Should I Be Worried? (about My Brew)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chill1

Reaction score
I'm currently doing my first Coopers Pale Ale kit using recultured yeast from 2 commerical Coopers mid-strength stubbies ...

Background:

• a little over a week ago, I boiled up approx 500ml of water with 50grams of malt extract, I cooled then added the dregs of 2 mid strength coopers stubbies ... I waited for a couple of days, then pitched when a good head was evident on top of the mixture.
  • I pitched into the Coopers Pale Ale + Brew Enhancer 2 wort about 6 days ago, and felt comforatable when bubbling started in the air-lock about 2 days later (not rigorous/about once every minute).
  • Yesterday (5 days after pitching) I was concerned because whilst the fermenter was still bubbling about once a minute, there was only a very thin film of foam on the surface (about 1 - 2 mm) ... given the temp has constantly been between 19 - 21 degrees, I would have expected greater fermentation and a thicker foam (which is what I normally get using dry yeast)
  • This morning (6 days after pitching) I took a gravity measurement, and to my surprise it has not moved at all ... it still shows in the 'Beer Start' colour band.
Is this just taking longer because I didn't pitch sufficient yeast ... and if yes, should I just leave it?
Is the specific gravity not moving because there is infact no yeast working at all?
What is the best option for getting this moving?

Also, I have another starter going at the moment which I was intending to use for another batch of Coopers ... should I pull the air lock out, shove in a sterilised funnel and poor this starter into my current wort?

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

Appreciate any help

• This morning (6 days after pitching) I took a gravity measurement, and to my surprise it has not moved at all ... it still shows in the 'Beer Start' colour band.

What is the actual gravity?

edit: what was the actual OG? (or alternatively, if unsure, what was the volume?)

Butters has got the right questions there, without this info it is hard to help.
There was a thread going the other day about Coopers yeast, here is my post about my experiences with it. A 500ml starter is too small but it should get going. Mine took six days to get from 1060 to 1040 with very little krausen, with some persuasion it finished at 1008. Give the fermenter a swirl a couple of times a day to rouse the yeast and it should finish the job.

Cheers
Gavo.

I'm currently doing my first Coopers Pale Ale kit using recultured yeast from 2 commerical Coopers mid-strength stubbies ...

Background:

• a little over a week ago, I boiled up approx 500ml of water with 50grams of malt extract, I cooled then added the dregs of 2 mid strength coopers stubbies ... I waited for a couple of days, then pitched when a good head was evident on top of the mixture.
  • I pitched into the Coopers Pale Ale + Brew Enhancer 2 wort about 6 days ago, and felt comforatable when bubbling started in the air-lock about 2 days later (not rigorous/about once every minute).
  • Yesterday (5 days after pitching) I was concerned because whilst the fermenter was still bubbling about once a minute, there was only a very thin film of foam on the surface (about 1 - 2 mm) ... given the temp has constantly been between 19 - 21 degrees, I would have expected greater fermentation and a thicker foam (which is what I normally get using dry yeast)
Is this just taking longer because I didn't pitch sufficient yeast ... and if yes, should I just leave it?
Is the specific gravity not moving because there is infact no yeast working at all?
What is the best option for getting this moving?

Also, I have another starter going at the moment which I was intending to use for another batch of Coopers ... should I pull the air lock out, shove in a sterilised funnel and poor this starter into my current wort?

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

Appreciate any help

I'd be very surprised if you've had signs of fermentation without dropping any gravity points at all and I'd be looking elsewhere for answers.

Firstly, are you sure you're reading your hydrometer correctly?
Secondly, how does the brew taste at this point?
Thirdly, as already asked what gravity is it showing? (ignore 'beer start band' and read the numbers)

When you're "stepping up" a starter, do you pour off the already fermented "wort" or just add to it?

When you're "stepping up" a starter, do you pour off the already fermented "wort" or just add to it?

Depends (like so many things in HB)....
If the starter is done with no post-pitch aeration, and held at 'normal' ferment temps, you could pitch the lot. However, some continually aerate their starters (either with a stone, intermittent shaking, or on a stir plate), and keep it in the temperature band most suited for propogation, as opposed to fermentation (ie, around the 25C ish mark). As a result of aeration and warmer temps, brewers that make their starters in this method will generally pour the liquid off, to eliminate (any possible) off flavours going into the main batch.

UPDATE:

I measured the specific gravity to be approx 1.034 ... this is in the orange 'start beer' band which covers 1.03 - 1.04.

Also, after swirling the beer around in the fermenter (without moving lid) the foam increases to a couple of inches thick, and has the appearance of a beer head. I also tasted it ... and whilst being slightly sweet, has a great aftertaste and will probably taste great if I can get fermentation to complete.

Any suggestions?

I'd say its probably fine Chill1, if you have underpitched (which there is a high possibility) your yeast my crash out early. the swirl may have helped.. i'd say time is your best bet. just give it a while.

agree with fourstar...if it is at 1034, it looks like it had a slight drop. Swirl daily for a couple of days, it should take off again.

Chill1, the thing about reculturing yeasts is that even though you are getting obvious signs of activity it doesn't mean that you actually have a big dose of yeast cells happening compared to a sachet of dried yeast. I have used Coopers bottles a couple of times only but on both occasions I used the dregs from two tallies of Coopers Sparkling and even so it was a bit slow to take off. Next time I'll use three tallies (on special at Liquorland for $5 each if you buy 3).

Latest posts

Back