Should we cull sharks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even know how this is a debate within the community. We've known for a long time sharks live, breed and feed in the ocean. We know the risks of going into the ocean because of said sharks.. they've been there a hell of a lot longer than we ever have and will and we don't really have a right to say 'you've had your fun in your home, but this is our territory now' and start the harpoonin'.

It would be like base jumpers asking for a cull of high-rise buildings because their 'chutes didn't open on the way down. They know the risks of what they're doing..

Maybe instead of investing in the shark cull, we just invest in more of those wave pools.

I'll bring the boogie board.

DU99 said:
Great white not good eating...most sharks used as "flake" are tiger/elephant sharks....do we cull snakes because they can kill people...
We don't even cull humans who kill people, and they know what they are doing, its not for food or that they feel threatened

My daughter's cat tried to kill me, I was lying down and he jusr crawled up and laid across my face...and I reckon he knows exactly what he's doing. He understands every word we are saying, I reckon.

The sounding in that trailer alone is almost terrifying.

Had the chance to do somne culling of my own this morning, driving out along Gympie Rd at Kedron (for those who don't know, major, major arterial road), I'm in right lane of three and about a hundred yards ahead young girl dawdling across the middle lane with face buried in screen of mobile phone. ZShe looks up towards me and cpntinues to dawdle across into my lane. Had I not drawn down hard on the brakes, there would have been one less mobile phone in the world.

Yall need to stay out of the Shark's House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZxzmNy3nc

I think the majority Australians wouldn't want sharks needlessly slaughtered, however politicians in general seem too love opportunities to enforce such a platform as they believe it will win them lots of votes. It's just once again a case of how out of touch they are of their own societies feelings in general.

Maybe if surfers didnt wear black wetsuits that made them look like seals they wouldn't get attacked. as often

Seals are grey and don't have arms and legs. Don't lay on surfboards and swim on the surface. Nice try though :)

mje1980 said:
Seals are grey and don't have arms and legs. Don't lay on surfboards and swim on the surface. Nice try though :)
Except for the black ones B)

244307A600000578-0-image-a-146_1419524457890.jpg

And they wouldn't blink twice.

Wow...can't believe the tone of this thread. 12 attacks have occurred in NSW so far this year, the latest was yesterday where a 65 yo man was attacked by a Great White. There were 3 attacks last year. Hysteria...? No. Just people concerned at a 400% increase in probability of death or dismemberment if you want to step foot in the water.

These people being attacked aren't going out of their way to entice the sharks, they aren't burleying up the water to get some up, close and personal 'selfies' to show their mates. They're simply trying to enjoy a recreational activity that hundreds of thousands of people over the world enjoy. To suggest that they're idiots, or are getting what they deserve is absolutely abhorrent. They're just normal people doing something they love, someone's father, someone's daughter, your local school teacher or GP.

Do I support a shark cull? Not at this point. Should the option be open for debate? Of course. This how negations work. You lowball, I highball, we meet somewhere in the middle. But, at the end of the day, the frequency of attacks presently occurring is unacceptable and something needs to be done.

I wasn't suggesting the shark attack victims, swimmers, surfers or divers are idiots.
I was talking about idiots in the general population.

Just to be clear.

I think you've misunderstood a great deal of people's perspective too. No-one is blaming the victims (except stu who thinks they dress like seals and coat themselves in chum).
Mentioning understanding risk is exactly that - most who go out understand and accept risk. The conclusion drawn if the risk becomes reality is not 'ha, suffer, you deserve it'; it's that we shouldn't react by cutting the head off every shark we can find. That kind of reaction is quite hysterical.

If someone goes bushwalking in long grass in hot weather, they may get bitten by a snake. Most serious bushwalkers probably know and accept the risk and take some precautions. Might still get bitten, won't blame them, won't napalm the grass either.

Further, using terms like 400% increase when you're talking about numbers like 12 a year is hyperbole.

Maybe it would be wise if surfers didnt go out when sharks where about

timmyf said:

Do I support a shark cull? Not at this point. Should the option be open for debate? Of course. This how negations work.
Damn.

Didnt realise that all this could sorted by just asking the sharks if we could negotiate a deal where they stopped attacking people in the ocean

Ducatiboy stu said:
Damn.

Didnt realise that all this could sorted by just asking the sharks if we could negotiate a deal where they stopped attacking people in the ocean
You're one serious piece of work...

Back