Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's what I've drummed up over the last few weeks, hoping to make a Stone and Wood clone this weekend! BIAB style of course! :beerbang:

IMG_0299.JPG

So this is the base. I wanted to build a frame that went around the pot to stop it from falling over, yet have enough room to one day build insulation around the pot. I need to get some bigger tiles or a better way to raise the burner so the control arm sits above the bottom of the frame, ideas?

IMG_0300.JPG

This is the side on view. Will attach a hook to the top with some rope so that I can tie the bag up and let it hang easily.

IMG_0301.JPG

The burner inside the cube, fits nicely.

C&C welcome!

Nicely done!

What did you build the frame out of?

Cheers

Ahhhhh, thanks. Riveted by the look?

Cheers

Except the mast. It's screwed so it can be dismantled for easy mobility.

Well after much procrastination and staring at the steel bought around a year ago I finally made the time and got around to building the 'Woolven Street Brewery' brew rig. With no real design in mind it was a design as I went event. I originally had settled on a brew tree but as the build went on it evolved slightly. I'm stoked with how it ended up, which isn't that hard after considering the old table, chair, bricks and misc CRAP i've put up with for the last umpteen years (so looking forward to tomorrows tip run).

View attachment 45981
Bare bones and in high temp gun metal...mmmm...

View attachment 45982
Burners fitted and on board gas bottle

View attachment 45983

View attachment 45984

View attachment 45985

View attachment 45986
Counter flow chiller to sit under the Kettle.

Things left to be sorted (before the virgin mash) include:
-replacing my copper sparge manifold with a s/s false bottom that hinges in half. I want to keep my mash tun gas heated so a manifold that hinges in half is the only other solution I can come up with. If you look at my gallery you can see my mash agitator, which is lid mounted (no sore arms here).
-March 815 to be fitted in front of the gas tank I plan to whirl pool through the CF chiller hence the 815. Water filter to be fitted on board somewhere also.
-S/S camloc fittings for all hose connection
-Temp dials to both the HLT and Kettle
-mount CF chiller
-mount water filter
-a few valves and fitting to sort

I've put this off for too long so its no brewing until its in final trim......Off to PNG for 3 weeks on Monday so upon return I have 1 1/2 days to get it sorted as I need to brew before I fly back out again.

Anyway hope you guys enjoy the eye candy.

Cheers
Smashin :icon_cheers:

Bit of an update. Fitted the plate chiller and March 815 pump. First brew executed today on the new brew rig. A sort of Belgium Pale (amber) ale. All in all the brew day was easier with no hot water splashing or stiring and the chill was heaps quicker with the whirl pool being done at the same time as the chill. Very happy, only a few mod to do but no rush on these, i.e fix up the sparge arm and fit a dial temp gauge to the kettle and maybe an electric thermo stat controlled heating element for the HLT and build a cover over the March pump so I don't spill water over it.

IMG_0068.jpg
Maiden voyage on SS Woolven St Mk2
IMG_0071.jpg
False bottom/manifold worked a treat, fitting it staight after the mash out means I still can direct fire the MLT and use my electric agitator during the mash.
IMG_0072.jpg
Whirl pooling through the plate chiller :D

Smashin :icon_chickcheers:

How long does it take to chill a double batch this way?

I reckon the full 42L was down to ~35 ish in about 15min, the out let of the plate chiller was only 3-4 deg over the tap water temp (by feel), Pitty I didn't have the temp gauge on the kettle or even the outlet of the plate chiller as I reckon it could even go straight into the fermenter after this 15/20min and be at pitching temp. I wanted this set up as it seams to be the best of both worlds (immersion/CFC), the whole batch is crash chilled to 35-40 deg quick smart by which time the temp out of the Plate chiller means the wort can go straight form the CFC to the fermenter. A bit of practice will have this refined. Note also there was a nice tight pile of tub in the center of the kettle.

Smashin :icon_cheers:

there are some really neat designs here. My little job, out on the back balcony. Making use of the trolley and the weights bench for a stand.

IMG_1179.JPG
The rig

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG
emptying the tun

I need to get some bigger tiles or a better way to raise the burner so the control arm sits above the bottom of the frame, ideas?

Good quality large castor wheels under the frame will make it more mobile and lift the whole jobby 75mm or more?

there are some really neat designs here. My little job, out on the back balcony. Making use of the trolley and the weights bench for a stand.

View attachment 46751
The rig

View attachment 46752

View attachment 46753
emptying the tun

How do you wrap/bend wood like that? I assume steaming, its ply yeah? but how, as in - what exactly do you do to it?

Screwing tips are not required! :p :lol:

BTW: Cool rig, where is the kettle? That tiny pot?

How do you wrap/bend wood like that? I assume steaming, its ply yeah? but how, as in - what exactly do you do to it?

