Show Us Your Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done sir, I think that is a winner. I've never came close to anything that big.

Jeezus christ!

You seriously need to get into top cropping (if you haven't done it before)

That krausen is just begging to be captured and reused.

've had a few quiet large krausens explosions of late so thought I might start this thread to hear other peoples stories of large explosions. This image is my latest IIPA that I pitched wyeast 1272 American II into. What bewildered me was I pitched exactly the same measure of yeast (150ml thick slurry) into 1 30L fermentor and 1 25L fermentor, same beer in each at 1.078 aerated with a s/s paint mixer for 2min and the 30L went off it's head but the 25L was quiet an aggressive ferment but never blew or even made it to the gladwrap.
If you guys have some pics id'e love to see them.
:icon_cheers:
View attachment 52484

Tell the truth gav you dropped mentos in there didn't you...... :blink:

You need temperature control.

I rekon explosive krausen yeasts are a PITA if there is no benefit.. ie does it ferment faster? Cleaner? if it's just big it means more surface area to clean up.. I much prefer a tight compact krausen dealing yeast... That said I currently have a 4 inch + Mo Fo in my fridge.. lukily for me stops just short of the lid..

heres an older one pretty much with the same behaviour

LINKY

You need temperature control.
I do, it was sitting pretty at 18 degrees mate.

EDIT: I actually pitched the recommended amount for that gravity and it was pitched at 17-18 degrees. All I can think is I pitched a good amount of healthy yeast and it took off. This one will be on at the case swap so be great to get feedback on it.

Just wait til it dies off then comes back harder. :ph34r:

i've read this a few times, that 1272 has a second wind

i have a ferment with 1272 in its 8th day and the krausen is still hanging around

is this common experience ?

It doesn't always come back for me but it does always hang around forever. Sometimes after FG.

It doesn't always come back for me but it does always hang around forever. Sometimes after FG.

thats where i'm at, fg and krausen

i'll give it a couple more days and crash chill

Just wait til it dies off then comes back harder. :ph34r:

This is after 5 days chugging away on some slurry of 1272. Normal krausen until this morning when it does this! In my garage at the moment with the foam mat the wort stays at 17-20'. This is my first pack of 1272, it's a bloody monster!

109_1873.JPG

109_1872.JPG

Better hide the evidence from the missus or it will no more home brew in the garage.

1272 seems to be an active little climber...

Here's the second explosion of krausen.

krausen.jpg

Nice krausen-bun. Good job that's tucked inside a fridge, I could see the whole thing just raising into the air and sailing away.
I've got a 1272 on the way back down right now, nothing as dramatic though, just the usual fluffy barnet.

I have the Wyeast Klsch II yeast fermenting a Klsch-style beer at 15C. 30 litre fermentor (so about 32 litres to the top), with 21 litres of beer.
First 24 hrs, the yeast foamed out the top of the airlock.
Not as if it's running hot at 15C.
*edited the yeast name only*

Better hide the evidence from the missus or it will no more home brew in the garage.

She will like this beer so there shouldn't be any complaints ;)

I know for next time to use a blowoff with this baby that's foshiz.

Back