Show Us Your Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Southern English Brown Ale (wlp005) has brains! :lol:

DSCN4510.JPG

Altbier be blazzes it looks like a meatlovers pizza

Hi guys,

I'm brewing a Weizen with WY3068. I'm brewing 23L in a 25L (plus headspace) fermenter and about 36-40 hours from pitching the Krausen has gone off!!

I'm a Glad Wrap user because it's easier than an airlock and lid situation. What's the best plan of attack here? I want to clean up the mess and replace the Glad cover with a new one but will it just keep happening? Is there any way to use a blowoff tube in a Glad Wrapped brew?

Maybe I should wait a day or so for the ferment to settle down and then change/clean up.

Any thoughts?

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Keep cleaning it up and once it starts to subside get the lid / glad wrap back on.

It can indeed be a beast!

If you want to avoid a big mess

In a draft free room, move the fermenter and assemble your gladwrap & paper towel.

rouse the fermenter somewhat, i generally find it cuases the yeast to bloom some more then subside back into the beer.

Peel off the gladwrap from the fermenter and toss into a plastic bag.

wipe down around the rim of the fermenter the excess krausen/yeast, feel free to hit your secondary paper with some starsan if you feel so inclined.

re-wrap with some glad wrap.

back to business, happy days. :icon_cheers:

Keep cleaning it up and once it starts to subside get the lid / glad wrap back on.

It can indeed be a beast!

Get it back on? It hasn't come off completely yet. Do you mean clean and sanitize the outside as much as possible and when it's settling down replace the lid?

BTW I'm fermenting this one at 17 and the banana and clove are in a beautiful restrained balance with some lovely vanilla tones coming through. :icon_drool2:

If you want to avoid a big mess

In a draft free room, move the fermenter and assemble your gladwrap & paper towel.

rouse the fermenter somewhat, i generally find it cuases the yeast to bloom some more then subside back into the beer.

Peel off the gladwrap from the fermenter and toss into a plastic bag.

wipe down around the rim of the fermenter the excess krausen/yeast, feel free to hit your secondary paper with some starsan if you feel so inclined.

re-wrap with some glad wrap.

back to business, happy days. :icon_cheers:

Do you find you have to repeat the process for a crazy yeast like 3068?

I guess the thing to keep in mind is positive pressure from the ferment during the krausen means bugs are kept out. Once it subsides the positive pressure is reduced then dissipates to near zero.

I would go with Fourstar's approach or just ensure some gladwrap is covering the fermentor even if it leaks out the side.

You could replace with a solid lid and blowoff tube into a bucket to capture the mess...

Right-O Time to clean then!

It's a solid, sticky monster of a krausen though :kooi:

Yeah - nothin for it but to dive in and clean it up as best you can. Fourstar has the gist of it; swirling it will help it outgas and give you a bit of space.
Every chance you'll have to do it again too; all in the name of good beer.

I've only used 3068 a couple of times and found it does that (though I generally leave a lot of headroom) so you gotta be ready for it. The real beast is 3787 - that will crawl out and strangle you in your sleep.

Harvested US-05 2 days in has gone ballistic... expecting to have to clean something up tmoz ;)

from the side
3.JPG

from the top
4.JPG

:lol: :lol:

Must be the time of year or something ;) , I'm having drama's with some 1056.... the one time I decide not to use the blowoff tube the bastards pop out to say hello....

Really starting to get sick of sterilizing and swapping airlocks <_<

Vulgar Panorama Bar & Grill-work is a neighborhood restaurant and bar which has been delivery the Alston/Brighton Vocation for the chivalric 16 period. We characteristic locally sourced beers from New England breweries and livelihood our localized Colony farmers. Our work has ever been to be the champion community building and bar we can be. We relinquish naught and cater level for the reactionary value.

Computer Store Online Computer Store

so, from that I take it you are having gladwrap issues too then?

Yes 3068 needs plenty of headspae or a blow off tube. If you've gone the glad wrap route a blow off tube is not an option, 1 good reason for keeping your lid.

cheers Ross

so, from that I take it you are having gladwrap issues too then?

It seems he might have inhaled too deeply when lifting the lid :blink: :p

*edit* "Vulgar Panorama Bar & Grill" does has a nice ring to it though :lol:

've had a few quiet large krausens explosions of late so thought I might start this thread to hear other peoples stories of large explosions. This image is my latest IIPA that I pitched wyeast 1272 American II into. What bewildered me was I pitched exactly the same measure of yeast (150ml thick slurry) into 1 30L fermentor and 1 25L fermentor, same beer in each at 1.078 aerated with a s/s paint mixer for 2min and the 30L went off it's head but the 25L was quiet an aggressive ferment but never blew or even made it to the gladwrap.
If you guys have some pics id'e love to see them.
:icon_cheers:
IMG_0494.jpg

Latest posts

Back