Should I Bottle.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCC

Reaction score
put down my first partial 15 days ago, checking the fg the last 2 days it was 1008, cool i thought nice saturday arvo bottling, got it out of the fridge as it was a lager put it on the bench and then i have airlock activity again for the last 20 mins it been bubbling ,sould i still bottle???
don't want to wreck this one cause it's for linz's cobblers case.
cheers occ

the gas in your headspace has warmed up and expanded, hence the bubbling
trust your hydrometer, not your 'bloop'
if a low pressure cell moves over your house, it'll make it bloop as well

thanks tangent ,just got me guessin when it started bloopin again...

When your wort ferments, it produces carbon dioxide. Most ends up coming out the airlock, but a fair amount stays in solution. We can see this by the amount of frothiness in the sample tube when we take an sg sample and by the way the gas comes out of solution attached to the hydrometer making it rise up and give false readings.

As your wort warms up, some of this dissolved carbon dioxide comes out of solution and bubbles out the fermenter. You could have a fermenter sitting there for months, every so often gloomping. Also, as already noted, your fermenter acts as a big barometer and gloomps due to atmospheric changes.

Use the hydrometer, a stable reading over 2-3 days means that you can think about kegging, bottling or racking.

trust the hydrometer luke !!!! yes master ...

Latest posts

Back