ended Bunnings paint stirrer, looks like a big potato masher, plastic handle metal shaft plastic masher, works a treat, improved my efficiency way more that the wooden spoon i started out with
Does it look like this one of mine? Works a treat.

Boston, mine looks like a different model of the same paddle, mine can be unclipped at the mash end and turned vertically.
Basically the same thing though. Works a treat for BIABing.

Finally gave back SWMBO's spatula, this may be cheating but it sure make mashing a hell of a lot easier, just hooked up the drill on a make shift stand. Just used for first time, kept mash agitated through out the mash (because i could) also made mash out easier (no burns).

View attachment 28564

View attachment 28565

:D :D
I love the Leaning Tower of Hydro in the back!!

edit: Damn can't see the pics above!

Here is mine ready to be christened. Got it from a hospitality shop up at Kawana for less than $7.00. Just drilled the holes in it today... nothing like the smell of sawdust at 5.30 in the morning :wub:

+1

Got one of these last week from a Kitchen shop for $8
Haven't drilled any holes yet, never seen these elusive dough balls :unsure:

Gunna go back and buy a smaller version to replace my broken Coopers spoon :( (Done while aerating a no-chill AG in the fermenter ready for yeast pitching)

PAGING GUEST LURKER, REPEAT, PAGING GUEST LURKER

WE HAVE PENETRATION, SAY AGAIN, WE HAVE PENETRATION

paddle.jpg

I finally got a mash paddle! Beats using a coopers spoon for sure.

Bought it from a home wares store. Great for BIAB in an urn (up down action). Was only $15 or so too from memory. The handle sticks out by 20cm when sitting in a crown urn so a great length.

PIC_0030.jpg

Just upgraded :ph34r: from 3V AG to BIAB Single Vessel and I thought I'd also treat myself to a new stainless mash paddle.

med_gallery_7556_732_22622.jpg

med_gallery_7556_732_16301.jpg

med_gallery_7556_732_83783.jpg

med_gallery_7556_732_117114.jpg

Decided it was time to retire the old spoon which came with the original BrewCraft kit.

It's a cheapie wooden paddle from Target, originally designed to be used in woks etc. I took to it with a drill and my trusty dremel, and ground the channels into it. The handle was extended with a piece of Tassie Oak, flattened to fit the paddle handle. It was glued and screwed into place.

I used it for the first time this morning, and it certainly mixes the grains much quicker than the old spoon did, and not a sign of a doughball.

All up, about 12 bucks to put it all together.

IMG_0297.jpg

I don't think I've posted this in here before, a potato masher would be easier for BIAB but this does the job.

paddle.jpg

My new mash bling. 316SS, only picked it up yesterday so it still needs a bit of a polish.

Standing beside a keg for size comparison.
gallery_9226_839_331832.jpg

Same as Barley Belly's, 60cm Stainless Steel Potato Masher Mash Weapon

mash_weapon.jpg

Great for BIAB

Back