Show Us Your Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausen2.jpg

soundawake said:
Smurtos English IPA with 1469 I brewed on monday. Never used it before so didn't know what to expect. Popped down to my cellar just then to take a look. Hope this is as big as it gets! I don't want to clean up a mess.

null_zpsfee7069d.jpg
Is that the new coopers fv?

Nice Krausens in here, I've never had anything climb more than 2-3 litres, maybe its because I only use dry yeast and don't do starters?

I've got plans for my next few AG experiments so I will be throwing some wyeast packs at them.

Jurt said:
Is that the new coopers fv?

Nice Krausens in here, I've never had anything climb more than 2-3 litres, maybe its because I only use dry yeast and don't do starters?

I've got plans for my next few AG experiments so I will be throwing some wyeast packs at them.
Yeah it's the Coopers FV. I believe the newest version has a different tap than mine though.

Well this is a nice mess to wake up to. The triple rubber banded glad wrap lid was about a metre away on the floor.
Only pitched the yeast at 4 pm yesterday.

image.jpg

bradsbrew said:
Well this is a nice mess to wake up to. The triple rubber banded glad wrap lid was about a metre away on the floor.
Only pitched the yeast at 4 pm yesterday.
Fark

Here is my Red IPA - OG = 1.078 using an English Ale Yeast & 195g hops @ 95Ibu

Due to a Braumeister tap sleeve issue I couldnt get the wort out of the kette..... I had to remove the entire tap and had a whoosh of hops debris and trub go from the kettle to the FV.

You can see in these pictures there is a huge amount of hops at the surface of the krausen and at the base of the FV.

Definately will be racking to secondary.

Red IPA 1.JPG Red IPA - Krausen.JPG

Red IPA - Krausen Edge.JPG

3068 second run in the brewery. This is the top crop from the first run and pitched 1 month later. 200ml of yeast was pitched to give 222 billion cells (20% viability).

Pitched at 6:30 last night and this morning having breaky at 7am heard some strange sounds in the kitchen. Go down to check it out to find that oozing pile of hot yeastyness. Running the ferment temp too warm as its 24C in my brewery but I'm running low and need a weizen fix. Read it may get bubblegum flavours.

Top cropped and will split into vials and freeze.

3060 gen ii.jpg

61 brews and this has happened only once, I put 2x S33 yeast into a strong wort with lots of table sugar.

PB020029_zps1b7a504e.jpg

Pitched my WY1469 starter into 60L of my landlord homage yesterday.

Greeted by this today.

Kraussen Explosion 1469.jpg

Literally, a krausen explosion.

What happened is I have the airlock in a rubber bung in a 48mm hole in the lid. The kraussen has actualy caused the airlock bung to explode out and sprayed yeast on all 4 sides of the fridge and the top. Luckily the krausen hasn't yet climbed over the lid.

I had fermcontrol in there too!

Normally I run a blow-off tube for a brew this big with this little headspace, but my racking tube was festy and needed replacing, but because the bung actually blew out I suspect that would've happened anyway

6 blowoff thermoprobe.jpg5 60L frankenfermenter.jpg

Just picked up a replacement tube, Absolute wasn't open yesterday :(

Back