Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grand masterpiece.

image.jpg

Spudhook like to postcount ratio - 11:3. Surely a site record. For comparison, Manticle would need another 64000 likes to achieve this.

Well deserved though.

Heres my low budget rig. All up around $300 spent. Including shelving from masters. Runs a 12v brown pump to lift from HLT to esky, gravity to boiler. 2× 2000w elements in the HLT and Boiler. HLT is a bit small at 19l but works fine as I batch sparge, so i just fill it twice heats up very quickly.

1408060901077.jpg

1408061289125.jpg

My DIY Keggle RIMS. Got it down now. Sitting at about 85% efficiency. Pretty happy overall.

Cheers
Matty

10488320_1525103177713574_8431151258230229839_n.jpg

hey matty, that is a sweet looking setup. I especially like how you don't have to move any hoses when going from recirc mash to fly sparge. very well thought out!

pilgrimspiss said:
My DIY Keggle RIMS. Got it down now. Sitting at about 85% efficiency. Pretty happy overall.

Cheers
Matty
I also love the setup with the hoses ... great looking system.

mb-squared said:
hey matty, that is a sweet looking setup. I especially like how you don't have to move any hoses when going from recirc mash to fly sparge. very well thought out!
I heat my strike water in the mash tun via RIMS recirc while heating sparge water in the HLT at the same time. Saves a heap of time heating. Mash in the old way with bucket and paddle, no underletting. Also have a more consistent temp mashing in as the mash tun is warmed up to stirke temp as well.Then I run sparge water through the RIMS tube. This cleans the RIMS element SUPER well. Saves me more time at the end of the day for drinking!!

Cheers
Matty

Hi all

Just thought I’d throw some pics up of my (slow) control panel build to date; it’s not finished, but I stood back last night and had a "Geez that doesn’t look too bad" moment, so I thought I’d share - along with a couple of learnings I’ve had so far.

Basically like many others, I’m putting together my version of the Electric Brewery setup; just a slightly more budget conscious version :)
I've cut out a few things, used a couple of lit switches rather than separate components, used a combined Volt/Amp meter, and a smaller box (300x200x150).

IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG

[SIZE=10.5pt]The main thing that’s been bloody tricky has been planning and laying out the components within the box. I went with the smaller box half because I could get it pretty cheaply compared to the next size up, and half because for the foreseeable future space will be a bit of an issue, so smaller is better. It will end up turning out pretty well, but for anyone else going down this path, if you can afford the cash and space, GO A BIGGER BOX!!! I wasted hours messing around with a layout in MS Viso shifting stuff around until I found something that worked - what I didn’t comprehend beforehand was that:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]My 300 x 200 front panel is actually only 295x195, and is slightly smaller than the box itself.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]The box has a 20mm lip all the way around which makes the "usable" part of the front panel in terms of mounting stuff only 255x155[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]Any deep components can’t be too close to the edge that swings open, as the component will swing out and hit the lip of the box; this meant that instead of mounting my 3 PIDs horizontally, I had to mount them vertically[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]The door latch takes up a bloody lot of space by the time it swings open! You'll see that even with careful placement of the components I still had to cut and file some of the latch to make everything work[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Apart from this, my biggest enemy has been finding the bloody time to mess about with things, there’s just not enough hours in the day! In the short term, the control panel will be the best part of the whole brewery! And I won’t be using some things as yet (I don’t have pumps yet, we're still doing things the old fashioned way with gravity!), but I figure if I was going to build a box I may as well do it properly the first time. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The other thing which was an eye opener was that when I drew up my circuit wiring, there is 53 separate wiring interconnects, for what I thought was a pretty basic control circuit![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyways, it’s not brewing beer just yet, but it’s getting close - only the internal wiring left, which finally actually brings me back to something I’m good at! (I make a shit of a metal worker!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers[/SIZE]

Baz

I love seeing the control panel builds, I'd have started one myself but electricity scares the shit out of me and I love the ramp times I'm getting with gas HLT and kettle. I will be adding a basic HERMS unit but even that will be a green pump, kettle element and STC1000.

mje1980 said:
The grand masterpiece.
Oh man that is unreal, right down to the detail like the ball valve screwed on in the wrong direction. A testament to no need for flashy shit to make good beer.

mje1980 said:
The grand masterpiece.
Makes me think of a Salvador Dali painting, for some reason.