Screwing tips are not required! :p :lol:

BTW: Cool rig, where is the kettle? That tiny pot?

Yeah its ply. Funny about the steam thing, my mate told me about doing that AFTER I had wrapped the keg :blink: . I layed it out, screwed some pine spacers into it then got a ratchet tie down and basically 'wraped' the thing up and used the ratched to pull it together. Then put the aluminium strips round it. Was a pain, but is awsome at holding temp!

Ha, use to be my extract boil pot, I just use it now to move water and wort from hlt to mlt. That pic is a few months old, Have another keggle on gas burner now for the kettle, but then I used the HLT. Mash in with water and grain, heat rest of water in HLT, add rest of water to mash to raise temp to mash out, then put it all back into the HLT for the boil, let it cool overnight and voila, almost beer :icon_drool2:

Yeah its ply. Funny about the steam thing, my mate told me about doing that AFTER I had wrapped the keg :blink: . I layed it out, screwed some pine spacers into it then got a ratchet tie down and basically 'wraped' the thing up and used the ratched to pull it together. Then put the aluminium strips round it. Was a pain, but is awsome at holding temp!

Ha, use to be my extract boil pot, I just use it now to move water and wort from hlt to mlt. That pic is a few months old, Have another keggle on gas burner now for the kettle, but then I used the HLT. Mash in with water and grain, heat rest of water in HLT, add rest of water to mash to raise temp to mash out, then put it all back into the HLT for the boil, let it cool overnight and voila, almost beer :icon_drool2:

Good work mate! Thanks for the info.. yeah it looks great for insulation!

Can you boil in a vessel that is wrapped in tape? Not being smart, just curious..

So we still have pics to come of the current rig then? Awesome... look forward to it! :)

:icon_cheers:

Just thought i would post some pics of my humble rig. As you may notice i work in the timber industry. Well i make truss roofs which is why the rig is all gangnailed together. Doesn't look very fancy but has done the job for many a brew. :icon_cheers:

DSC01515.JPG

DSC01516.JPG

Can you boil in a vessel that is wrapped in tape? Not being smart, just curious..

Are you referring to the vessel on the left? Pretty sure I can see a grey rubber mat under all that tape.
However, I do have a fait bit of tape on my own pot and I happily boil in it, though I don't think the tape is in direct contact with the pot...

Just thought i would post some pics of my humble rig. As you may notice i work in the timber industry. Well i make truss roofs which is why the rig is all gangnailed together. Doesn't look very fancy but has done the job for many a brew. :icon_cheers:

Very cool setup, building a frame for brewing from trusses. I love to build with trusses and frames, always looks good and very strong.

Did you build on the equipment at work? Usually they build everything from treated pine at our local factory.

Good work mate! Thanks for the info.. yeah it looks great for insulation!

So we still have pics to come of the current rig then? Awesome... look forward to it! :)

:icon_cheers:

I wraped the thing in foil, blue mat, then wrapped the whole thing in tape. Some of the tape is in direct contact with the keg, no issues at all. I was supprised really thought it would melt.

Yeah I'll get the pics up soon :icon_cheers:

Nice job Drew.

Can I ask what you have under that burner under your 'Bucket O Death' there to prevent scorching/flaming?!

Has it stopped all ascorching of the wood underneath?

Considering putting my Italian Spiral onto my (wooden) brewstand as I get bored waiting for the electric immersion to do its' thing. But the backyard floor is toasting after a 90 minute boil, bit worried about having a gas burner in such close proximity to wood (pine in my case.)

Nice job Drew.

Can I ask what you have under that burner under your 'Bucket O Death' there to prevent scorching/flaming?!

Has it stopped all ascorching of the wood underneath?

Considering putting my Italian Spiral onto my (wooden) brewstand as I get bored waiting for the electric immersion to do its' thing. But the backyard floor is toasting after a 90 minute boil, bit worried about having a gas burner in such close proximity to wood (pine in my case.)

I went to Bunnings and got wet area flooring boards. Like a thick hardiflex (fibrecement) if that makes sense. Was lucky they had a packing sheet there with a few nails in them, which they gave to me (helps when your boss has a big account with them). It does the job well, the top one with the 3 ring burner on it cen get quite hot, but it won't burn the wood.

Greg: Trusses are great IMO they work a treat. Yea i did just build it at work one arvo (only took half an hour). And yes all we use is H2 timber now, sometimes H3 CCA. I build quite a lot of little nick nacks at work out of gangnails.

Thanks. Trip to Bunnings looms. Think I'll triple up on them and try and make a little 'nest' for my 'phoenix' flamer with flashing of some kind as well.
Was worried for about 5 minutes there that I didn't have any faffing around with my brew gear to be doing! What was I thinking! So much to do!!! B)

Latest posts

Back