Show Us Your Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmm... delicious hoppy krausen.

Notto.

Capture.JPG

This really pissed me off this morning:

DSC_0783.JPG
DSC_0782.JPG

Note all the black 1.087 Wort over the fridge, stand and concrete. Must have been at least a Full litre of Wort escapedthrough the blow off.

This thread alone makes me NEVER want to try and brew one of these bad boys :lol:

Just use a fermenter with an actual lid with seal and it cant escape... I have a massive 1272 krausen pushing up against my fermenter with lid after 24hrs..i am not worried in the slightest :p

Just use a fermenter with an actual lid with seal and it cant escape... I have a massive 1272 krausen pushing up against my fermenter with lid after 24hrs..i am not worried in the slightest :p

Yeast stress?

I just use my big 30L fermenter for the big Top Cropping Yeasts... Most of us know the usual suspects.
I figure 10L of head space for a 20L batch should be enough, but I still rig a blow off tube for Wy3787 and Wy1469.

You should stick to lagers :p

Funny you should mention that, that was exactly my first thought when I saw the mess.

It would still come out of your airlock or whatever. Either that or your fermenter will explode :eek:

My 'fermenter' has been sitting in the weather for the last year or so, taken on all sorts of weird colours from various moulds, so that's out.

Besides, I was very proud of my brand new blow off contraption up until this morning (only turned up in the mail yesterday so a short moment of pride). Seems like I need a bigger vessel to stick the end of the tube into.

Yeast stress?

From what exactly? I always pitch plenty of fresh healthy yeast, i would hazard a guess more than most people do for a 23L batch and i usually do 12L.
There is little or no pressure build up in my fermenter, if there was there would be a definite hiss when opening the lid.
Also i recall a recent thread on people fermenting in kegs under pressure and that it may have benefits in regards to reducing the production of compounds that may contribute to off flavours.

It would still come out of your airlock or whatever. Either that or your fermenter will explode :eek:

I was not having a go or anything, simply stating the SIMPLE facts that are true to me.
I use a lid with no airlock hole on a barrel type fermenter with the O ring in place. I tighten the lid till it seals then back it off a notch.
The CO2 finds its way out, the krausen does not, very simple.
When ferment is finished i close the lid tight again.
Airlocks are IMO useless. That does not mean everyone should not use them, as usual YMMV.

Cheers

Same yeast (Wyeast Greenbelt), grown from the same slant and in the same starter until the 2nd-to-last step of the starter process, same temperature.
... surprisingly different krusen:

The Amercian Black Ale krusen is thick and yeasty, looking much like a top-cropping English Ale:
GB_krausen1.jpg

While the Widbier krusen is light and fluffy, looking more like foam from shaking the fermentor than a yeast-kusen:
GB_krausen2.jpg

... kind-of goes to prove that there is no right/wrong/expected/other when it comes to how yeast should look and behave during fermentation.

Everybody loves a good Krausen! So I thought I could be forgiven for reviving this thread :)

Here's a shot of my Wit I made a few weeks back. Fermed with Wyeast 3944.

Note this is after the clean up. It managed to shit out the airlock and the lid, quite the mess and stank to clean up.

All is good now though!

wit_krausen.JPG

must be the season for yeast to party

i opened the fridge for a sniff and .....

at least they were polite enough to crawl towards the door :)

DSCF5540.JPG

I thought I was going to be in trouble here. Wyeast Trappist High Gravity 3787. Pitched the right starter, according to yeastcalc.com for 53L at 1.066
Should work out to be a 7.7% Belgian Blonde. Just a smidge over for style.
The krausen blew up to the glad wrap on day 4 and shes sitting at 1.030. but on its way down now, so dodged a massive cleanup there. Just a wipe around the top with some starsanned paper towel, a new piece of glad wrap and hopefully all is ok for the rest of the ferment.

photo (11).JPG

Wolfy said:
Same yeast (Wyeast Greenbelt), grown from the same slant and in the same starter until the 2nd-to-last step of the starter process, same temperature.
... surprisingly different kr�usen

The greenbelt you gave me at the July 2012 case swap wolfy. She's a monster.

photo.JPG

Went to add 1kg of Amber candi syrup to the Dubbel fermenting on day 3.... ~12L headspace not enough for the 3787 monster.

Mopped up about a litre from bottom of tucker box.

IMG_1097.JPG

Smurtos English IPA with 1469 I brewed on monday. Never used it before so didn't know what to expect. Popped down to my cellar just then to take a look. Hope this is as big as it gets! I don't want to clean up a mess.

null_zpsfee7069d.jpg

Latest posts

Back