Must be the colorful insulation.

bazfletch3 said:
Hi all

Just thought I’d throw some pics up of my (slow) control panel build to date; it’s not finished, but I stood back last night and had a "Geez that doesn’t look too bad" moment, so I thought I’d share - along with a couple of learnings I’ve had so far.

Basically like many others, I’m putting together my version of the Electric Brewery setup; just a slightly more budget conscious version :)

I've cut out a few things, used a couple of lit switches rather than separate components, used a combined Volt/Amp meter, and a smaller box (300x200x150).

attachicon.gif
IMG_2496.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2497.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2498.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2499.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2501.JPG

[SIZE=10.5pt]The main thing that’s been bloody tricky has been planning and laying out the components within the box. I went with the smaller box half because I could get it pretty cheaply compared to the next size up, and half because for the foreseeable future space will be a bit of an issue, so smaller is better. It will end up turning out pretty well, but for anyone else going down this path, if you can afford the cash and space, GO A BIGGER BOX!!! I wasted hours messing around with a layout in MS Viso shifting stuff around until I found something that worked - what I didn’t comprehend beforehand was that:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]My 300 x 200 front panel is actually only 295x195, and is slightly smaller than the box itself.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]The box has a 20mm lip all the way around which makes the "usable" part of the front panel in terms of mounting stuff only 255x155[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]Any deep components can’t be too close to the edge that swings open, as the component will swing out and hit the lip of the box; this meant that instead of mounting my 3 PIDs horizontally, I had to mount them vertically[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]The door latch takes up a bloody lot of space by the time it swings open! You'll see that even with careful placement of the components I still had to cut and file some of the latch to make everything work[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Apart from this, my biggest enemy has been finding the bloody time to mess about with things, there’s just not enough hours in the day! In the short term, the control panel will be the best part of the whole brewery! And I won’t be using some things as yet (I don’t have pumps yet, we're still doing things the old fashioned way with gravity!), but I figure if I was going to build a box I may as well do it properly the first time. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The other thing which was an eye opener was that when I drew up my circuit wiring, there is 53 separate wiring interconnects, for what I thought was a pretty basic control circuit![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyways, it’s not brewing beer just yet, but it’s getting close - only the internal wiring left, which finally actually brings me back to something I’m good at! (I make a shit of a metal worker!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers[/SIZE]

Baz
I can foresee some frustrating wiring going into this control panel, looking good though.

gav

gava said:
I can foresee some frustrating wiring going into this control panel, looking good though.

gav
About 2/3rds wired up with not too much skin missing from my knuckles yet :)

Ive got "ahem" rather large hands too which isnt the best!

pilgrimspiss said:

Cheers
Matty
Looks good. But why all the quick disconnect couplings? Looks like your valving controls direction of flow, so no need for disconnecting piping.

Putrino said:
Looks good. But why all the quick disconnect couplings? Looks like your valving controls direction of flow, so no need for disconnecting piping.
Thanks putrino. As you can see from the milk crate pump stand, I still have to add a few things to the rigs frame. I remove the hoses to clean the RIMS tube and pumps. As I work away I like to clean all the vessels and leave them upside down. I prefer camlocks and hoses to hard piping and tube for inspection. Personal preference.
Cheers
Matty

pilgrimspiss said:
Thanks putrino. As you can see from the milk crate pump stand, I still have to add a few things to the rigs frame. I remove the hoses to clean the RIMS tube and pumps. As I work away I like to clean all the vessels and leave them upside down. I prefer camlocks and hoses to hard piping and tube for inspection. Personal preference.
Cheers
Matty
Ahh makes sense. I operate pretty similarly in fact

Back